What is Chapter Approved?

rgr_maddog

Saw some interesting things in the Warhammer-community site. When talking about designing Landraiders, it stated "Space Wolves assault vehicle armed with both helfrost and inferno cannons". Reading more, it didn't seem like such new rules were for matched play. Reading more on other forums, some people seem to believe Chapter Approved is a rebalancing that effects all aspects of the game. Anyone know?

Imagine it as a kind of yearly update to the game. So you get a suite of stuff; points changes for matched play, some new rules for Open Play, etc. It's a bit of everything, so the discussion about it is pretty... diverse?

But yeah, the custom Land Raider stuff is only for Open Play.

Are Dreadnoughts being VDR'ed an option?

If not, that's fine; I just think a Grav Cannon with Grav Amp right arm for a Dread could prove interesting, overall.

Otherwise, the popularity of no-sponson Land Raiders to maximize the transport capacity really makes sense to me. I own two Spartans; the things are not cheap, and are difficult to build. A Land Raider with no side sponsons and perhaps 20 power armor model transport capacity is a pretty solid budget Spartan.

As far as the option of putting Helfrost Cannons most likely as a pair in each sponson, probably one pair on each side, sounds like a solid chance to freeze the enemy into a nice, formerly living ice sculpture.

Think 'Generals Handbook' if you are familiar with AoS. Missions, point balancing, some rules for armies without codices and  some rule changes to stop abuse or potentially buffing neglected units (we do not know about the latter part yet, but the former is confirmed).

This rumor is probably true...it foresaw true grit

1 CP shooting phase choose 1 unit within 1" of the enemy and use bolt weapons as if they are pistol 2 type.
1 CP set up a unit on the hunt- deploys at the end of any movement phase within 6" of any board edge and more than 9" away from enemy models.

Warlord Trait
Warlord can fight first even if he did not charge

Relic
Sword- melee S+1, AP-4, D1 c

an re-roll all failed to wound rolls.

Also they said for 3 warlord traits for dark eldar which matches their rumor, so this is what we get lads plus some point recalculation

Edited by lonewolf81

Absolutely not. It's basically just adding additional rules/experiment rules. It is not required.

Krash

If its anything like the GHb for AOS then you will definately need it. It contains matched play updates, new matched play rules, and points updates. Even from that alone its looking pretty mandatory. Itts a bit early to be so definitive on whether its 'optional' or not, but I'd put money on you needing to buy it.

Well I guess all the old school fans will be extremely happy and pleased that True Grit is coming. Sadly I'm not old school, having come to the game in 2014. Correct me as I understand in the past, True Grit was something like shooting bolters and still able to charge. then in 5th Ed, there was no true grit but ALL Grey Hunters came with chainswords, pistols and bolters so could potentially shoot and charge. and the awesome mark of the Wulfen which game a model +D6 attacks and rending. Then 6th Ed, we had to buy our chainswords back.

Now we can shoot nearly ALL bolt weaponry, from old bolters to Primaris bolters, into close combat. This I believe will encourage and beef up Grey Hunters a bit. I say a bit because in the end, bolters and bolters and remain AP0.

All in all, while I'm glad to see this neat rule, I'm somewhat disappointed it isn't a Chapter Tactic. Makes me really really really hope its something to improve our speed, otherwise the True Grit strategem is wasted if we can't get into combat.

Well I guess all the old school fans will be extremely happy and pleased that True Grit is coming. Sadly I'm not old school, having come to the game in 2014. Correct me as I understand in the past, True Grit was something like shooting bolters and still able to charge. then in 5th Ed, there was no true grit but ALL Grey Hunters came with chainswords, pistols and bolters so could potentially shoot and charge. and the awesome mark of the Wulfen which game a model +D6 attacks and rending. Then 6th Ed, we had to buy our chainswords back.

Now we can shoot nearly ALL bolt weaponry, from old bolters to Primaris bolters, into close combat. This I believe will encourage and beef up Grey Hunters a bit. I say a bit because in the end, bolters and bolters and remain AP0.

