What is Chapter Approved?

rgr_maddog

The change to power fists, thunder hammers and TDAWG  as well as reductions to GH and LF gave me a ton of extra points in my theoretical army (I'm still building/painting it).

I think I added a 2nd WGBL with jump pack to follow my melee line with all the savings

I’m just happy I’ve gotten an extra 90ish points in my core list... I’m actually buying a pack of 15 fenrisian wolves because they’re worth it at 6pts each! Gonn have a grand time with them

Before you splurge on the wolves, just bear in mind that Cyberwolves can be taken as 1 model per unit for just 15 points. If you put a squad of wolves, you'll be forced to commit 30 points, who can run away and die to a stiff breeze. (abysmal LD4).

Having a bunch of single Cyberwolves hidden in ruins can ruin your opponent's deepstriking alpha strike and provide a forgettable (by the opponent) unit to sneak around getting objectives.

You really want a higher leadership on those wolves. If they get damaged at all, you will likely lose as many in the morale phase. I miss the option of including a cyber wolf as a pack leader, although they also have a bad leadership now. I suppose you could add a WP to help, especially since they also got a reduction.

If people want to run wolves I would highly recommend doing so in minimum size units because as said, on average every dead wolf is another dead wolf in the moral phase.

Good advice. Without Harald to buff their leadership keep the packs to a minimum, they are worth the points to deny deepstrike and bubblewrap other units, in the Smite heavy meta they can be crucial first turn.

If the enemy decides to ignore them they can be fantastic for supporting other units in assault by surrounding enemy and preventing fall back moves. It even works against Knights

You really want a higher leadership on those wolves. If they get damaged at all, you will likely lose as many in the morale phase. I miss the option of including a cyber wolf as a pack leader, although they also have a bad leadership now. I suppose you could add a WP to help, especially since they also got a reduction.

You can still take a Cyberwolf as a pack leader, they just have the same leadership so won't help in this situation.

Just played a game with 2 max units of Fen Wolves. I am big fans of this unit now at their point cost. They die so easy but in numbers your enemy will have to focus on them. 15 for 90 points is really good. They are the appropriate smite shield we need and block deep strike well with their large foot-print. And as a bonus the unit is fast and good at assault. Morale is an issue but its fine.

Glad Wulfen got a point decrease. They still need a good delivery method. The BEL stratagem is good but an intelligent opponent can mitigate that with the correct tools. Storm Wolf still probably the best way for them to get to the front-lines.

I must say I'm really disappointed in what was given in CA. My FLGS owner was kind enough to let me have a look even though I can only buy later this week on release date. (made a promise to him on my honour)

One one miserable page for all the updated factions. Basically all were added a warlord trait, a relic, and one or two strategems. Space Wolves were one of the lucky ones with two strategems. But only 2! Against the myriad of strategems the full codexes have, i'm still not sure I can compete with an opponent with full strategems.

On the other hand, the Outflank strategem is back, so finally I can sneak up behind my damn Raven Guard opponent. See how he likes it.

Our Relic is frankly a little pathethic, it's the Krakenbone sword guys, and its back. A Frost Sword with AP-4 that rerolls to wound. That's it. No extra damage. Weep, we got a beatstick relic.

The Warlord Trait, as others have mentioned, is certainly better than what Saga of the Warrior Born has been last few editions. Stick it on Bjorn and he might actually have a chance to survive a genestealer swarm, or Carnifex attack. Actually it'll probably be best on a character which has a lot of attacks like Logan or Ragnar, as it'll force an opponent to really think if he can survive an attack first before he gets to swing.

And lastly, no update on chapter tactics so we're still grey/blue marines without flavor apart from wargear.

Actually the CA changes might, together with the various decrease in cost, level the playing field, but with all the hype, i was mainly expecting two things:

1) Chapter tactics

2) more generic strategems for all combined with some unique ones

As it is, I'm going to try use the Space Marine Strategems next time along with those two given.

Edited by Kasper_Hawser

Chapter Approved changed nothing. SW still lacks of special rules to build firepower or melee force.

If the warlord trait buffers SW units nearby, it's fantastic. But it's not. Single melee character can't manipulate the game in 8th version, except for Mortarion and Khârn.

True Grit looks good. That's all. I won't waste any CP on units which can be crushed by S4 AP-.

Outflank is the only useful thing but your opponents may already learn how to defend DS ability. With proper deployment, DS units will be at least 15" away from valuable targets and LOS will be blocked. 

I feel more and more anxious while CSM, DG and Tyranids are released. They have so many special abilities. You can choose one option and buffer it with psychic, stratagem or other types of units. For example, Khorne Berzerkers can attack twice in fight phase. It means 42 attacks of S6 AP-1. Stratagem allow them to attack once more and WE legion trait add 1 attack to them. It's terrifying. 

Currently, SW is not good at shooting and close combat. Hope our codex can fix everything.

