New to GK and 8th Edition

Piper

I have a collection of GK that I started assembling towards the end of 7th as an allied detachment that I want to convert into a usable 8th edition GK army.  Here is a list of what I have, and I could use any recommendations on changes or load outs though many of the models are built. 

HQ

GM Voldus

Librarian with Nemesis Warding Stave

Troops

GK Terminator Squad- Justicar with Hammer, 3 Halbrids, 1 Psycannon

Elites

Apothecary with Hammer

Paladin Ancient with banner and falchion

Venerable Dreadnought with 2 TL Autocannons

Fast Attack

Interceptor Squad- Justicar with Falchions, 3 swords, 1 Incinerator

Heavy

Nemesis Dreadknight with dreadfist, heavy incenerator, nemesis greatsword

I have a box of terminators/paladins, and 2 of the 5 man power armor boxes unassembled to work with.

What you you recommend changing with whats already built?

I was planning on doing 2 x 5 man strike squads with falchions with the PA boxes

Any other additions/purchases to get a good start at 1500?

Welcome brother!

I can suggest you some changes, due to the new edition, but it depends on your local meta.

Firstly drop the librarian for a GMDKN, using the model of DK that in this edition is absolutely underperforming. GMDKN should have the great sword, psylencer and psycannon. 

Termy as troops are too expansive and not so useful. I agree with you taking PAGK (3x5 or more) to fulfil mandatory troops. Anyway Termy should have psylencer and falchion except for the justice who should take a hammer.

Good the apo and pally could be a good choice, but it depends on your opponent. Play some games with them and see if they worth.

Venerable is easy to kill (first blood) and doesn't help you in destroying heavy tank. To have a good performance it needs a GM near but in this case it is a waste of point.  

I never played interceptors so I can't give you any feedback about them, but you should give them falchions and no special weapons. Hammer on justicar.

As told, DK is a waste of point mostly, and in any case he shouldn't use incenerator.

HQ

GM Voldus

Librarian with Nemesis Warding Stave

Troops

GK Terminator Squad- Justicar with Hammer, 3 Halbrids, 1 Psycannon

Elites

Apothecary with Hammer

Paladin Ancient with banner and falchion

Venerable Dreadnought with 2 TL Autocannons

Fast Attack

Interceptor Squad- Justicar with Falchions, 3 swords, 1 Incinerator

Heavy

Nemesis Dreadknight with dreadfist, heavy incenerator, nemesis greatsword

I have a box of terminators/paladins, and 2 of the 5 man power armor boxes unassembled to work with.

What you you recommend changing with whats already built?

I was planning on doing 2 x 5 man strike squads with falchions with the PA boxes

Voldus is pretty excellent in smaller games, and even at 2k+ he's quite nice. 

Librarian is kinda overcosted garbage sadly. We only have six powers and out of those about 3-4 that matter in a normal game. If he could still take Librarius powers he would have a role. 

Apothecary is good, one of the better foot characters actually. 

Paladin Ancient isn't worth IMO, you're better off taking more Paladins.

Venerable Dreads are fine, you might want to consider twin lascannon+missile launcher so you can deal with multi-wound threats.

Interceptors are good, drop the incinerator though (it has no synergy with them anymore due to 8" range). 

Dreadknight I would take as a Grandmaster DK now, the regular one is garbage.

I would only be taking Paladins in 8th, regular Terminators are still terrible.

Strikes are very good, Purgators make a nice backfield drop to help with anti-infantry.

Falchions are definitely the way to go on Strikes. Mine have killed Terminators quite reliably in melee with them.

Edited by Reclusiarch Darius
clarification

Quick note: apothecaries are Elites, not HQ's. They ARE characters though, so you can give them relics and hide them behind units.

I pretty much agree on the rest.

Edited by Helycon