Sly Marbo returns!

Seahawk

I need to get my hands on Marbo... And sargeant Harker. Hell might as well make an IG army while I'm at it. Now where can I get some catachan bits...

It's sad, but I am thinking about picking up Harker as well, to use as a pseudo-Master of Ordnance when I bring side detachments of Catachan artillery and Chimeras.

Regarding Marbo being resin, he doesn't seem to have too many parts that would snag or be subject to breaking, especially if you pose him as pictured.  FW resin is relatively soft as far as resin goes, so it doesn't snap at the slightest of provocation unless it's really thin and really out there.  I've only seen folks having that issue that buy cheap recasts, which snap the moment you look at them or a dice rolls within 6" of them.

Edited by Withershadow

Ehhh never really understood the hate for resin I've never had any problems even when I'm converting with resin oh well each to their own I suppose. If they redid old Sly hopefully they will do Macharius eventually as well now he would be awesome with a revamp for 8th

Every time I've tried to work with finecast it was a nonstop nightmare of stupid. Giant air bubbles everywhere. Whole sections needing to be resculpted with green stuff. Models that I spent weeks getting ready for paint which then sagged and drooped on a hot day.

I have no desire to go through that again. I know some people say the resin is better now, but I don't consider it worth the risk that they're wrong.

I'd rather spend more for the original metal model on ebay.

The last handful of resin releases (namely Centos and Canoness Veridyan) have been very good, imo on a par with Forgeworld's resin and a far cry from the original Finecast stuff. But I accept that Finecast left a sour taste for a lot of people and it's not easy to get over that. That said, my own experiences with Finecast have been largely fine; I just avoid buying anything that's supposed to have long, straight parts.

Another thing to consider here is that it might actually just be a mock-up, rather than the production model itself. GW often do quick resin (and in some cases 3D-printed) casts so the studio painters can get them done for photography while plastic production ramps up in time for release. I'm not saying that is the case here (the fact that release is only a couple of weeks away suggests this is actually the final model), but you never know.

The newest resin has been excellent, as I said. If you let this get in the way it questions if you really wanted the model in the first place. After all this is just one small infantry model and not some large, potentially problematic kit.

If I'm going to spend 30 or more hours painting it, I'd like for it to not be cast out of garbage.

Having been burned repeatedly by finecast, I'm not going to stick my hand in that metaphorical oven again just because you tell me it's not hot anymore. I have no reason to believe you, and you're not the one who has to deal with it if you're wrong.

This is also why I stopped watching Star Trek movies.

They were the two most recent Resin releases that weren't done by Forgeworld but directly by GW.

They were perfect, no need for washing or any extensive work. Just cut out, glue and paint.

If this model is anything like them then we'll have nothing to be concerned about.

They were the two most recent Resin releases that weren't done by Forgeworld but directly by GW.

They were perfect, no need for washing or any extensive work. Just cut out, glue and paint.

If this model is anything like them then we'll have nothing to be concerned about.

Wasn't Slambo after Centos?

If you let this get in the way it questions if you really wanted the model in the first place.

I think you're underestimating just how much some people don't like resin period, or how badly Finecast poisoned the well. I for one was really psyched when the model preview dropped (don't even have a Guard Army), but I have 0 interest in buying resin from GW proper. I don't trust GW resin because of Finecast, and have no wish to keep contributing my monies to telling them 'this is OK'. Plastic, yes. Metal, yes. Resin? Only from FW.

I just don't get why these few models are not done in plastic. 'Limited edition' doesn't wash, because the Imperial Space Marine was in plastic, and that was an incredibly limited run.

I just don't get why these few models are not done in plastic. 'Limited edition' doesn't wash, because the Imperial Space Marine was in plastic, and that was an incredibly limited run.

Yes it does. 

The 2017 ISM was done in a minimal run and still sold out basically on the spot. It was not intended to be a sustained model, so a short run and done was OK. The resin miniatures can use moulds that will be 3D printed and redone, making short low quantity runs made on a moment's notice sustainable which is not the case with plastic.

Absolutely understandable why those are not done in plastic. It's exactly because they are limited in number, but still need not to vanish after a few weeks completely.

Yes it does. 

The 2017 ISM was done in a minimal run and still sold out basically on the spot. It was not intended to be a sustained model, so a short run and done was OK. The resin miniatures can use moulds that will be 3D printed and redone, making short low quantity runs made on a moment's notice sustainable which is not the case with plastic.

Absolutely understandable why those are not done in plastic. It's exactly because they are limited in number, but still need not to vanish after a few weeks completely.

Sorry, but I think I'm missing something here.

How are Slambo, Canoness Whatsherface or Centos different from the Imperial Space Marine? They were all short term releases not intended as sustained models. OK, there seemed to be a bit more intense hype around Imperial SM (boy, he sold out fast), but they all followed the same, limited pattern, and all seemed to sell out pretty swiftly. If the Imperial Space Marine justified a plastic mould, I don't see why the others wouldn't too. Yet they were in resin.

As for Marbo, is he meant to be a limited run too, or a regular part of the IG range? Amidst all the excitement and disappointment around this release I don't think I've seen that mentioned. If he's a Slambo-style release, then the previous confusion applies. However, if he's meant to be a permanent part of the range, resin seems a really weird choice, as GW have been moving towards only plastic releases recently. This seems like a strange backwards step.

Edited by Leif Bearclaw

• 3 weeks later...

I bit of a hype title, I know.

Sly Marbo will be available only on Boxing Day and only from GW shops, not online.  Then he will be available some time in Q1 2018.

News are courtesy of Faeit 212:

http://natfka.blogspot.ca/2017/12/sly-marbo-only-available-for-one-day.html

http://natfka.blogspot.ca/2017/12/sly-marbo-coming-in-q1.html

PcJkp2I.jpg