Emperor's Shield Adeptus Astartes Challenge

Brother Tyler

med_gallery_26_13909_60827.png

Members of the B&C are challenged with the modelling and painting a power armoured kill team of Adeptus Astartes from select Chapters that participated in the Third War for Armageddon.

The purpose of this challenge is to find imagery suitable to decorate the finished Adeptus Astartes in Shadow War: Armageddon rules that will be published here at the B&C for download. The winning squad will be featured at the bottom of page 12. And the member submitting the winning squad will also receive some other small prizes to be announced later.

Below are images showing the Chapters that participated in the campaign. Where known, the progenitor legion is provided to show the Chapter Honours to follow in the linked rules (with regard to weapons and equipment you may include). Click on each image for a larger version:

sml_gallery_26_7488_289777.jpg
Celebrants (10 companies)
Black Dragons (9 companies) [possible Salamanders]
Angels of Redemption (4 companies) [Dark Angels]
Blood Angels (1 company) not eligible*
Salamanders (6 companies)
Raptors (5 companies) [Raven Guard]
Black Templars (3 crusades) not eligible*
Mortifactors (10 companies) [ultramarines]

sml_gallery_26_7488_264848.jpg
Storm Lords (2 brotherhoods) [White Scars]
Storm Giants (5 companies) [possible Salamanders]
Omega Marines (9 companies)
Space Wolves (5 great companies) not eligible*
Angels of Fire (7 companies)
Silver Skulls (7 companies) [ultramarines]
Marines Malevolent (2 companies)
Relictors (10 companies)

sml_gallery_26_7488_96760.jpg
Sons of Guilliman (6 companies) [ultramarines]
Celestial Lions (10 companies) [imperial Fists]
Angels of Vigilance (6 companies) [possible Dark Angels]
Angels Porphyr (8 companies)
Exorcists (12 companies)
White Scars (3 brotherhoods)
Flesh Tearers (5 companies) [blood Angels]
Iron Champions (7 companies) [imperial Fists]
Legion of the Damned (?) not eligible**

* The "Big 5" Chapters (Black Templars, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Ultramarines, Space Wolves) aren't eligible because we want to focus on other Chapters. Successors of the "Big 5" Chapters are okay, however.

** The Legion of the Damned isn't covered in the linked rules.

What to Submit: One image of your power armoured (legacy) Adeptus Astartes kill team, created per these rules and representing one of the eligible Chapters shown above. Your kill team may include up to 1 special operative (but doesn't have to include one, if you don't want). No Primaris Marines! The Third War for Armageddon took place before the Primaris Marines came into play, so we're looking for legacy Space Marine models.

Members may submit as many kill teams as they want, but may only submit one (1) image in jpg format of each kill team. The image should be at least 800 pixels across, and should be cropped to minimize wasted space. No backgrounds or terrain are necessary - a different image of the winning kill team will be used in the rules and that will be taken later. You can find tutorials on photographing your miniatures here.

E-mail your submissions to @Brother Tyler at sml_gallery_26_548_3422.png. Include your display name in the e-mail. Pictures of entries should not be posted or saved here at the B&C (e.g., in your galleries or in topics, whether within the Forge or your faction-specific forum). Once the members have voted for their favorite, then you can post WIPs and what-not to show everyone how you did it and how it came out.

Deadline to enter: Midnight 7 January 2018 (the holidays will probably be busy, so I'll give some extra time). Basically, as long as it is in my e-mail inbox when I log in first thing on Monday 8 January, it will be allowed.

The members will vote for their favorite and I'll contact the winning member so that we can discuss the composition of the image that will be used in the finished rules (and it will include either terrain or a plain background, so keep that in mind).

In addition to the winning kill team, one or two other miniatures from among those entered will also be included in the finished rules. Selection of these models will be my prerogative, based on variety (i.e., the additional miniature(s) will differ from the winning kill team in terms of colors and lineage, along with whatever I find aesthetically pleasing). I'll also contact the creators of images for the additional Chapter(s) that will be used so that we can discuss final image composition.

If you have any questions, post them here.

You can see the submissions in this post. Vote by replying (you have through Sunday, January 14). Edited by Brother Tyler

I made a minor tweak to the rules, affecting the Salamanders Chapter Honours. You can see it detailed here.

If we get enough kill team submissions, I may increase the number of kill teams pictured (by removing some flavor text). I have a matrix of combinations, so much will depend upon whether we get sufficient variety. I'd like to have some differences in color, naming conventions, imagery, and lineage (e.g., I don't want just red Chapters, or just Chapters descended from the Ultramarines).

Cool. I'd been watching the rules development and planned on creating a kill team for one of my DIYs using those rules. This is an interesting challenge (not least because the chapters I'm most interested in are ineligible, so I'm forced to look at some alternatives I hadn't given much thought to before, but which I'm now incentivized to study a bit).

Just to be certain (before I start painting), the intent is for the entries to be painted up as one of the Armageddon chapters, not just a chapter using those rules. So I couldn't, say, paint up a kill team in the Angels of Vengeance scheme to fill in as the Angels of Redemption. Nor could I paint up one of my DIYs (in the scheme of my DIY chapter) and submit them as one of the Armageddon chapters.

