The beginnings of a Grey Knights army

John Thompson

Hey everyone!

With 8th edition well underway, I suddenly found myself without an army to not play with, as I sold the last army that I never really played with.

Since I never quite fancy painting a horde army (elite armies take me long enough due to practiced procrastination), I wanted to do a small-ish army that is suitable to easilly paint to a decent tabletop quallity. This led me to the Grey Knights!

With an army-list in mind and the whole lot purchased (so that there's no turning back), I started to think of a colour-scheme. I don't really like the standard blue-ish silver armour that GW uses, so I went with a somewhat more aged, burnished look by adding copper to an already dirty silver. 

HQ 1, Brotherhood Champion:

pla3Yq4.jpg

N6WUUnY.jpg

As there is no official model for the Bro-Champ, I did a kit-bash for him, with legs from the regular marine Assault squad, head,sword and pole from the GK terminators and the head of a Nemesis Warding stave as his Iron Halo. Aside from the banner/book pole, I also put him on a raised bit on his base to make him stand out a bit more inbetween all the other marines.

Troops 1, Strike Squad:

UsKZcwO.jpg

Basic 5 man Strike Squad with Falchions. I've given all my (2) Justicars Halberds to make them stand amongst their squads.

Fast Attack, Interceptor Squad:

G1S9PSb.jpg

6-man Interceptor Squad, again with full Falchions and Halberd on the Justicar.

Group-shot, because everyone likes group-shots..:

qv9hNwX.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Beautiful. If such a deadly force could be viewed as beautiful! Nice work on the metallics... very unique. I don't know if it's the lighting but there's almost a champagne tint to the metallics (to me at least).

The swords are great, and the dark pauldrons are definitely unique and standout. You've done a great job on that squad. Love the barehead too (we need more people willing to do those!)

Thanks for posting those. Keep it going.

Love the color of that armor! That is exactly what I want for my custodes. Would you mind sharing how do did the silver/copper? I would really appreciate it.

Damn fine job on both the sword and the back of the book! The book looks like silk or satan to me. If you wouldn't mind sharing how you painted the book I woudl also appreciate that. ^_^

Thanks a lot guys!

Beautiful. If such a deadly force could be viewed as beautiful! Nice work on the metallics... very unique. I don't know if it's the lighting but there's almost a champagne tint to the metallics (to me at least).

The swords are great, and the dark pauldrons are definitely unique and standout. You've done a great job on that squad. Love the barehead too (we need more people willing to do those!)

Thanks for posting those. Keep it going.

It's not the light, the armour indeed has a warm, brownish tint in it, as I'm not too keen on the blue-silver that GW uses.

As for the black pauldrons and guns; I wanted the swords and white helmets to stand out the most, so opted not to use the reds that (again) GW has used, as that would clash too much for my liking.

The only thing I need to think of now is to do some sort of squad-markings, but I don't yet have any ideas for that.

Love the color of that armor! That is exactly what I want for my custodes. Would you mind sharing how do did the silver/copper? I would really appreciate it.

Damn fine job on both the sword and the back of the book! The book looks like silk or satan to me. If you wouldn't mind sharing how you painted the book I woudl also appreciate that. :happy.:

Thanks! The armour is a 3-1 mix of Exhaust Manifold - Copper, both from the Vallejo Metal Color range (the big bottles, which I emptied 3 bottles and 1 bottle in an air-tight jar, so I have enough for the whole army). This was done with the airbrush for speed. Then I did a quick burst over the top of the mini's with pure Exhaust Manifold, again with the airbrush.

After that I did an overall wash of a 1-1 mix of Nuln Oil - Nuln Oil Gloss.

Some parts, like the script, the icons on the armour, the collar and some edges on the top of the backpack, were highlighted with Pale Burnt Metal (Vallejo Metallic Color), though it's not really needed.

The red of the book was Mephiston Red, highlighted with Wildrider Red, shaded with Nuln Oil.

Since painting 5 guys at a time isn't really a quick way to get anything done, and base-coating and washing is easilly done on more minis, I decided to step it up a bit.

