I’m back and need guidance

GhostMalone

So looks like after a nearly 6+month hobby hiatus I’m back, but back to what?

Well this hobby and even the B&C has changed so much I can barely recognise it in some respects.

Since the passing of Allan Bligh and the sow trickle of news that filters through from the internet, (note I’ve actively avoided anything wargaming related since I dunno march) I have no idea what to do where to start etc. rather then start up A WIP thread I thought let’s put it out there;

What does the community want to see me do?

Now in saying this I’m trying a new approach: a community based army build.

This is that what you want to see and what the communities ideas are. I’m over having an obsession for everything 30k and honestly would love to just attempt to be more of an artist and sculptor, rather then a fanboy as it limits the creativity and evolution of my skill sets to what I’m comfortable with. So I’m saying that I need your help.... and with your help I will have some guidelines.

We need a theme- something to center around weather it be an army concept idea or the opportunity to craft a unique concept.

We need a difficulty level- this can be anything from painting style basing limitations to percentage of models being converted etc.

We need input- any idea that comes along that I like the idea of I need a percentage of people’s input and criticisms, any choice I go to make when putting forward a question will be given a month for people to add their input; from purchases to designs and concepts of characters vehicles and squads. If within that time frame I do not receive any feedback etc I will drop the idea.

Now this whole post is to help me step back in refreshed and separated from the previous hobbyist I was. No longer do I want to be that person but I would rather take ideas and stuff from you my fellow frater, too long have I allowed my judgements in my personal and professional life be made by myself and usually have a tendency to overlook minor aspects that ultimately ruin how I feel and interact with my passions.

So I’m using the greater judgement of you and our community to offset this trait of mine!

Kindest Regards,

Taron.

First off, sit back for a minute and contemplate which faction you feel a pull toward (note that xenos aren't off limits anymore!)

The community can advise, but if the project isn't something you're excited about, you aren't going to give it your all.

Then after you've decided what excites you as a base idea, then we can come in and offer a direction.

Honestly I’m not fussed either way the point of this is to take a step back and not let my judgement over ride any decisions. As stated this is for me to be out of my comfort zone and to push myself in ways I would previously avoid

Honestly, you should fuss a little. Letting the internet decide will result in your commander being named Mariney McMarineface. Edited by Iron Father Ferrum

I certainly wouldn't want you to take on any project you won't enjoy, at least artistically, but I'll throw out some of the ideas I've had that will likely languish on the back burner forever. In no particular order...

Children of X - a coalition of successors of a particular legion. Some stand out as being more interesting than others (Ultras, Angels, Unforgiven, Fists). Could take the form of an Honour Company as a usable army, or just a series of one-off models as an artistic project. I've always particularly liked the idea of a meeting of Masters of the Unforgiven. Making ~12 characters that look like unique characters but still being able to tie them together with a common palate seems like quite a challenge.

Square Peg, Round Hole - a force of unconventional tactics from a known chapter. White Scars heavy support company, Ultramarines crusaders, Word Bearers bikes, etc.

The New Kids - 9 or 18 models from successor chapters/warbands. Use existing groups or make up your own. Try to make each model look both distinct, but have enough modeled/painted hints that someone should be able to figure out who is whom. More of an exercise in conveying info thru unconventional modeling and painting than anything else.

Outside your comfort zone - it sounds like you've been a long term Marine painter. Maybe go for something completely different to stretch your talents. Eldar or Tau have distinct different shapes to work with, while orks or even some Age of Sigmar (gasp!) models could get you working with other shapes, patterns, and textures.

Go retro - pick up some very old models and paint them up with modern technique, or paint up some new models in the old 'Eavy Metal "red period" style. It's amazing how much the paint job can dictate the look of the model as much as the sculpt can.

Edit: I'd like to second Mariney McMarineface. Or Beaky McBeakface if in MkVI armor.

Edited by Kinstryfe

Thanks guys been painting the occcasional xenos model so that’s no issue there, I know where people are coming from and it’s understandable, yet I’m still not allowing myself to make the decisions.

If this was a commission army etc I was doing I can’t just do what I want I have to abide by the clients requests.

That’s part of this idea build something unique and to allow myself to not stress over the fine details

In that case how about the hh crusader force for a start, then a 40k duplicate so chaos guys are in changed colours?

