Chapter Approved Pertaining to Thousand Sons

Prot

I was thinking about something Re: the relic.

For those of us who make lists with Ahriman and Magnus (and very few Sorcerers or Exalted Sorcerers, maybe one or two), the relic would not be very good on a guy who just stays near your deployment zone casting Prescience on a predator or something.

So it begs the question: Should we replicate the Ahriman's Exiles formation from 7th ed? Ahriman with a supreme command of exalteds on discs would take advantage of both the new relic (given 2 one of the guys) and the new stratagem that requires other psykers to be in range.

Any guy with the relic should be thrown towards the enemy's deny characters to negate that benefit. Kind of like you throw howling banshees at a unit that has painful overwatch, like rubrics with tons of warpflamers, because it takes away their cool benefit of good overwatch..

You sir read my mind; id love to do this. 

I am sure when our codex is out itll be even better but that + cabalistic ritual + re-roll deny + casting on doubles being unstoppable + casts a turn for slinging 7 spells.  Is going to be great fun and really cool on the table, and if NOT playing against a psyker enemy list you swap the Re-roll deny for the ignore wounds on 6's, to ignore a possible perils on Ahriman. 

that being said; its 476 points. 155 for each disc exalted (under chapter approved points costs) + ahriman at 166.  I think that given the amount of spells we have access to...and the +2 to cast for any of the "cabal" members....well.....I think it works out really well and good be formidable in a semi-competitive meta. 

Added bonus; take TONS of tzaangors with that formation for tons of t4 5++ re rolls on T4 bodies with decent stats to move quick in support and engage targets to stay away from the cabal.

Not to be negative nelly, but the odds of the scrolls working on a WC 6 power is 1 out of every 12 casts, less on higher warp charge powers... that’s really not the sort of item that I would ever rely on especially with an absolute maximum of 3 eligible casts per turn (unless it’s an aura ability which I kinda doubt). I will take it in my lists after the chapter approved comes out but only because it’s our only option.

Side note: can special characters take relics?

I’ve already stated my case against ‘firestorm’...

Overall I’m reasonably happy with our stratagem and rather pleased with the warlord trait (even if it is a bit niche). Cabalistic ritual potentially combined with a command reroll to get those critical powers off reliably, and ‘Arrogance’ would be really powerful on Ahriman vs grey knights/Eldar/even Tyranid! If facing tau or ad-mech leave it at home.

I’m also really looking forward to using some of the price decreases in other things like force weapons, terminator sorcerer, predator Autocannons and the like.

Overall, I’d say the chapter approved is treating us reasonably ok even if we do have a couple of real stinkers. (This post has been far more schizophrenic and longer than intended!

Edited by Paladin777

Not to be negative nelly, but the odds of the scrolls working on a WC 6 power is 1 out of every 12 casts, less on higher warp charge powers... that’s really not the sort of item that I would ever rely on especially with an absolute maximum of 3 eligible casts per turn (unless it’s an aura ability which I kinda doubt). I will take it in my lists after the chapter approved comes out but only because it’s our only option.

Side note: can special characters take relics?

Typically no. Most codexes say that the special characters are using relics, and can't take 'additional' ones. (In Ahirman's case it would be referring to his staff). But relics are pretty easy to get in a list I find.

Thank you. This makes the scrolls even less attractive in my opinion as you can’t even put it on your triple casters (Ahriman and Magnus who are also the only casters that can pass some tests with double 2’s). This makes for on average about one non-dispellable spell per game and you have no control over when it will happen. Edited by Paladin777

Did anyone else notice in chapter approved that Sicarans came down a huge amount of points?  The Twin Accelerator auto cannon....went from 75 points to FREE. 

the tank was 295, my same load out is now 220.....me thinks that will be an autoinclude for a while within our lists, volume, Anti air, AND reliable AT..... feels like a necessity. 

I plan to use mine with all heavy bolters which comes in at 190, so cheap!

Right????  I couldn't believe it. 

We got some substantial points drops in a few places, and we can nickle-and-dime our way to substantial points given we are now saving 4-6 points per squad for sword/stave/axe coming down, soul reapers coming down, among alot of other little changes. 

Exalteds on disc are "okay" at 155 though id prefer cheaper, and on foot exalteds are 121 with sword or stave so not awful for what they bring to the table considering the buffed statline and okay aura (make the aura count for non-infantry and ill call it great) 

And basic sorcerers just keep getting cheaper lol. 98 for a sword or stave sorcerer is a bargain value. 

i have the worst luck lol its so bad that i am making a new army

What!?!?!

I would use the strat on Smite. Personally that's its greatest value right now to me.

Arch, keep in mind the army badly needs a codex. We aren't Orks where just more is better, and it all works out in CC... we need some actual rules fixes.

OH... and throw away those Thousand Sons dice (or pack them up). I finally, finally stopped using them about a month ago. They are mathematically the worst dice I've ever owned. That deep etched skull is a killer. beautiful dice but easily the most frequent 1 rolling dice I've ever owned.