By doing the last 15 power armoured Knights all at once.. :-s

Actual 'grey' knights:

ba8SNws.jpg

These are 2x 5 Strikes and 1x 5 Purgators with 4 Psilencers.

And with the metallics and wash done:

L5KRRrw.jpg

I have now also painted all the black bits black (though the Strikes need a second coat over the black parts), so those are almost ready for high-lights!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Darius! I do try to keep my painting as simple as possible to speed things up, with the little time I have to paint in my spare time. This means I cut corners on basic things like the armour, which is basically a base-coat witha a wash, and focus more on the tings that will pull the attention, like hte helmets and force-weapons.

And even then, I do most of that with an airbrush!

Progress has been slow this last week, I've blocked in the black bits on all 15 marines and did the highlights on the black on the 5 Purgators.

More painting tonight (mostly 2 hightlights on black on 10 marines..), and I'll take a picture of what it all looks like then!

• 8 months later...

It's been a long while since I'v posted any updates, which is mainly because progress has been slow. My progress is always slow.

All the power armoured Grey Knights for my 2000p army (which I'll be taking to the Dutch GT in november) are done now:

wX0w4v5.jpg

Because I will need some form of anti-tank/knight/monster, I've also taken 3 Razorbacks with twin-lascannons. The turrets and stormbolters are magnetized, so fully (re)moveble. All 3 are nearly done now, as I painted the 3 of them together:

IibzZCp.jpg8TmyMR5.jpgCeVUP7C.jpggB8XaCY.jpg

Hope you guys like it, going to try to keep the updates a little more regular the next few months!

C&C and any questions are welcome.

John

Thanks guys!

The letterings on the front of the tanks are now done, and with the words "Terra", "Aegis" and "Titan" written on the front I have now officially reached the lowest originality-rating possible for Grey Knights.

Also, the 2 'R's in Terra don't quite align.. :ermm:

mCpPIPd.jpg

Both the turrets and the storm bolters on the tanks are magnetised and can rotate. The lascannons can also rotate up and down. The only storm bolter that can't move or be taken off is the one on the wrist of the Grey Knight passenger comming out the hatch.

g7NqX6I.jpg

Now all I need to do on them is paint some details on the passenger (shoulderpads, bolter, etc) and do some dusting (drybrush) around the tracks.

Not the most impressive update, but here's a picture of what the army looks like as a whole now:

nAQV8ho.jpg

Currently I'm working on the next bit; a set of 2 Stormhawk Interceptors. I have no idea how good or bad they are in game, but we'll just have to see!

After that I just need to do 5 Paladins and the Grand Master Dreadknight and I've got 2000 points of Grey Knights done.

Here's the colour rundown:

Armour:

• The main color is 3 parts Exhaust Manifold 1 part Copper. Mixed 6 and 2 in a big jar. The vajjejo metallics in the big bottle. I could have probably painted this whole army with 3 and 1 bottle, as I still have more than half of the mix left.
  • Wash with a 50/50 mix of NUln Oil and Nuln Oil Gloss
  • The letterings were given a highlight with old Chainmail

Black:

• Abbadon Black Base
  • Highlight Dark Reaper
  • Highlicht Fenrisian Grey

White:

• Fenrisian Grey Base
  • Highlight 50/50 Fenrisian Grey and White Scar
  • Highlight White Scar
  • Shade with a heavilly thinned Dark Reaper

The whites and metals were done with the airbrush, except a white edge-highlight and the shading on the white.

The key with black (or any colour, really) is to not highlight every single edge that you come across. Paint only edges that point upwards and some extra key points instead. Not only does this speed up painting due to painting less edges, it also gives a more natural, less 'glowing' look.

I still have no clue on how I should do the squad markings on the shoulder pads though, so I'm open to any and all ideas.. :-s

Ive recently started grey knights as well but from reading the codex, each brothers markings are unique, so I've been inventing all sorts of red, white and black shield designs.

The codex has some good ideas for shield markings, hope that helps.

Archived