4k Ultramarines Test List

The Ironic Warrior

Hey everyone

I'm going into a 4000pt game tomorrow (Big games are great!) and I have absolutely no idea who or what I am up against, aside from that it's not a Leviathan or Questoris list. I'm guessing Astartes, Mechanicum or Auxilia so I have brought a list that should be able to handle anything it goes up against (In theory).

Lemme know what you all think - this is using Chosen Duty:

HEADQUARTERS
- Remus Ventanus

ELITES

- Suzerain Squad (5 man), Phobos (Extra Armour, Dozer Blade, Ceramite)

- Suzerain Squad (5 man), Phobos (Extra Armour, Dozer Blade, Ceramite)

TROOPS
- Veteran Tactical Squad (10 man), Rhino (Dozer Blade), 2x Flamers, Marksman, (Axe + AA for Sergeant)
- Veteran Tactical Squad (10 man), Rhino (Dozer Blade), 2x Flamers, Marksman, (Axe + AA for Sergeant)
- Veteran Tactical Squad (10 man), Rhino (Dozer Blade), 2x Meltaguns, Marksman, (Axe + AA for Sergeant)
- Veteran Tactical Squad (10 man), Rhino (Dozer Blade), 2x Meltaguns, Marksman, (Axe + AA for Sergeant)

FAST ATTACK
- Anvillus Dreadclaw Drop Pod
- Locutarus Storm Squad (10 man), (Axe, Shield, Melta Bombs for Sergeant)
- Locutarus Storm Squad (10 man), (Axe, Shield, Melta Bombs for Sergeant)

HEAVY SUPPORT
- Fire Raptor (Reaper Autocannons)
- Leviathan Siege Dreadnought (Grav-Flux, Phosphex, Claw, Drop Pod)
- Heavy Support Squad (10 man), Heavy Flamers

LORD OF WAR
- Roboute Guilliman

General plan is Vets and Locutarii + Heavy Support Squad in reserves. The Dreadnought arrives turn 1 and causes mischief in its pod, while the Suzerains advance up the board with Guilliman in one Suzy squad, Remus in the other (making both fearless and comfy). Turn 2, everything arrives and the Heavy Flamers roast the lines in readiness for a potential charge from the Suzerains, or at least gives them breathing room, with the Locutarii arriving to start causing problems elsewhere and the Vets outflanking to hit exposed positions. Fire Raptor flies in from reserves and picks off anything that looks tasty, and hope they don't have much AA. 

That's the rough plan, what do you all think? 
Feedback and changes welcome :rolleyes:

Edited by Yaaar's Revenge

Looks good but a few points:

-You can't use Chosen Duty with Rowboat, its a Delegatus-only rite

-Why 2 small squads of Suzerain instead of a bigger squad? Saves you points on the second Raider, you could get some anti tank with those points

-I suggest switching for heavy flamers on Veterans

-Heavy flamer support squad feels a bit useless, maybe get some anti armour firepower for the last HS slot

Otherwise looks good, love to see Locutarii getting some use.

Looks good but a few points:

-You can't use Chosen Duty with Rowboat, its a Delegatus-only rite

-Why 2 small squads of Suzerain instead of a bigger squad? Saves you points on the second Raider, you could get some anti tank with those points

-I suggest switching for heavy flamers on Veterans

-Heavy flamer support squad feels a bit useless, maybe get some anti armour firepower for the last HS slot

Otherwise looks good, love to see Locutarii getting some use.

Whoops, should have been Pride of the Legion, silly me!

I have made some changes though taking your suggestions into account - in response to the Heavy Flamer squad, it gives me a lot of anti-infantry capability for dealing with hordes. I tested it out last night against Gal Vorbak (not the ideal target) and it killed 60% of the squad; definitely worth it! It also means if they have SA or Mechanicum I can cleave through some of their units which have either good cover saves or tonnes of wounds making them annoying as all hell. Plus their cheapness means that the enemy has to dedicate a lot of fire to them which would otherwise be going to my army.

