Primaris Ragnar Blackmane (Completed)

Graymane

Hello folks,

So, last night i got to thinking what Ragnar might look like if he underwent the changes to become a Primaris marine. This led to a swift dive into the bits box and I threw this together...

med_gallery_87416_13341_896022.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13341_904717.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13341_1059709.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13341_85825.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13341_1094691.jpg

Its partially stuck together with bluetac at the moment and needs some greenstuff work, but generally I'm happy with it.

My only question would be in regard to shoulder pads. I have always been dubious of his wolf head left shoulder pad. I started to build one using a thunder hammer head (Seen on the model and on the left below needing much green stuff). However, knowing that Primaris armour is new and therefore less embellished with decorations, I was thinking of using the simpler painted head shoulder on the right...

med_gallery_87416_13341_264470.jpg

Your thoughts, opinions, etc are most welcome as per usual. :smile.:

Hope you like him.

Cheers,

GM

Edited by Graymane

Hello,

So, brief update!

I have now greenstuffed the fur and shoulder pad and attached some chain to fasten the cloak.

med_gallery_87416_13341_1661508.jpg

On the subject of shoulder pads, as Caldersson said, the wolf head shoulder pad is a fairly iconic part of the original model and as enormous a pain as it is to model and fit, i think it has come out ok in this instance.

med_gallery_87416_13341_287733.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13341_471914.jpg

Any comments/feedback welcome as per usual. :smile.:

Cheers,

GM

That shoulder pads looks great. I don't think anyone could do much better without a large amount of professional level of support and tools.

I went back to the Ragnar novel and found a description of him. There is one thing I missed he should have a large gash on his left eye, dealt by a DA.

You know what, I’m gonna be honest with you. Because you deserve honest criticism. Your model is excellent. I admire your joy and passion in building something out of nothing, all through pure imagination. Respect.

But the only thing (in my own personal opinion) that bothers me is his head. It doesn’t look right to me. I think it’s the way the top knot is going opposite of his bangs or something or those long bangs hanging on the side of his face don’t look right?! I dunno it just doesn’t fit/flow well overall with me. If anything it distracts the entire model. I’m picky like that...

Fair point there Mav.

I had actually been thinking about swapping for a snarling head and greenstuffing the hair. I simply used that one at the time as it was on the upgrade sprue and worked as a quick build head. However it does look a bit like Bruce Campbell in a dodgy wig at the mo.

And yes, the braid does throw off the flow of the model. I had hoped it would look like it was whipping around as he moved, but it's not quite right. I'll have a look and see what I can come up with. :)

Cheers,

GM

Maybe some work on the bolt pistol, Ragnar is meant to have a Master Crafted Bold Pistol?  A small wolf skull and at least a wolf tail, otherwise it's looking really good.

if you'd not done such an amazing job on the shoulder pad I would have suggested looking at these:

https://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=488

I've got some of the normal and Terminator versions and they are mental looking.

Maybe some work on the bolt pistol, Ragnar is meant to have a Master Crafted Bold Pistol?  A small wolf skull and at least a wolf tail, otherwise it's looking really good.

if you'd not done such an amazing job on the shoulder pad I would have suggested looking at these:

https://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=488

I've got some of the normal and Terminator versions and they are mental looking.

Bought their Valhalla shoulderpads and they were smaller then GW pads, they fitted but looked tiny and really out of place.

Edited by Deadnaughty

• 1 month later...

Greetings Brothers,

Well, I have at last finished him!

Presenting for your review, Primaris Ragnar Blackmane....

gallery_87416_12060_1104504.jpg

gallery_87416_12060_788808.jpg

gallery_87416_12060_125262.jpg

gallery_87416_12060_1017916.jpg

gallery_87416_12060_416285.jpg

gallery_87416_12060_940146.jpg

gallery_87416_12060_138430.jpg

gallery_87416_12060_13212.jpg

med_gallery_87416_12060_244923.jpg

med_gallery_87416_12060_395873.jpg

med_gallery_87416_12060_63309.jpg

med_gallery_87416_12060_1104504.jpg

I hope you like him!

I swapped the head for a Primaris one, with added topknot in the end, which i think has turned out ok.

Apologies once again for the dodgy photo quality.

Any feedback most welcome as per usual.

Cheers,

GM

I swapped the head for a Primaris one, with added topknot in the end, which i think has turned out ok.

Great and awesome work, although to me, I prefer the previous head. The primaris head looks.... odd. The thing that strikes me is how big the eyes are. Maybe just make them a little smaller, like squinting, or eyes narrowed in rage, then you'll have it.

Nice work indeed. I can't place where the right shoulder pad comes from though?

He custom made it. Made from the SW upgrade packs backpack which has a wolf for exhaust and greenstuff IIRC.

It looks great! Much better than the current Ragnar model.

Edited by Caldersson

No it's the right shoulder pad I'm asking about (the one holding the chainsword), I know he made the left one from custom parts

Whoops thought you meant our right (models left) for some dumb reason. It is the from Krom, the cloak and shoulder are the exact same.

You know what, I’m gonna be honest with you. Because you deserve honest criticism. Your model is excellent. I admire your joy and passion in building something out of nothing, all through pure imagination. Respect.

But the only thing (in my own personal opinion) that bothers me is his head. It doesn’t look right to me. I think it’s the way the top knot is going opposite of his bangs or something or those long bangs hanging on the side of his face don’t look right?! I dunno it just doesn’t fit/flow well overall with me. If anything it distracts the entire model. I’m picky like that...

This is my only sole sticking point as well. I immediately get a very Flock of Seagulls vibe from it.