Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The beginnings of a Grey Knights army

Grey Knights

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

John Thompson

John Thompson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 266 posts

Hey everyone!

With 8th edition well underway, I suddenly found myself without an army to not play with, as I sold the last army that I never really played with.

Since I never quite fancy painting a horde army (elite armies take me long enough due to practiced procrastination), I wanted to do a small-ish army that is suitable to easilly paint to a decent tabletop quallity. This led me to the Grey Knights!

With an army-list in mind and the whole lot purchased (so that there's no turning back), I started to think of a colour-scheme. I don't really like the standard blue-ish silver armour that GW uses, so I went with a somewhat more aged, burnished look by adding copper to an already dirty silver. 

HQ 1, Brotherhood Champion:

pla3Yq4.jpg

N6WUUnY.jpg

As there is no official model for the Bro-Champ, I did a kit-bash for him, with legs from the regular marine Assault squad, head,sword and pole from the GK terminators and the head of a Nemesis Warding stave as his Iron Halo. Aside from the banner/book pole, I also put him on a raised bit on his base to make him stand out a bit more inbetween all the other marines.

Troops 1, Strike Squad:

UsKZcwO.jpg

Basic 5 man Strike Squad with Falchions. I've given all my (2) Justicars Halberds to make them stand amongst their squads.

Fast Attack, Interceptor Squad:

G1S9PSb.jpg

6-man Interceptor Squad, again with full Falchions and Halberd on the Justicar.

Group-shot, because everyone likes group-shots..:

qv9hNwX.jpg

Let me know what you think!

• Prot, Reclusiarch Darius, skarn and 5 others like this

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,220 posts

Beautiful. If such a deadly force could be viewed as beautiful! Nice work on the metallics... very unique. I don't know if it's the lighting but there's almost a champagne tint to the metallics (to me at least).

The swords are great, and the dark pauldrons are definitely unique and standout. You've done a great job on that squad. Love the barehead too (we need more people willing to do those!)

Thanks for posting those. Keep it going.

• Gentlemanloser likes this

Aothaine

Aothaine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 891 posts

Love the color of that armor! That is exactly what I want for my custodes. Would you mind sharing how do did the silver/copper? I would really appreciate it.

Damn fine job on both the sword and the back of the book! The book looks like silk or satan to me. If you wouldn't mind sharing how you painted the book I woudl also appreciate that. ^_^

swordofmandulis

swordofmandulis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 102 posts

Amazing colour and overall paint job, looks like titanium finish. love it.

John Thompson

John Thompson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 266 posts

Thanks a lot guys!

Beautiful. If such a deadly force could be viewed as beautiful! Nice work on the metallics... very unique. I don't know if it's the lighting but there's almost a champagne tint to the metallics (to me at least).

The swords are great, and the dark pauldrons are definitely unique and standout. You've done a great job on that squad. Love the barehead too (we need more people willing to do those!)

Thanks for posting those. Keep it going.

It's not the light, the armour indeed has a warm, brownish tint in it, as I'm not too keen on the blue-silver that GW uses.

As for the black pauldrons and guns; I wanted the swords and white helmets to stand out the most, so opted not to use the reds that (again) GW has used, as that would clash too much for my liking.

The only thing I need to think of now is to do some sort of squad-markings, but I don't yet have any ideas for that.

Love the color of that armor! That is exactly what I want for my custodes. Would you mind sharing how do did the silver/copper? I would really appreciate it.

Damn fine job on both the sword and the back of the book! The book looks like silk or satan to me. If you wouldn't mind sharing how you painted the book I woudl also appreciate that. happy.png

Thanks! The armour is a 3-1 mix of Exhaust Manifold - Copper, both from the Vallejo Metal Color range (the big bottles, which I emptied 3 bottles and 1 bottle in an air-tight jar, so I have enough for the whole army). This was done with the airbrush for speed. Then I did a quick burst over the top of the mini's with pure Exhaust Manifold, again with the airbrush.