Might as well go Alpha Legion, gives a lot of fluffy leeway on why the army is the way it is.

Weather - Tropical motif, Coconut Shells and Crabs should be predominant upon the bases alongside spent Bolter casings.

Difficulty Level - Use only Five Paints, have 2 HQ , 3 Elites, 4 Fast Attack, 4 Troops and 4 Heavy Support

Input - Company people of note should be named after BBQ meats and sauces.

An army of Bad Moons with a gangsta rap theme.

Call the Flash Gits "The Illest".

Do not forget Doc Lowpants and Boss Grotchgrab. I want to see loads of bling, boomboxes and lowrider hydraulics on the vehicles. You call them Da Hoodstompaz :D

How about an Imperial Crusade? Return to the roots of BnC and make an Imperial Soup with a few Guardsmen, Marines, Ministorum and Inquisition Agents as well as Celestine counts-as Imperial Saint. That would inspire me so much, I'd write the fluff myself :ohmy.:

Edited by Frater Cornelius

I certainly wouldn't want you to take on any project you won't enjoy, at least artistically, but I'll throw out some of the ideas I've had that will likely languish on the back burner forever. In no particular order...

Square Peg, Round Hole - a force of unconventional tactics from a known chapter. White Scars heavy support company, Ultramarines crusaders, Word Bearers bikes, etc.

I like that idea. I've always wondered how the White Scars had an elite terminator force in the HH called Keshig that is essentially the opposite of the legion's purpose.

I would like to see a Unification-Era force, say a World Eaters force done instead as the War Hounds.

I like that idea. I've always wondered how the White Scars had an elite terminator force in the HH called Keshig that is essentially the opposite of the legion's purpose.

I would like to see a Unification-Era force, say a World Eaters force done instead as the War Hounds.

This sounds kinda neat too, though if you’ve already painted a bunch of HH marines it might not be the challenge you’re looking for.

What if for whatever you did you picked a single color to work with (broad, like red, green, orange, whatever) and only painted armour and equipment in shades of that (and maybe leadbelcher or something). I’m not much of a painter myself so I’m not sure how helpful that is.

This sounds kinda neat too, though if you’ve already painted a bunch of HH marines it might not be the challenge you’re looking for.

What if for whatever you did you picked a single color to work with (broad, like red, green, orange, whatever) and only painted armour and equipment in shades of that (and maybe leadbelcher or something). I’m not much of a painter myself so I’m not sure how helpful that is.

I'm not a big fan of limiting what paints you use. Not because I think someone should use everything, but you could potentially block your self from a really nice looking army by setting arbitrary limits on paint usage.

Another idea comes to mind, which may be helpful since the idea is to stretch your limits. Are there any colors you traditionally shy away from? For example, I can rock out bless all day, and am good with purples, black, green. The traditionally easy tones. So in my Ultramarines I've made sure to incorporate reds so that I has to get skilled at them. Likewise I've never tackled a project with a crisp yellow, and have only painted a smattering of pure white.

If there's any color you're less skilled with, I may recommend working with those. It'll force you to build some skills you may not already have.

So far I’m loving Fraeter Corneilius’ idea, and thanks so much everyone I’m appreciative of all the feed back;

Now I think limiting the paints isn’t a great idea if I’m adding multiple army facets IE guard marines inquisition etc but limiting the scheme idea per selection would work to keep a cohesive look.

Now I wouldn’t mind having a crack at the harder colours to pull off Yellow proper shades of black etc but I would also love to go the traditional route of the old 40k look pushing away from bright colours and cartoonish crap.

But as I’ve said it’s not up to me: so let’s get some more ideas coming guys and at the end of the year I’ll write up a list of all the ideas and open it up to a poll. Don’t just limit your ideas to Heresy and Imperial happy to go Deamons cultists etc

Why not go proper Old-Skool and do a Rogue Trader force, complete with hired Blood Axe mercenaries, and all sorts of other oddness?

Painting-wise, go you could try something a little Blanche-esque, with a juxtaposition of dark and bright colours, and make use various patterns like checks, stripes, camo, etc. Bonus points if you manage to work some Goblin green into the bases in a tasteful manner.

It's been ages since I saw anybody do anything like that (and I don't mean little Inq28 retinues), and it would give you both a lot of freedom and a varied force.