So what are you making... Thousand Sons 2.0? :wink:

Edited by Prot

I will have to check out Chessex to see if they can custom up some dice. I'm  about finished on a new 10 man squad of Rubrics that I am painting in Hermatic Blade theme (white with blue, blue with white?) and some matching dice would be cool.

Also found a place online that produced water transfers of the fiery serpent icon in black as well as homemade eye icon as well.  They are supposed to show up this week.  I am painting these by individual piece (All legs, then all tabards, upper torsos etc...)  I finished the shoulder pads on Sunday and now need to paint 10 helms, base 10 bases and after that assemble.  excited to see how they turn out when they are put together...

On a another note would there be much benefit if Exalted Sorcerers could also be taken as an Elite choice as well as an HQ?  Not doing much playing so not up on all the rules, is there a detachment that allows for multiple elites to be paired with an HQ?  Or is is just as well to take a detachment made up of all the HQs?  Again have not looked at the FOC Chapter in a while.  

There has to be a while to be bring back the exiles formation.

Edited by Skerr

i have the worst luck lol its so bad that i am making a new army

What!?!?!

I would use the strat on Smite. Personally that's its greatest value right now to me.

Arch, keep in mind the army badly needs a codex. We aren't Orks where just more is better, and it all works out in CC... we need some actual rules fixes.

OH... and throw away those Thousand Sons dice (or pack them up). I finally, finally stopped using them about a month ago. They are mathematically the worst dice I've ever owned. That deep etched skull is a killer. beautiful dice but easily the most frequent 1 rolling dice I've ever owned.

So what are you making... Thousand Sons 2.0? :wink:

Wow this is weird, at one point a gent (used loosely) I play with who frequents my FLGS actually accused me loading my dice. I rolled that well, 4/5/6 the whole game.

So I then decided to prove the point about my "abnormal luck" with my thousand sons, and we swapped dice. I took his dice, he took mine.  He then proceeded to roll 1/2/3's the rest of the game with the same dice that I used and he got incredibly frustrated.  Now I know logically that probability is a cruel mistress.... I just found this incredibly funny given the circumstances. 

It also tends to be a theme in my games, My Black Legion and my Genestealer Cult tend to ..... roll fairly poorly actually, I haven't had a lot of luck with either army and lost several times due to a series of bad rolls

Yet using the GW  dice with my Thousand Sons I tend to roll so abnormally high its insane, I also tend to 6/6 perils a fair bit unfortunately as a hilarious side effect....... I always felt the Lord of Change is very displeased with me for cheating on my Thousand Son's.....fate is capricious indeed.....

Here is a link to their face book page and home pages.

https://www.facebook.com/fallouthobbies/

http://www.fallouthobbies.com/

Bit of info, you pay in advance. You get two images on one transfer sheet for $30. Scratch, draw or concept your designs, send them in, they put them through Vector software to sharpen the images. Send you proofs and ask about additional sizes. They keep a file for you in case you want additional sheets for $15.

I sent them a copy of the fiery serpent and a Tzeentch Eye I made up. When I got the proofs they asked about sizes. I gave them several dimensions for tanks, vehicles etc though I also mentioned and sent pics of the space available on the SOT shoulder pads. I asked for the images to both be at 4mm to be able to fit on the small space of the SOTs pads.

What was nice is a realized I did not put much effort into the eye and 4 1/2 weeks in (5-6 weeks for custom designs) I sent a more complex design and asked it it was too late to switch, that I would pay another fee. They responded it was no problem though I did go to the back of the line I guess as this is the 11th or 12th week. I got a shipping confirmation on the 21st of Nov though when I checked it Sun night (after finishing my shoulder pads) I saw it was still waiting the item at USPS. I reached out to them on Monday for a status update though have not heard back yet. I expect to hear back today or tomorrow. I am sure they were busy the week of TDay and perhaps this is second line of revenue for these guys and not their main profession, maybe a side hustle, and I have learned to be patient with Hobby shops. The fact they allowed a resubmission was a kind gesture showing they know their base and aim to please.:smile.:

Going to Hobbytown today to get Micro Set and Sol to hopefully do these this weekend if they come in.

If you check out their page they go to major tournies, set up booths, meet new and existing customers.

Once I get the transfers in and set them I will write up a review, maybe post pics.

I asked for both images in black as I went with white power armor though they can go any color you choose. They also spec out the material and equipment used for printing.

They have been easy to work with, i like them seeking clarity on sizes and their presence in the hobby. They got cool stencils (custom also) as well. I posted a question on Dakka about custom transfers and they were suggested.

Update: I did hear back from them today apologizing for the delay. Looks like they had a big Black Friday sale with a lot of new orders which is great for them. They mentioned my order is in the que and will ship shortly. Looking forward to the final product.

Edited by Skerr