Just be patient guys. Of course there's no chapter tactics or other stuff that'd come with a full codex. That'll come. For now, be glad with the points adjustments and what we do have. The warlord trait is nice for one.

As for the hype, that's also on us. GW said nothing about any chapter tactics. Heck, in all the spoilers they do give the chapter tactics/hive fleet adaptations etc are usually the first thing they spoiler. If you expected more form CA, that's all on us.

If your play group is fine with you using SM stratagems, great! But until the codex is out, we work with what we have.

Just be patient guys. Of course there's no chapter tactics or other stuff that'd come with a full codex. That'll come. For now, be glad with the points adjustments and what we do have. The warlord trait is nice for one.

As for the hype, that's also on us. GW said nothing about any chapter tactics. Heck, in all the spoilers they do give the chapter tactics/hive fleet adaptations etc are usually the first thing they spoiler. If you expected more form CA, that's all on us.

If your play group is fine with you using SM stratagems, great! But until the codex is out, we work with what we have.

totally agree, I'm just glad they've deemed to give us some attention. But there was no way they were gonna release so much new stuff for us it could possibly impact on upcoming codex release sales.

Ill be sticking to my current plan anyway...finish off my admech and wait for our codex to drop before buying anything else wolfy ;)

Edited by DanPesci

totally agree, I'm just glad they've deemed to give us some attention. But there was no way they were gonna release so much new stuff for us it could possibly impact on upcoming codex release sales.

Ill be sticking to my current plan anyway...finish off my admech and wait for our codex to drop before buying anything else wolfy :wink:

That's what I'm doing as well, finishing off my Iron Warriors and Ultramarines (and having a blast with their codices) while I wait patiently for my beloved Wolves.

Plus it's not like I don't have a rather large backlog of Wolves models that need painting anyway :tongue.:

After reading a bit on the new lore/kits/units for the Blood angels and Dark angels I am a bit more at ease with the direction space wolves might go.

Wulfen are here to stay, as I dont think it is equivelant to the black rage of the blood angels.

all space wolves are wulfen, just at different stages, so at the most I expect Primaris to not be as affected by the curse, but some will succumb to it

But as far as we know, wasn't the original Legion pre-Russ free of the curse?  The Primaris are made from the gene-seed of the original Legions.

That's the reason why the Wolves can have a Successor Chapter now.

But as far as we know, wasn't the original Legion pre-Russ free of the curse?  The Primaris are made from the gene-seed of the original Legions.

That's the reason why the Wolves can have a Successor Chapter now.

The curse has manifested before during the Great Crusade, although it was not generally known even to Russ. According to the Primarch Series for Leman Russ, the curse was an anomaly that only became fully known to all the legion during the Dulan Campaign, the very same one Russ dueled with Lion. In fact, Lion also knew about it but kept quiet rather than tell everyone.

According to the rest of what we know, the gene seed of Russ was supposedly unstable and for some reason, only the Fenrisians could adapt to it better than any other human. Apparently  the pre-Russ legion was somehow even more undisciplined and savage than the World Eaters before Russ came in and tempered the Legion with Fenrisian culture into the still savage but cunning and discilpined force we all know and love.

Back to OP, aye, I'll just be glad I have the two strategems and warlord trait, and work with the rest of the generic SM. Along with the points adjustments. Better than nothing, count our blessings.

After reading a bit on the new lore/kits/units for the Blood angels and Dark angels I am a bit more at ease with the direction space wolves might go.

Wulfen are here to stay, as I dont think it is equivelant to the black rage of the blood angels.

all space wolves are wulfen, just at different stages, so at the most I expect Primaris to not be as affected by the curse, but some will succumb to it

Mmm it’s a great excuse to bring back “Mark of the Wulfen” rule...

Mmm it’s a great excuse to bring back “Mark of the Wulfen” rule...

We can only hope. I still remember the glorious days of one Grey Hunter model getting D6 attacks rending.

I really fail to see what we have to complain about in Chapter Approved. GW never mentioned Chapter Tactics and for quite some time have clearly said that each Faction would get at least 1 Stratagem, Relic and Warlord Trait.

Ours are perfectly useable and we were far better treated with points reductions than most other Factions.

Of course Chapter Approved was never going to propel us to the power of Guard or Tyranids, it has meant that we can take more bodies in our lists and have a few extra tricks up our sleeve. It's left us far better off than I expected and a couple of changes are really huge for Wolves.

I really fail to see what we have to complain about in Chapter Approved. GW never mentioned Chapter Tactics and for quite some time have clearly said that each Faction would get at least 1 Stratagem, Relic and Warlord Trait.

Ours are perfectly useable and we were far better treated with points reductions than most other Factions.

Of course Chapter Approved was never going to propel us to the power of Guard or Tyranids, it has meant that we can take more bodies in our lists and have a few extra tricks up our sleeve. It's left us far better off than I expected and a couple of changes are really huge for Wolves.

Apologies, my expectations for Chapter Approved was too high I guess. I really expected more for each faction, including chapter tactics.