What is Chapter Approved?

rgr_maddog

It just states model with a frost sword, atm unless FAQed we can take it on any frost sword I guess.

There is no need for a FAQ

Just Read the page 88 in Chapter Approved:

RELIC
If your army is led by a
<FACTION> Warlord, then
before the battle you may give
the appropriate relic from this
section to a <FACTION>
CHARACTER in your army.
Named characters such as Magnus
the Red, Ghazghkull Thraka and
Imotekh the Stormlord cannot be
given relics.

Part of me wonders why runic weapons are still 2 points more expensive than the force weapons that the vanilla marine librarians wield, am i missing an additional rule here? 

It's not just you. Our basic Rune Priest in power armour also increase in price to equal Space Marine Librarians, despite STILL only knowing one power from Tempestas whereas Space Marine Librarians know two. Thankfully the Rune Priest in Terminator Armour and Bike didn't increase, and Njal in Terminator armour also had a nice decrease. These days I prefer Rune Priest on Bike due to speed and T5. Njal is great but hampered a little by his Terminator armour and mediocre Tempestas powers.

Somebody forgot to tell the designers that Rune Priests are NOT merely renamed Librarians. Before Chapter approved, I could say Rune Priest were merely much cheaper libarians who knew only one extra power other than smite. Actually that's still applicable as rune priests are NOT forced to take psychic hoods. But with the decrease of psychic hoods from 20+ to 7, that means a basic libarian is only SLIGHTLY more expensive than a non-psychic hood rune priest.

Hang in there guys. Stick to the Bike, Terminator or Njal rune priest for cost effectiveness.

Part of me wonders why runic weapons are still 2 points more expensive than the force weapons that the vanilla marine librarians wield, am i missing an additional rule here? 

It's not just you. Our basic Rune Priest in power armour also increase in price to equal Space Marine Librarians, despite STILL only knowing one power from Tempestas whereas Space Marine Librarians know two. Thankfully the Rune Priest in Terminator Armour and Bike didn't increase, and Njal in Terminator armour also had a nice decrease. These days I prefer Rune Priest on Bike due to speed and T5. Njal is great but hampered a little by his Terminator armour and mediocre Tempestas powers.

Somebody forgot to tell the designers that Rune Priests are NOT merely renamed Librarians. Before Chapter approved, I could say Rune Priest were merely much cheaper libarians who knew only one extra power other than smite. Actually that's still applicable as rune priests are NOT forced to take psychic hoods. But with the decrease of psychic hoods from 20+ to 7, that means a basic libarian is only SLIGHTLY more expensive than a non-psychic hood rune priest.

Hang in there guys. Stick to the Bike, Terminator or Njal rune priest for cost effectiveness.

They only made points but no sheet changes with CA so hopefully we see some rune priest buffs (like new tempestas skills and taking 2 of them) in our Codex. 

Edited by Bozak

Rune Priest have a WS2+ compared to the Librarians 3+ so that's obviously the reason our weapons are more expensive.

Rune Priests also have access to an invuln thanks to Runic Armour.

I personally like the Tempestas, Storm Caller in particular is an excellent power.

Rune Priest have a WS2+ compared to the Librarians 3+ so that's obviously the reason our weapons are more expensive.

I personally like the Tempestas, Storm Caller in particular is an excellent power.

Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot that our Rune Priest hits on WS 2+. Still, I don't think it justifies a 20 point hike.

Stormcaller is an excellent power I agree, it's the other two which I feel is lacklustre. Tempest Storm relies on you casting successfully on an enemy and only one enemy unit is affected, whereas other powers affect the friendly unit and EVERY enemy unit is affected. Jaws of the World Wolf, well, actually that one just depends on your luck in first rolling WC7, and then rolling high enough to outnumber the movement characteristics. For a Cataphracti terminator, that's potentially 8 mortal wounds maximum. otherwise average would be about 2 mortal wounds for a WC7 spell.

Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot that our Rune Priest hits on WS 2+. Still, I don't think it justifies a 20 point hike.

Stormcaller is an excellent power I agree, it's the other two which I feel is lacklustre. Tempest Storm relies on you casting successfully on an enemy and only one enemy unit is affected, whereas other powers affect the friendly unit and EVERY enemy unit is affected. Jaws of the World Wolf, well, actually that one just depends on your luck in first rolling WC7, and then rolling high enough to outnumber the movement characteristics. For a Cataphracti terminator, that's potentially 8 mortal wounds maximum. otherwise average would be about 2 mortal wounds for a WC7 spell.

I think a targeted -1 to hit on an enemy unit is better than -1 to hit on a friendly unit. It's about picking the right target though.

Your opponent can choose not to shoot at one of your units to avoid the penalty but they'll always be shooting with their own units.

Targeting a Lord of War or other very powerful shooting unit will always hurt your opponent.

Tempest's Wrath is quite nice if your opponent has large and expensive units as a -1 to Hit is more valuable when applied to a lot of attacks. Jaws is situational. Against a lot of armies, Smite is better simply because it is cheaper but slow armies/units like Necrons, Mega Nobz can really suffer to Jaws. Also Smite is capped at 3 damage (unless you roll 10+ when casting) whereas Jaws can potentially generate many mortal wounds if you get lucky. Horses for courses I guess.

Ah yes! I missed the ws2+, makes a little more sense now. But that does mean that they are the only character to have more expensive melee weapons because they have ws 2+, no one else has that.

Ah yes! I missed the ws2+, makes a little more sense now. But that does mean that they are the only character to have more expensive melee weapons because they have ws 2+, no one else has that.

It doesn't matter which way round they did it and I imagine it's less confusing to have all the base Librarian type models cost the same but adjust any unique wargear.

