What is Chapter Approved?

rgr_maddog

I really fail to see what we have to complain about in Chapter Approved. GW never mentioned Chapter Tactics and for quite some time have clearly said that each Faction would get at least 1 Stratagem, Relic and Warlord Trait.

Ours are perfectly useable and we were far better treated with points reductions than most other Factions.

Of course Chapter Approved was never going to propel us to the power of Guard or Tyranids, it has meant that we can take more bodies in our lists and have a few extra tricks up our sleeve. It's left us far better off than I expected and a couple of changes are really huge for Wolves.

Apologies, my expectations for Chapter Approved was too high I guess. I really expected more for each faction, including chapter tactics.

Given the scarce amount of new rules content within a Codex though they'd be seriously reducing the impact of it by giving more in Chapter Approved.

It's fixed 2 very large issues for Space Wolves which was our vulnerability to Smite spam and needing to pay for expensive transports on a lot of our best Assault units such as Wulfen and Blood Claws.

I wanted to see Fenrisian Wolves drop and hoped for 7ppm but expected 8ppm. 6ppm was far better than I ever imagined and means we have no excuse for being hit hard by first turn Smite spam going forward.

Wulfen are good and a big squad of Blood Claws is great too. Having to pay 300+ points for transport just to make them viable make them a fun but non competitive option.

Now we can safely arrive within charge range turns 1, 2 or 3. We also have that 300+ points to spend on other potentially more useful options. I do understand that Stormwolves were well liked but point for point there are better options especially when including FW.

On top of that we can easily see an average list 150 points and I've got a list that costs around 340 points less than it did before Chapter Approved, being able to fit in an extra Leviathan Dreadnought feels great to be honest.

Depends what smite spam tactics and armies you are concerned about.

The generic answer is more screen and chaff units to prevent the alpha strike type smite attacks.

Once all tricks are played out things change and depend on positioning etc.

What is the fix to vulnerability to smite spam though?

Fenrisian Wolves being reduced to 6ppm. 30 point squads protecting our deployment means the meat of our lists aren't being hit hard turn 1. It gives us at least 1 and possibly 2 turn turns if we go first to try and deal with the worst threats.

Cheap bubble wrap is about the only sure fire way of ensuring your better units aren't destroyed turn 1. You could also have a Rune Priest to deny too and if you're facing no Psykers you can buff the Fenrisian Wolves and any units they are protecting with Storm Caller for an improved save. 6ppm for T4 and a 5+ save isn't bad at all.

Edited by TheWolfLord

Fenrisian Wolves being reduced to 6ppm. 30 point squads protecting our deployment means the meat of our lists aren't being hit hard turn 1. It gives us at least 1 and possibly 2 turn turns if we go first to try and deal with the worst threats.

Cheap bubble wrap is about the only sure fire way of ensuring your better units aren't destroyed turn 1. You could also have a Rune Priest to deny too and if you're facing no Psykers you can buff the Fenrisian Wolves and any units they are protecting with Storm Caller for an improved save. 6ppm for T4 and a 5+ save isn't bad at all.

Oh I see. I wonder what you face that has smite spam in your face turn 1 though. Only thing i can think of is Grey Knights who are limited to one damage, Flying Circus daemons and maybe flying circus Tyranids. But yeah, a cheap screen buffed with a Wolf Priest at that cost is quite good as a counter, though I still think multiple single Cyberwolves is better.

Oh I see. I wonder what you face that has smite spam in your face turn 1 though. Only thing i can think of is Grey Knights who are limited to one damage, Flying Circus daemons and maybe flying circus Tyranids. But yeah, a cheap screen buffed with a Wolf Priest at that cost is quite good as a counter, though I still think multiple single Cyberwolves is better.

It depends on deployment but considering the worst of the current Smite spam lists (Magnus, Morty, lots of Horrors and Malefic Lords) can all move plus advance to be within 18" it's very common you are getting hit first turn.

The risk of providing cover via Storm Caller for a unit of fen wolves is too high as it's putting your RP way too close to the front lines, IMO. At 6ppm, I'd consider using them over cyberwolves, but only in the rare cases I expect to see some serious smite spam. A lone cyberwolf seems a better choice otherwise.

Mmm it’s a great excuse to bring back “Mark of the Wulfen” rule...

Mark always seemed like a pretty lame name for a Wulfen. :P

I can see the cover of that movie on my netflix feed.

IMHO, it's better than "Steve of the Wulfen" or "Frank of the Wulfen."

Actually with Blood Angels getting a Stratagem that allows them to give a character the Black Rage, I wonder if we could see the same thing for MOTW?

That'd be cool but my only counter thought is that the black rage was a way more pervasive rule classically. I think you are right though, anything that would make us different than codex marines is going to be a possibility since it seems we'll get the previously codex only units.

The risk of providing cover via Storm Caller for a unit of fen wolves is too high as it's putting your RP way too close to the front lines, IMO. At 6ppm, I'd consider using them over cyberwolves, but only in the rare cases I expect to see some serious smite spam. A lone cyberwolf seems a better choice otherwise.

