Is it possible to cross the Great Rift?

Frater Cornelius

Say I have some relatives in Imperium Nihilus (the part north of the Rift) or I just want to launch another Crusade, is there a way to cross it? Either going around it or fly through. Can you even see the Atronomican from the other side?

So what you're saying is that if I want to see my realtives, I better pack a sizeable crew? :biggrin.:

Looking at the map, it seems pretty thin at some point. I wouldn't want to go through the center though. Besides, if I fly through the immaterium, what difference does it make? Warp is warp.

Edit: Note that on this map there are two points marked as 'Temporary Rift Corridor'. Guess the Daemons are nicer in this part of the galaxy.

Edited by Frater Cornelius

I assume the edges of the rift are like the edges of the Eye, as described in the second BL book? It's tolerable sailing around inside the Eye or outside the Eye, it's crossing the warpstorm/realspace overlap that wreaks your ship (except at the Cadian gate, where a crossover without major hassle is possible.
The passages in the rift are probably similar, some points where the intensity of the storm is low enough that you can sail through without catastrophic losses.

This explanation would also allow the forces inside the Eye to travel along the rift in relative safety, only emerging at either of the two passages (there might be more exit points that only go in/out of the rift, not through though).

Well, going by real world theories, to cross dimensions it takes a tremendous amount of energy so I’d imagine the rift is so difficult because it requires you to cross dimensions from real space into the warp, and then from the warp back into realspace (considering it seems like it was made from just dragging the eye across the Imperium lengthwise?) so your ship would be stressed to the power of two instead of a single jump tunneling through the warp?