After that I did an overall wash of a 1-1 mix of Nuln Oil - Nuln Oil Gloss.

Some parts, like the script, the icons on the armour, the collar and some edges on the top of the backpack, were highlighted with Pale Burnt Metal (Vallejo Metallic Color), though it's not really needed.

The red of the book was Mephiston Red, highlighted with Wildrider Red, shaded with Nuln Oil.

Since painting 5 guys at a time isn't really a quick way to get anything done, and base-coating and washing is easilly done on more minis, I decided to step it up a bit.

By doing the last 15 power armoured Knights all at once.. :-s

Actual 'grey' knights:

ba8SNws.jpg

These are 2x 5 Strikes and 1x 5 Purgators with 4 Psilencers.

And with the metallics and wash done:

L5KRRrw.jpg

I have now also painted all the black bits black (though the Strikes need a second coat over the black parts), so those are almost ready for high-lights!

• Chaplain Dosjetka and Raztalin like this

Reclusiarch Darius

Reclusiarch Darius

++ PUNITOR FURENS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,323 posts

Looks really good man :) wish I had that level of skill. I'm flat out getting 3 colour standard haha. 

Keep up the good work

"Already, you exalt me for my triumphs, when I ask only that you remember me for my treacheries.
Victory is nothing more than survival. It carries no weight of honour or worth beyond what we ascribe to it.
If you wish to grow wise, learn why brothers betray brothers."

Grand Master Khyron, Eighth Brotherhood

"One unbreakable shield against the coming darkness, One last blade, forged in defiance of fate,
Let them be my legacy to the galaxy I conquered. And my final gift to the species I failed."

Inscription upon the Arcus Daemonica, attributed to the Emperor of Mankind

John Thompson

John Thompson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 266 posts

Thanks Darius! I do try to keep my painting as simple as possible to speed things up, with the little time I have to paint in my spare time. This means I cut corners on basic things like the armour, which is basically a base-coat witha a wash, and focus more on the tings that will pull the attention, like hte helmets and force-weapons.

And even then, I do most of that with an airbrush!

Progress has been slow this last week, I've blocked in the black bits on all 15 marines and did the highlights on the black on the 5 Purgators.

More painting tonight (mostly 2 hightlights on black on 10 marines..), and I'll take a picture of what it all looks like then!

• Reclusiarch Darius likes this

John Thompson

John Thompson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 266 posts

So, a tiny update..

I've done the black bits on the 5 Purgators and hopefully continue with the black bits on the 10 Strikes tonight.

Unfortunately, my time to sit down and paint is limited, so it's all a bit slooooooow..

9gplTpw.jpg

• Prot, Reclusiarch Darius, Chaplain Dosjetka and 1 other like this

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,220 posts

Very nice nonetheless! You can't beat batch painting. The results take longer but once you get there, it can be pretty rewarding. :) Great start on the Purgation squad.

Reclusiarch Darius

Reclusiarch Darius

++ PUNITOR FURENS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,323 posts

They're a really fun unit in 8th as well :) mine have been blasting apart so many things. I really should get around to painting up all my PAGK dudes properly. 

"Already, you exalt me for my triumphs, when I ask only that you remember me for my treacheries.
Victory is nothing more than survival. It carries no weight of honour or worth beyond what we ascribe to it.
If you wish to grow wise, learn why brothers betray brothers."

Grand Master Khyron, Eighth Brotherhood

"One unbreakable shield against the coming darkness, One last blade, forged in defiance of fate,
Let them be my legacy to the galaxy I conquered. And my final gift to the species I failed."

Inscription upon the Arcus Daemonica, attributed to the Emperor of Mankind

John Thompson

John Thompson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 266 posts

Thanks guys!

Batch-painting is indeed very rewarding at the end of, but it's not very good for a thread like this, when you only paint for about an hour every 3 days..! :-s

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Grey Knights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users