Which Imperium allies?

micahwc

I'm wondering what people are finding work best for allies to guard in separate detachments? I'm finding the only thing I really lack in my armies are close combat, so I was thinking of getting a detachment of something punchy, death company, assault terminators, etc. Any thoughts?

What weaknesses in guard lists can we fill with imperium allies?

Most of the time (hilariously) catachan guardsmen with priests can do really well in close combat, better than the same amount of points as other dedicated close combat troops (being dirt cheap). 40 points for 12 str 4 attacks is nothing to sniff at. Think death company, 17 points each, that is 4 guardmen, same attacks (on the charge for DC), but 4 wounds and 4 lasguns. Also many close combat units require transports, guardsmen just need orders to zoom them across the battlefield.

your probably looking at 200-400 points for a dedicated close combat unit and transport. For 200 points you get 50 guardsmen, 58 attacks and 50 lasgun rounds, every turn. add in 35 for a priest and maybe 90 for officers + 12 for power mauls on the officers. you have a brutal and fast attacking force that will be tricky to remove and is dirt cheap!

You really need none.

Between the fact that you need a separate detachment to avoid losing the regiment rule, and the fact that the AM list itself is so flexible, you have everything you need already. AM alone can handle anything pretty well.

This means: ally whatever you like most, it's simply a fluff choice.

You really need none.

Between the fact that you need a separate detachment to avoid losing the regiment rule, and the fact that the AM list itself is so flexible, you have everything you need already. AM alone can handle anything pretty well.

This means: ally whatever you like most, it's simply a fluff choice.

This fella speaks truths. With the pleathora of options in the Codex and from FW really the guard doesn’t -need- anything.

I’m making a Sister’s Detachment because I’ve always liked the idea of them showing up and working alongside the Guard, not because I need them in any sense of the word.

Most of the time (hilariously) catachan guardsmen with priests can do really well in close combat, better than the same amount of points as other dedicated close combat troops (being dirt cheap). 40 points for 12 str 4 attacks is nothing to sniff at. Think death company, 17 points each, that is 4 guardmen, same attacks (on the charge for DC), but 4 wounds and 4 lasguns. Also many close combat units require transports, guardsmen just need orders to zoom them across the battlefield.

your probably looking at 200-400 points for a dedicated close combat unit and transport. For 200 points you get 50 guardsmen, 58 attacks and 50 lasgun rounds, every turn. add in 35 for a priest and maybe 90 for officers + 12 for power mauls on the officers. you have a brutal and fast attacking force that will be tricky to remove and is dirt cheap!

You wouldn't forget ol straken would you? 3 attack guardsmen with S4 much?

I’m making a Sister’s Detachment because I’ve always liked the idea of them showing up and working alongside the Guard, not because I need them in any sense of the word.

Doing the same thing! A full size retributor squad with 4 heavy bolters and a storm bolter, that shoots twice on a 2+ thanks to Acts of Faith, and accompanied by a Canoness (rerolls of 1 to hit), and you have an ally that decimates infantry and heavy infantry alike. 

Doing the same thing! A full size retributor squad with 4 heavy bolters and a storm bolter, that shoots twice on a 2+ thanks to Acts of Faith, and accompanied by a Canoness (rerolls of 1 to hit), and you have an ally that decimates infantry and heavy infantry alike.

Nice! I’m basing mine around SoS as a “psyker hunting” Detachment. The main guard force will have no psykers and the Sisters will root out any psykers on the battlefield!

Most effective? Nah. Will it be fun? Hell yeah!

My sister detachment is a pair of 5-girl squads with heavy flamer, flamer, combo-flamer in a Repressor. Can drive around shooting the 6 bolters out the ports, and when things get personal, rock out with the 6 templates.

I also like Dominions with meltas in an Immolator. Between the Scout move and act of faith, they can basically be in the enemy’s deployment zone turn 1.