What is Chapter Approved?

rgr_maddog

I think Wolves did very well. Gaining an outflank stratagem is a very big deal, the warlord trait is solid and the relic isn't bad. I was hoping for a chapter tactic but this will do.

Although it looks very likely I wouldn't count on that rumour being 100%.

If true it's an excellent Stratagem, imagine the lists you can run using that Stratagem multiple times.

We can save huge amounts of points on transports for Wulfen, Grey Hunters and Blood Claws too.

Stratagems can only be used once per phase so you cant use it twice during deployment.

As Araith has said the rules are clear that Stratagems used before the start of the game are only limited by command points. The Stratagem itself may say it can only be used once but that's unlikely as other Factions deployment Stratagems aren't limited

Correct, 

I also play admech and the stygies strategem that lets you infiltrate a unit can be used multiple times as its done before the start of the game.

However - the leak above says "at the end of a movement phase" so if that is correct you will be limited to one use per round. Wil need to wait and see what the final wording is.

if true though outflanking venerable dreadnoughts should be interesting :biggrin.:

It is possible that this changes though. Not being able to use the re-roll stratagem for mission rolls might mean the pre game phases are gaining additional rules and restrictions. The frustrating part of this edition for me is how inconsistent they've been with how much value they assign to units that can deepstrike or enable it. Just compare scions, to a drop pod lol.

Edited by Black_Star

God I hate the sneaky Raven Guard. It really is ridiculous that they can sneak up nearly anything, from Hellblasters to Aggressors and don't even count as moving.

Anyway, one of the interesting tidbits lately is a Land Raider being customized with twin hellfrost cannons and Lascannons. The trade off being the capacity of the Land Raider reduced to a mere 5. Oh well, we've been begging for a more chassis for hellfrost cannons other than Dreadnoughts and our flying boxes, at least we get this for Open Play.

It may change but nothing's been hinted for it. The problem ones are the Admech, Raven Guard and Emperor's Children Stratagems as they can move after being deployed so they're a guaranteed first turn charge. Repeat that with multiple units and it's far too powerful.

I get what you are saying, but using the new CA 'roll off for turn 1' way  of deciding, you are far from guaranteed turn 1.

Also if your opponent is wise to it, they will still setup so the only stuff you can easily charge if you do get turn 1 is chaff units. (as my DA playing mate gets to deploy his scouts before i choose where my admech guys go, he can easily screen his whole castle with them for example)

I can see how its super annoying is someone spams like 3 massive squads of CC kastellans or electro priests though :)

It may change but nothing's been hinted for it. The problem ones are the Admech, Raven Guard and Emperor's Children Stratagems as they can move after being deployed so they're a guaranteed first turn charge. Repeat that with multiple units and it's far too powerful.

I get what you are saying, but using the new CA 'roll off for turn 1' way  of deciding, you are far from guaranteed turn 1.

Also if your opponent is wise to it, they will still setup so the only stuff you can easily charge if you do get turn 1 is chaff units. (as my DA playing mate gets to deploy his scouts before i choose where my admech guys go, he can easily screen his whole castle with them for example)

I can see how its super annoying is someone spams like 3 massive squads of CC kastellans or electro priests though :)

As with most things in 40k it only starts being an issue when it's spammed.

You are right though as there are things you can do to defend against it and you are given notice, it's the elite armies that struggle the most as most of these tactics are negated with cheap bubblewrap.

Warhammer TV just confirmed the Space Wolves Warlord Trait is to always fighting first so it looks like the early rumours for the 2 Stratagems, Relic and Trait were accurate for us.

Can't wait to see what's dropped in points, we should be getting some attention there, surely?

Arjac from 140 -> 145

bjorn from 210 -> 200

Canis from 150 -> 125

krom from 119 -> 115

murderfang from 200 -> 170

ulrik from 133 -> 110

grey hunter from 14 -> 13

long fangs from 15 -> 14

TWC  from 45 -> 40 (TWC SS from 15 -> 10)

lord on TWC from 128 -> 108

rune priest from from 68 -> 88

swiftclaws from 31 -> 23

wolf priest from 90 -> 75

stormfang from 155 -> 175

wulfen from 37 -> 28

some TA/Jump pack variants from the units above also got some point decreases

Edited by gnalbel

The outflank stratagem really makes me wanna try tdawg pack leaders on my gh’s and bc’s.

Also all the points drops (and increases) seem reasonable to me.

Edited by Runefyre

oooh Space Wolves points have been leaked.

My army in planning is cheaper across the board with the exception of the blizzard shield on my venerable dread.

Njal in TDA was decreased as well (he is basically an auto include now)

Need to add in more toys with all these points!

Bjorn with the strike first warlord trait seems amazingly good. He can be protected from most shooting with the character rules and careful placement. His primary vulnerability was being charged by a powerful combat unit, where those 8 wounds won't last long.  With that warlord trait, there will be very few situations in which he is at a disadvantage due to his prowess in combat. He can take out a great deal of dedicated melee units if he gets a chance to swing first.

wulfen became great melee units as they shoud be

bjorn with the new warlord trait is awesome

PS: imagine 10 wulfen outflanikg with the new stratagem with reroll charges :tongue.:

At last we will put some hurt to those gunlines

Omg I hadn't thought about my wulfen flanking! That is exactly what I am going to do!

Bjorn with the strike first warlord trait seems amazingly good. He can be protected from most shooting with the character rules and careful placement. His primary vulnerability was being charged by a powerful combat unit, where those 8 wounds won't last long.  With that warlord trait, there will be very few situations in which he is at a disadvantage due to his prowess in combat. He can take out a great deal of dedicated melee units if he gets a chance to swing first.

If multiple units have the same or similar rule that lets them fight first you alternate starting with the controlling players turn, charging models swing first too so Bjorn will always be attacked first if charged

If multiple units have the same or similar rule that lets them fight first you alternate starting with the controlling players turn, charging models swing first too so Bjorn will always be attacked first if charged

The tactical play is that it forces your opponent to use the unit charging Bjorn first or risk Bjorn tearing them to shreds.

The combo play is to spend your CP to let another unit (i.e., a nearby axe/shield dread or another melee power house) fight in melee as if they had charged after the opposing player has used his unit that charged Bjorn (Bjorn can survive a charge intact unless it is a deathstar type unit).

Your opponent probably blew his wad on Bjorn already so not much is lost by delaying Bjorn's attack 1 more round.

You control the attack order doing this.

And if the other guy DIDN'T charge Bjorn is going to have a ton of fun

Biggest impact looking at the point cost for me would be the Grey Hunters, Rune Priest, Bjorn and Wulfen. I hope they justify the point increase for the RP by having him know 2 spells instead of just one in addition to smite. Otherwise that 20 point increase for a subpar libarian is really going to chaffe.

Biggest impact looking at the point cost for me would be the Grey Hunters, Rune Priest, Bjorn and Wulfen. I hope they justify the point increase for the RP by having him know 2 spells instead of just one in addition to smite. Otherwise that 20 point increase for a subpar libarian is really going to chaffe.

The Psychic Hood went down from 26 to 5 points and the Runic Weapons all reduced by a few points.

Overall if you were taking a Rune Priest as an offensive caster it's more expensive by around 17 points but as a defensive psyker the costs has come down by around 4 points.

Personally I think that's quite fluffy for Space Wolves to be honest. The Rune Priest on bike hasn't changed either by the looks of it.