----------------------------

HEADQUARTERS

-Remus Ventanus

-Damocles Command Rhino

-Forge Lord (Servo Arm, Legatine Axe, Rad Grenades)

ELITES

-5 man Destroyer Squad w/Rhino (1 Rad Missile Launcher, AA and Phosphex Bomb on Sergeant)

-5 man Destroyer Squad w/Rhino (1 Rad Missile Launcher, AA and Phosphex Bomb on Sergeant)

-3 man Quad Mortar squad (Shatter Shells)

TROOPS

-7 man Suzerain Squad w/Phobos (Extra Armour, Dozer Blade, Ceramite)

-10 man Vet Squad (2x Heavy Flamers, Marksman, AA & Power Axe on Sergeant)

FAST ATTACK

-Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw

-10 man Locutarus Storm Squad (2x Plasma Pistols, Power Axe, Shield & Melta Bombs on Sergeant)

HEAVY SUPPORT

-Fire Raptor (Reaper Autocannons)

-Leviathan Siege Dreadnought w/Dread Drop Pod (Phosphex, Drill, Grav-Flux)

-10 man Heavy Support Squad (Heavy Flamers)

Idea is going for a "Purge-heavy" themed list hence the Destroyers and what-not, but I think it'll work well against most things. There's not a lot of anti-armour in it, but I can deal with most armour with what I have (Supers will cause an issue but that's what the Leviathan is there for I suppose!)

Well Destroyers suck, lets be honest. If you are determined to play them, i'd suggest getting one big squad instead of small ones, they are already crazy expensive for what they bring and the 10 ppm "squad tax" at 5 man makes it even worse. With those points you should get Rhinos for Veterans, they really need them,

I don't like the hf Support squad but if they are doing it for you then fair enough.

I'd take the cyclonic melta lance or a second CCW on the Leviathan since it is your only way of busting heavy armour.

Ah damn the Vets are in rhinos, forgot to write them down (Whoops) Yeah I am aware Destroyers are not optimal, but I feel for the type of list I wanna go for I should include them at least so that they are there. I have swapped one squad out and replaced the Rhino for the remaining one with a LR Proteus, so it can at least scout, mess with reserves and deliver them correctly if I need to. Updated list:

----------------------------

HEADQUARTERS

-Remus Ventanus

-Damocles Command Rhino

-Siegebreaker (Artificer Armour, Legatine Axe, Refractor Field, Phosphex Bomb, Jump Pack)

ELITES

-5 man Destroyer Squad w/Land Raider Proteus (Dozer Blade, Ceramite, EAAW) (1 Rad Missile Launcher, AA and Phosphex Bomb on Sergeant)

-2 man Quad Mortar squad (Shatter Shells, Phosphex)

TROOPS

-10 man Vet Squad w/Rhino (2x Heavy Flamers, Marksman, AA & Power Axe on Sergeant)

-10 man Vet Squad w/Rhino (2x Heavy Flamers, Marksman, AA & Power Axe on Sergeant)

-10 man Vet Squad w/Rhino (2x Melta Guns, Marksman, AA & Power Axe on Sergeant)

-10 man Vet Squad w/Rhino (2x Melta Guns, Marksman, AA & Power Axe on Sergeant)

FAST ATTACK

-Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw

-10 man Locutarus Storm Squad (2x Plasma Pistols, Power Axe, Shield & Melta Bombs on Sergeant)
-Primaris Lightning Strike Fighter (Phosphex Bomb Cluster, 2x Kraken Penetrator Missiles)

HEAVY SUPPORT

-Fire Raptor (Reaper Autocannons)

-Leviathan Siege Dreadnought w/Dread Drop Pod (Phosphex, Drill, Cyclonic Melta-Lance)

-10 man Heavy Support Squad (Heavy Flamers)

Siegebreaker goes with the Locutarii as a pinpoint Phosphex bomb delivery mechanism, plus he gives their Plasma Pistols actual Tank Hunter so they can be more aggressive when going after vehicles when they Deep Strike. Thanks for the feedback so far though! 

Well Destroyers are undoubtedly cool.

Why no Suzerains this time? They are amazing models and good on the tabletop as well. I feel like you could drop one squad of 

Vets and maybe a battery of Quad Launchers (yes, they are good especially with Interlocking Tactics but I feel 2x2 batteries is enough) and something (maybe the Damocles? Don't you already have enough reserve manipulation for 2 fliers with augury web and Ventarus?) and get a squad of them. 

The list ended up taking a more Nemesis Chapter vibe, so I went full-bore with it and dropped the Suzerains in favour of "trying" to stick to the methodology of the Chapter: Unethical chemical weaponry.

The reserves manipulation I have are:

- Remus (Re-roll my own, -1 to the enemy)
- Damocles (+1 but I am taking it for the pinpoint Deep Strike for my army to maximise safety with things)

- Land Raider Proteus (-1 to the enemy as Remus let's me re-roll)

They are mainly to hamper the enemy and try and give me full reserves control while crippling theirs somewhat. That's the plan at least, plus Remus gives me MoTL which means it's either him or a Delegatus or Praetor but with no real retinue at this stage bar the Locutarii...