Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

rivets for tanks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

micahwc

micahwc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,191 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

I need some rivets for a tank I (mostly) 3d printed, I've tried searching online and haven't found much of anything on a how to. The way that comes to mind is to cut a thin dowel into the required thickness, and hand glue every one of them. Frankly this sounds really tedious. Is there a better way? Thanks.

The Codex Astartes no doubt has guidance that covers that kind of situation - long, detailed advice that would essentially boil down to "shoot the choppy ones, chop the shooty ones".

Ciler

Ciler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,795 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
Depending on whether you want perfectly shaped rivets or not, you can just deposit dollops of liquid green stuff on your tank one side at a time, keeping that side horizontal so that they don't run down.

I used that technique for the rivets on the shoulder pads here :
gallery_83433_11463_59554.jpg
  • ElDuderino likes this
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. Revelations 6:8
Album link, Thread on the BT subforum

Knight of Lupus

Knight of Lupus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,079 posts
  • Faction: Custodes, Dark Angels

Go to a model train store and look for Grandt Line products (or get them online).  Yes, gluing them on one by one is tedious, but if you're doing rivets you're going to need to do that either way.

I used to model historical armor, and the rivets I used looked like styrene straight pins.  You drill the hole, put a little bit of cement in it, push the rivet in and pull it snug with tweezers from the back.  When it's dry, you clip off the back.  It's a little time consuming, but it looks fantastic when it is done, and very authentic.

"Heed not the whispers in the gloom, or the rantings of madmen, for they will attempt to beguile you.
Cleave to your training, for heretics speak naught but lies and damnations.  Let thy weapons speak in answer."

Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,608 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion, Dark Mechanicus

The best solution I've found for adding rivets to a project come from Tichy Train Group. Naturally, going by the name they're intended for model railroad builders, but they're excellent for any modeling project. If you're working with styrene, simply drill a tiny hole, clip off the rivet, drop the post in the hole, and use a tiny bit of solvent glue (Such as Tamiya Extra Thin) to lock the rivet in place.

Tichy_Rivets_01-B.png

Coming in a wide range of sizes, you can find rivets appropriate for basically any project. Compared to virtually any other method to add rivets by hand (trust me, I've done thousands of rivets by hand, before finding/using these) Tichy rivets are just superior; still time consuming and mind numbing to do (see below) but the results are totally worth it.

Shield_Generator_06.jpg

Here's an image of me adding the rivets to a studio model that is used as a prototype for casting. There are a few hundred rivets in this project alone, and each one turned out perfectly thanks to Tichy's product.

• Knight of Lupus, Azekai and micahwc like this

Nostrum nomen est Legio, pro nos es plures. ~ ~ Our name is Legion, for we are many.
mA8H0hu.pngjrkeVZI.png

Knight of Lupus

Knight of Lupus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,079 posts
  • Faction: Custodes, Dark Angels

Perfect.  That's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of!

"Heed not the whispers in the gloom, or the rantings of madmen, for they will attempt to beguile you.
Cleave to your training, for heretics speak naught but lies and damnations.  Let thy weapons speak in answer."

Bluedoo

Bluedoo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 46 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Horus
I use the Tichy stuff too, but it never occurred to me to drill and mount them! Great idea

Nostromo

Nostromo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 356 posts
I use a circular hole punch with a diameter of 0.7mm to make rivets from paper or cardboard.
The punch came from china via eBay and cost 3.5€ - most likely the cheapest way to make rivets.

Edited by Nostromo, 12 June 2018 - 08:50 PM.

D3L

D3L

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 515 posts
  • Faction: XIV Legion

go to the dollar store, the pound shop, or the 100 yen daiso store, look for real cheap Nail Art stuff, look for  the small circular silver studs... done

• Kierdale likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users