What firing a .950 round by a human looks like?

Kastor Krieg

Calgar's Siege described HB rounds being 20mm, which is used in autocannons or anti-material rifles like the Mauser. We are talking from 20x82mm up to 20x128mm. The .950 JDJ uses the 20x110mm Vulcan as its parent case. In this case the author did get it right, apparently.

Interestingly, 20mm is also used in various gatling guns. Do we know what caliber the Punisher Gatling uses? Given that it is also S5 and deals 1 damage, probably 20mm as well, but different as it does not have the same AP.

20mm refers specifically to the diameter, not the case length, so HB rounds being 20mm does not necessarily mean they are the same as our 20mm autocannon rounds.  There are currently 25x40mm and 25x59mm grenades out there which would be more feasible.

Practically speaking, how would an ammo feed belt that's well over 5" wide work (e.g. like the one on an Oerlikon autocannon), even if you're an 8' tall power armoured giant?

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure the ammo feed of a heavy bolter has external width of at least 6".

These types of discussions are fun and interesting for about 5 minutes. Just before you realize how terrible the inconsistencies of lore and logic of your favorite universe is.

That's not nearly close to a bolter. Firstly a .950 actually is far smaller of a round, shorter than a bolter. Secondly all bolts are in fact two stage projectiles with INSANE velocity as they now being described with greater frequency of being hypersonic in close quarters- which means this isn't just due to the rocket. That would take time to accelerate and would be worthless in close quarters. In order to get hypersonic velocities out the barrel you need the kicker charge to be hypersonic, and for those unaware hypersonic is classified as Mach 5 to Mach 10, or a minimum of 1,715 meters per second.

Cup9HIBWEAAoLkr.jpg

Now thanks to Deathwing we have a fairly good look at what a proper bolter round looks like a detailed model and, that is significantly longer than the .950 jdj. in fact this is more comparable to autocannon rounds, and one guy I know on another forum calculated the size of the storm bolter rounds to be around 19x100mm, which explains their speed and power for being "merely" 19mm projectiles. If they were just using standard slugs without special sci fi penetrating tips, explosives, and rocket fuel this would make a bolter "merely" peer with anti-aircraft autocannons. Slap those extra tidbits on and you've got something more akin to high power chainguns, only able to fire hypersonic projectiles depending upon the load.

The hypersonic nature of bolters and the kicker charge also explains why humans can't use astartes bolters compared to their own even though they're the same caliber, and why astartes bolters are insanely heavy compared to standard ones.

How is a .95 smaller than a Bolter, which is a .75?

Or do you only mean length? Because I just google searched the round (they didn't show it in the video) and it's huge

Edited by Arkangilos

That's not nearly close to a bolter. Firstly a .950 actually is far smaller of a round, shorter than a bolter. Secondly all bolts are in fact two stage projectiles with INSANE velocity as they now being described with greater frequency of being hypersonic in close quarters- which means this isn't just due to the rocket. That would take time to accelerate and would be worthless in close quarters. In order to get hypersonic velocities out the barrel you need the kicker charge to be hypersonic, and for those unaware hypersonic is classified as Mach 5 to Mach 10, or a minimum of 1,715 meters per second.

Cup9HIBWEAAoLkr.jpg

Now thanks to Deathwing we have a fairly good look at what a proper bolter round looks like a detailed model and, that is significantly longer than the .950 jdj. in fact this is more comparable to autocannon rounds, and one guy I know on another forum calculated the size of the storm bolter rounds to be around 19x100mm, which explains their speed and power for being "merely" 19mm projectiles. If they were just using standard slugs without special sci fi penetrating tips, explosives, and rocket fuel this would make a bolter "merely" peer with anti-aircraft autocannons. Slap those extra tidbits on and you've got something more akin to high power chainguns, only able to fire hypersonic projectiles depending upon the load.

The hypersonic nature of bolters and the kicker charge also explains why humans can't use astartes bolters compared to their own even though they're the same caliber, and why astartes bolters are insanely heavy compared to standard ones.

How is a .95 smaller than a Bolter, which is a .75?

Or do you only mean length? Because I just google searched the round (they didn't show it in the video) and it's huge

Length. The JDJ, while fat, is fairly short in comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

The largest caliber rifle I have fired (which is also part of my collection) is the .450 Marlin. I can only image how my shoulder would feel after shooting these monsters. Maybe I'll make time this weekend to go shooting.

Edited by Legionaire of the VIIth