All in all, while I'm glad to see this neat rule, I'm somewhat disappointed it isn't a Chapter Tactic. Makes me really really really hope its something to improve our speed, otherwise the True Grit strategem is wasted if we can't get into combat.

The original True Grit allowed the Bolter to count as a pistol to,give an extra attack with a CCW. There was also a downside though which I can't quite remember, I think you lost your charge bonus.

This Stratagem is pretty useful but I'm glad it's not our Chapter Tactics as it's too situational.

The original True Grit allowed the Bolter to count as a pistol to,give an extra attack with a CCW. There was also a downside though which I can't quite remember, I think you lost your charge bonus.

This Stratagem is pretty useful but I'm glad it's not our Chapter Tactics as it's too situational.

Cheers. I think I agree, otherwise it'll be one of those traits which only applies to the assault phase, rather than help with the entire turn. As mentioned before, just once, just once, I want something that makes us shoot better or become tougher.

LOL, I just had a crazy idea for a chapter tactic that takes inspiration from the Raven Guard/Alaitoc/Alpha Legion generic trait of -1 to hit if further than 12 inches.

"If a unit attempts to shoot a Space Wolf infantry unit at a distance greater than 12 inches, subtract 1 from TO WOUND ROLLS!"

LOL, instead of making us harder to hit from a distance, make us tougher to hit instead. Behold the power of snow armour! Let it GO!

I think Wolves did very well. Gaining an outflank stratagem is a very big deal, the warlord trait is solid and the relic isn't bad. I was hoping for a chapter tactic but this will do.

Although it looks very likely I wouldn't count on that rumour being 100%.

If true it's an excellent Stratagem, imagine the lists you can run using that Stratagem multiple times.

We can save huge amounts of points on transports for Wulfen, Grey Hunters and Blood Claws too.

I think Wolves did very well. Gaining an outflank stratagem is a very big deal, the warlord trait is solid and the relic isn't bad. I was hoping for a chapter tactic but this will do.

If true it's an excellent Stratagem, imagine the lists you can run using that Stratagem multiple times.

We can save huge amounts of points on transports for Wulfen, Grey Hunters and Blood Claws too.

Stratagems can only be used once per phase so you cant use it twice during deployment.

Except deployment isn't a phase, so the limit doesn't apply there.

I am glad the outflanking is rumoured to be a stratagem rather than a chapter tactic, as it sort of was in a couple wolf detachments in 7th. Now it's something you can use and even build your army around, much more reliably so than back then, but you don't have to.

Stratagems can only be used once per phase so you cant use it twice during deployment.

As Araith has said the rules are clear that Stratagems used before the start of the game are only limited by command points. The Stratagem itself may say it can only be used once but that's unlikely as other Factions deployment Stratagems aren't limited

As Araith has said the rules are clear that Stratagems used before the start of the game are only limited by command points. The Stratagem itself may say it can only be used once but that's unlikely as other Factions deployment Stratagems aren't limited

Correct, 

I also play admech and the stygies strategem that lets you infiltrate a unit can be used multiple times as its done before the start of the game.

However - the leak above says "at the end of a movement phase" so if that is correct you will be limited to one use per round. Wil need to wait and see what the final wording is.

if true though outflanking venerable dreadnoughts should be interesting :biggrin.:

Edited by DanPesci

Correct, 

I also play admech and the stygies strategem that lets you infiltrate a unit can be used multiple times as its done before the start of the game.

However - the leak above says "at the end of a movement phase" so if that is correct you will be limited to one use per round. Wil need to wait and see what the final wording is.

if true though outflanking venerable dreadnoughts should be interesting :biggrin.:

Something tells me tanks/dreadnoughts might be excluded :p

But yes I would love being able to outflank dreads :p

Correct, 

if true though outflanking venerable dreadnoughts should be interesting :D

You use the Stratagem during deployment to place them in reserve, the end of the movement phase is just when they can enter. Anyway until we know it's an actual Stratagem it's pointless arguing over it.