Using space wolf models for other chapters

YeOldeCheddar

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question but here it goes anyway.

I've recently gotten back into warhammer after six or so years not playing and been looking at fielding a Red Wolves army which I THINK is in decent standing with the fluff.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Wolves

I kinda want to base them off of space wolves (using some of the wolfy helmets, furs etc) even to the extent of having a pack of fenrisian wolves but I don't know if I can use them without using the SW as I do t really like the lack of heavy weapons in tad squads (or grey hunters as the case may be) so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

In the end, Space Wolves are mainly grey marines with more special weapons and close combat weapons. So yes, as long as WSYIWIG it doesn't violate the Codex SM rules for tacticals, devastators, veterans and sergeants, feel free to use Space Wolves models as a Codex Compliant chapter. 

I feel like I already answered this in another thread.

Cheers for the responses guys!

But just to confirm i can use SW models in a codex complaint chapter as long as i stick to the standard SM format Tacticals, Devastators and the like and i shouldn't have any issues? Brilliant! but are am i able to use the SW unique models such as the Fenrisian Wolves or TWC? or is that a no go?

You can't have it both ways - your Marines are either Codex, or Space Wolves.  If you want to pick and choose from the lists, the best you can do is an Astartes list with the wolves in a separate detachment.  Keep in mind that may affect how your Chapter Tactics and other abilities work.

You can't have it both ways - your Marines are either Codex, or Space Wolves.  If you want to pick and choose from the lists, the best you can do is an Astartes list with the wolves in a separate detachment.  Keep in mind that may affect how your Chapter Tactics and other abilities work.

Yea I figured as much, Cheers for the confirmation!

Paint yer space wolves red. arm them as per codex and run them as per codex marines..... no harm no foul as far as \I am concerned.

As long as you tell me they are codex marines and are wysiwyg  I'd be happy

Wow seriously didn't realize these were a chapter...thank the Tyranid codex for this really cool defiantly lost Space Wolf chapter influenced. Red marines are awesome. You should start a log for them would love to read about your progress!!!

Krash

Wow seriously didn't realize these were a chapter...thank the Tyranid codex for this really cool defiantly lost Space Wolf chapter influenced. Red marines are awesome. You should start a log for them would love to read about your progress!!!

Krash

Exactly what thought when i happened across them, and yea i think i will make a build log when i buy my models

And on that subject, anyone got any advice on a 500 pt list to start out with? (i'm kinda feeling something with scouts + landspeeder storm and do some mixing with the SW and SM scout kits to make them look a bit more wolfy)

Edited by YeOldeCheddar