Raven Guard or Space Wolves

Archaeinox

I'm thinking of starting a 2nd army to compliment my 5000pts of Thousand Sons led by Magnus and Ahriman. I would want whichever I choose to be able to go toe-to-toe with the Thousand Sons in a 2000pt game or so. 

Space Wolves would be a great choice considering that I have Thousand Sons based with snow and an entire ice table. If I did that, I would do the Logan on sled thing with Bjorn and other goodies. 

However, Raven Guard has a certain appeal. I like the combination of Alpha Legion and Night Lords style play. If I did that, I wouldn't use any Primaris stuff. I would run lots of scouts, a tactical squad or two, devastators, and of course tons of Vanguard Vets and Assault Marines. I would use the Deathwatch RG fella as Shrike. I also have lots of Forge World raven guard torsos, characters and bits lying around. The only thing that is goofy to me is that black armor on my snow table isn't very "negative modifier to hit past 12 inches" lolololol. 

I feel like the two armies would give me a very different play style from Thousand Sons. What do you think? I know that I am the only one who can make this decision, but nevertheless I am interested to see what folks say regarding the two options I have laid out for myself.

Thanks dudes

I would roll with the wolves. Their army make me fluff out as I've always had a thing for lycanthrope. The Masquerade, Belmont Family, and D&D are to blame. Be great as a complete collection and would allow for some incredible dioramas.

It's blood for the wolf lord and not-magic that's not psychic, allegedly.

Sounds heretical to me!

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it.

and yes, I have the Space Wolves character. I'm thinking he will be a Wolf Guard leader. If I do the Wolves as a new army it will have lots of conversions and not necessarily "the best" units. So, power armored wolf guard etc.

Come.

Join us!

Bu "us", I mean Raven Guard.

And it works better if you chop up the Deathwatch guy and just use his parts for Shrike. I just used his claws and jump pack along with som FW bits and it turned out pretty good.

Since you typed more words about the Raven Guard, then you have a lot more to say about them. Thus, you want to spend more time with them, soooo you have subconsciously already made the choice.

Welcome to the Raven Guard ^_^

the obvious fluff tells you to go Space Wolves, and yet you find yourself being drawn by the honeyed words of Race Bannon. Is he the good angel on your shoulder or the bad?

...looking forward to seeing you on the Raven Guard forum.

Normally I would have proposed Space Wolves (as, despite their current Index status, it's rare they get a bad codex) because they're an obvious OpFor choice to your TS).

However, since you already have a lot of stuff for RG and seem more interested in them, I would suggest RG.

• 2 weeks later...

Since both forces are meant to have icy bases to match your Thousand Sons, I suggest think about which contrast with white out of black and whatever blue the Space Wolves' count as (or grey if you like their pre-Heresy colors) will please you more as you look at your assembled models. If your willing suspension of disbelief can't handle the Raven Guard's hiding in plain sight, you'll have your answer, albeit 'by default.'

As for play styles, as far as I know, you can have one Wolf Lord decide or naturally grow into a style of warfare similar to the Raven Guard's. Since Games Workshop's concept of subfaction themes often is 'spam one unit,' I'm expecting one of the current* Wolf Lords to have a thing for scouts, sneaking about and the like.

Space Wolves also mean you already have a relationship with Thousand Sons. Raven Guard mean you can build one out of scratch.

*before Warzone: Fenris and Gathering Storm, at least.