Hitting on a 2+ is a good buff as a Rune Priest is a pretty decent Melee character when he needs to be.

I like Rune Priests, they are a good defensive Psyker and can muck in when needed.

I think perhaps Runic weapons will get their old ward ability back when our codex drops. GW seems keen on keeping as many unique abilities as possible out of index armies, to help with codex sales.

Honestly even with the CA stuff, I still feel kinda bland when I play my wolves...I really want chapter tactics...but I hope it isn't just +1 attack when charged again...I hate tactics that depend on your opponent...

I think perhaps Runic weapons will get their old ward ability back when our codex drops. GW seems keen on keeping as many unique abilities as possible out of index armies, to help with codex sales.

Honestly even with the CA stuff, I still feel kinda bland when I play my wolves...I really want chapter tactics...but I hope it isn't just +1 attack when charged again...I hate tactics that depend on your opponent...

Judging by the recent codexes, particularly Astra Militarrum Regiment doctrines, and Dark Angel Grim Resolve, the recent "chapter tactics" seem to have a couple of combinations.

E.g.

1) Dark Angel Grim Resolve is reroll 1 to hit when not moving  PLUS can never lose more than one model in morale phase

2) Catachan doctrine - +1 to Strength reroll random dice shots reroll random dice shots

So here's to hoping that since we're a mono-codex chapter, we'll get something like +1 attack on the charge and something else that gives us some mobility flexibility.

Tempest's Wrath is quite nice if your opponent has large and expensive units as a -1 to Hit is more valuable when applied to a lot of attacks. Jaws is situational. Against a lot of armies, Smite is better simply because it is cheaper but slow armies/units like Necrons, Mega Nobz can really suffer to Jaws. Also Smite is capped at 3 damage (unless you roll 10+ when casting) whereas Jaws can potentially generate many mortal wounds if you get lucky. Horses for courses I guess.

Ah, thanks. Never thought of it that way, the next time I face LOWs like baneblades, I might actually try that power. But again, there's a problem in that our priests only know one power, and Stormcaller has proven to be indispensable. Will have to spend another HQ on Rune Priest, which will either decrease my troops or replace the also indispensable Wolf Lord.

Ah, thanks. Never thought of it that way, the next time I face LOWs like baneblades, I might actually try that power. Problem is our rune priests only know one spell, and I think Storm caller has the higher priority. If I want both, have to spend on another RP which will decrease my troops.

Maybe with the drop in intercessors and aggressors, may actually try them on foot and see how they survive without a Rhino.

Edited by Kasper_Hawser

With the new point adjustments I really don't see much point in not bringing Njal instead of normal runepriest (unless you really want the extra speed from a bike/JP).

I feel the same. Njal in power armour is very flexible and for a few points, brings so many bonuses over a regular Rune Priest. Terminator Njal is a nicer model but I like the flexibility of him being able to jump in a transport if the situation warrants it.

Judging by the recent codexes, particularly Astra Militarrum Regiment doctrines, and Dark Angel Grim Resolve, the recent "chapter tactics" seem to have a couple of combinations.

E.g.

1) Dark Angel Grim Resolve is reroll 1 to hit when not moving  PLUS can never lose more than one model in morale phase

2) Catachan doctrine - +1 to Strength reroll random dice shots reroll random dice shots

So here's to hoping that since we're a mono-codex chapter, we'll get something like +1 attack on the charge and something else that gives us some mobility flexibility.

Blood Angels got rather left out in the cold with just +1 to wound with Red Thirst. Granted it is a good ability but I think GW believes melee is as powerful as shooting in 40K which is certainly not the case in 8th edition.

Judging Maybe with the drop in intercessors and aggressors, may actually try them on foot and see how they survive without a Rhino.

Not that Primaris Marines can fit in a Rhino but I know what you mean. :wink:

Intercessors are fine as Objective Campers. Put them in cover and the effort it takes to remove 10 wounds behind a 2+ save is surprising. The only reason I am not more keen on Intercessors is just that Grey Hunters are one of the best Troop units in the game IMHO. I never leave the Fang without 3 packs of them and they have never let me down.

Aggressors are nice but I feel they really need a transport to be effective. Also they work so much better with the UM Chapter Trait than anything else I have difficulty seeing them in other colour except blue. :tongue.:

My favourite Primaris unit has to be my Hellblasters. As long as you have a WL or Bjorn nearby, these guys are golden. They can advance with the Hunters and take the pressure off the Long Fangs allowing them to focus on tank hunting while the Hellblasters nuke heavy infantry and lighter vehicles.

Njal in TDA is worth the points. You deep strike him exactly where you need him.

If you need to be aggressive and attack he is there. If you simply want him midfield he can drop behind any of your fast units without falling behind (wulfen or axe dreads advancing etc).

E.g.

Blood Angels got rather left out in the cold with just +1 to wound with Red Thirst. Granted it is a good ability but I think GW believes melee is as powerful as shooting in 40K which is certainly not the case in 8th edition.

Judging Maybe with the drop in intercessors and aggressors, may actually try them on foot and see how they survive without a Rhino.

Not that Primaris Marines can fit in a Rhino but I know what you mean. :wink:

Well Blood Angels to me got a unique rule to differentiate, which is quite fluffy and crunchy. I mean, so far the rules for chapter tactics tended to be repeated throughout CSM legion tactics, Tyranid hive strains, Miliatarum doctrines etc. So BA getting a unique rule gives me hope that Space Wolves also get something unique and crunchy.

As for Intercessors, sorry, maybe I should have just said "without a transport" instead of "without a Rhino". :)