Obviously if you know your opponents in advance you can take more appropriate options. I don't play games knowing my opponents factions.

I either play tournament or pick up games in my club with random people and my list is built before I leave my house.

Fenrisian Wolves are the better all comers but I do like the Cyberwolf option too.

The Rune Priest wouldn't be only buffing the Wolves though and can still have more units ahead of him. He only needs to be within range if a fraction of a single Wolves base and the unit benefits.

I'm expecting my Wolves to die to Smite but if I had to change my plans having a cheap wall of Wolves with an increased save isn't awful.

If I didn't build a Wolf spam list with Canis and Harald then using a Rune Priest on bike to buff multiple large unit of Wolves would be very good too.

The new chapter approved equals big saving. On my 2k list I now have another 245 pts to play with.

I like the two new strategiums. As for the kracten Bone sword, maybe. I think it is free, might give it on one of my thunderwolves.

If your battleforged (duh) and your Warlord is a Space Wolf then 1 SW character can take a free relic.

(note I don't have the book yet but thats the normal rules for relics)

Edited by Deadnaughty

The new chapter approved equals big saving. On my 2k list I now have another 245 pts to play with.

I like the two new strategiums. As for the kracten Bone sword, maybe. I think it is free, might give it on one of my thunderwolves.

Wow, i wonder how you saved 245 points. In my current list analysis, on average I see savings of about 30-60 points. The 60 points saving was because I actually used two vindicators which dropped by a whipping 35 points, offset by the big increase in Stormfang cost. Across the board, the decrease in GH costs netted me about 30 points which I can now spread more power weapons whereas before I didn't invest in them.

Now my poor Wolf Lord/Battle leaders can finally afford a Thunderhammer. :P

Excuse the mood question, but what is a battle forged army?

Generally a battle forged army is one which follows the detachment rules, Example Patrol, Battalion, Vanguard, Outrider etc. In addition, I think another requirement is that all the units you can use are actually "part of the same side", for example sharing the key word Imperium. Then you are battleforged, which means you get addition 3 Command Points on top of what detachment you use gives. So no nonsense like mixing Xenos, Chaos and Imperium units according to detachment.

Wow, i wonder how you saved 245 points. In my current list analysis, on average I see savings of about 30-60 points. The 60 points saving was because I actually used two vindicators which dropped by a whipping 35 points, offset by the big increase in Stormfang cost. Across the board, the decrease in GH costs netted me about 30 points which I can now spread more power weapons whereas before I didn't invest in them.

Now my poor Wolf Lord/Battle leaders can finally afford a Thunderhammer. :tongue.:

had thunderwolf cav with storm shields and some thunder hammers, also 2 groups of wulfen with some storm shields and thunder hammers, plus lots of fenrisian wolves. Canis wolf born, and grey hunters. This amounted to lots of savings

Edited by munocat

Wolf Brothers,

I guess I must be doing something wrong, my 1.5k list just went up with almost 160 Pts...  So let's say I don't share the enthousiasm.
Razorbacks with assault cannons to transport GH's ... went up by alot. Yeah Wulfen went down, but at this rate I can't even get them into a stormwulf properly :(

In about 2 weeks I have a battle vs Imp Guard, at this time, I have utterly no clue what to field.
Might crawl back in my wolf / bear cave :P

Wolf Brothers,

I guess I must be doing something wrong, my 1.5k list just went up with almost 160 Pts...  So let's say I don't share the enthousiasm.

Razorbacks with assault cannons to transport GH's ... went up by alot. Yeah Wulfen went down, but at this rate I can't even get them into a stormwulf properly :sad.:

In about 2 weeks I have a battle vs Imp Guard, at this time, I have utterly no clue what to field.

Might crawl back in my wolf / bear cave :tongue.:

If your list went up then take pride in your ability to army build with the most efficient units available.

Then suck it up and adapt because GW is telling you those units were too efficient and have been balanced.

One, this is sage advice, at least until the next points balance revisit, whenever that is set to occur.

Two, and please take this as a compliment, you are indeed building with the currently overpowered for their points units, thus, their points went up to try and bring their competitive edge back in line with the rest of the range we have access to in the Index, and likely, eventually, our Codex.

Three, your list can never go wrong with Grey Hunters or Blood Claws, your choice across the board as to how they are kitted out, as well as pack size, et. al, etc.

Four, please, don't give up just yet! Consider making a thread for yourself and list what units/models you have currently, and what you can possibly get by that game. If you want an all-comers list, please, post it in that thread. If you instead want a targeted list, again, please specify your favored strategies and other things that might aid in figuring out what your force needs to bring it to where it is fun to play against, but still challenging to fight.

All food for thought.

I love your mental support, but I don't think my lists were that good as I haven't won a single match (friendly's ) since I restarted playing last August.
played vs Death guard, CSM, Ultra Marines and other Space Wolves so far.  Next match will be vs Astra Mili-something :P

I'll indeed make a new post under the Space Wolves Army List with what I have in mind.