Also, do you want the kill team(s) to be representative of their rules? For example, the Imperial Fists rules allow the veteran sergeant to take a combat shield, storm shield, and storm bolter, so a "representative" Imperial Fists veteran sergeant might have one or more of those. a "representative" Unforgiven kill team, meanwhile, would have at least one plasma weapon. And I assume that a kill team from a chapter with a defined lineage is limited to the relevant rules. So a kill team of the Celestial Lions, a chapter now known to be a successor of the Imperial Fists, can't be built using the Iron Hands rules. Correct?

As far as a "single image" goes, are insets allowed? Or do you just want one image of the completed kill team without fanciness?

I'm fully prepared to work on an entry following my strict RAW understanding (no disclosure about which chapter I'm looking at), but I just want to be sure that I'm reading everything correctly.

Yes, entries must be painted as one of the eligible Chapters shown in the first post. The purpose for this restriction was to ensure that the images that will be included in the finished rules are properly representative of the Third War for Armageddon campaign (much like the official rule book lists the Sons of Guilliman in place of the Ultramarines when listing skill sets). There will be a showcase for power armoured Adeptus Astartes kill teams from any Chapter later (and I have a few of my own planned for that).

No, the kill teams don't need to be representative of the rules. The kill team must follow the appropriate rules based on their gene-seed heritage, if they have one that has been declared absolutely by GW, but could just as easily be "generic."

You can do whatever you want with the image, but the key is to ensure that other members of the B&C have a good idea of what the minis look like so that they can pick their favorite(s). The image that is submitted won't be the one that is used in the rules, though, so don't worry about going all out with fancy backgrounds and what-not.

On the selection process at the end, the members of the site will pick their favorite kill team, and that kill team will be the "feature" kill team (not sure exactly what that means :wink: ). Additional kill teams, or members of them, will also be included in the rules, and those will be based in part on the votes. However, I don't want two Salamanders kill teams, or multiple "Angels" Chapters, or two (or three!) red Chapters, etc. So the final votes will serve as a prioritization list and I'll go down the list in order to pick a second and third (and maybe a fourth) based on exclusion criteria (i.e., the #1 kill team sets up "exclusion criteria" for skipping the kill teams in sequence until we get to one that doesn't meet those criteria, etc.). The goal will be for the kill teams that are included in the rules to show diversity. After the challenge ends and we've selected our kill teams for inclusion in the book, I'll create a showcase topic where members can depict their power armoured Adeptus Astartes kill teams from any Chapter. I'd love to see how other hobbyists use the rules, and I'd love to show off my Nova Hawks SWA kill team, and maybe a few other Chapters (I've got some Exorcists, Fire Claws, Imperial Fists, and Black Templars that need to be finished so that they can purge on the tabletop).

Just so everyone has an idea of my exclusions, they include:

• Gene-seed
  • 1st Founding
  • other 2nd Founding (since the "1st Founding" Chapters are properly 2nd Founding Chapters :wink: )
  • color
  • special scheme (i.e., split, halved, "patchwork")
  • name
  • imagery (e.g., skulls in the Chapter badge, lightning bolts in the Chapter badge, etc.)
So the Angels of Redemption hit the following exclusion criteria: 2nd Founding, green, white, skull imagery, wings imagery, "angels" names, Dark Angels successors, special schemes (this Chapter hits the most exclusion factors). The Black Dragons, meanwhile, hit the following exclusion factors: black, creature names, creature imagery, Salamanders successors (actually, they might only be suspected descendants of the Salamanders, so this will depend upon how the kill team is kitted out - if someone submits a Black Dragons kill team that uses the Imperial Fists rules, they'll count as Imperial Fists rather than Salamanders, for example). If I recall correctly, these are the two Chapters at the extreme ends of the exclusions criteria. You can look at the images to figure out where each of the Chapters falls in the exclusions spectrum.

I’m sorry I must be simple. I’m not getting you with the exclusion part Brother Tyler. I would love to do a small band of Mortifactors but reading your exclusions list they wouldn’t work. As in they are a second founding chapter, skull icon, blackish but they are in the list of chapters that are approved. Am I missing something?

The exclusions don't affect what anyone should submit. The members will vote for their favorite kill team, and that kill team will be in the rules.

The exclusions apply to the other kill teams that will be selected for the rules. The point is to have diversity, so if an Angels of Redemption kill team is selected as the winning kill team, then any other Angels of Redemption kill teams will be excluded. I don't want all of the kill teams shown in the rules to be too similar to each other. This will, of course, depend upon the diversity of kill teams that are submitted. If everyone submits Salamanders kill teams, for example, then we'll just be showing Salamanders kill teams.

The analogy is that I wouldn't want the Ultramarines to be the only Chapter shown in the codex. I'd want to have pictures of other Chapters, and not just successors of the Ultramarines (or other blue Chapters, or other Chapters that use a Greek/Roman theme in their appearance). It's the same principle here, but with mostly "minor" Chapters that don't see a lot of time in the spotlight elsewhere (there are a few exceptions, but the majority of the eligible Chapters are relatively minor).

So pick whatever Chapter(s) you want from those that are eligible above and don't worry about the exclusions.

• 3 weeks later...

Dovetailing off deathspectersgt7's post, the deadline has ended (and I was away yesterday, unfortunately).

There were only 2 submissions, but both are very nice. Pick your favorite of the two to be the main winner. Images of both kills teams will be included in the rules.

Angels of Redemption

gallery_26_13909_107977.png

Black Dragons

gallery_26_13909_88516.png

You may vote by replying to this topic. Voting will close whenever I log in Monday morning (January 15).

Note that anyone can vote (i.e., you don't have to have been a participant in the challenge to vote).

Note that different images will be used in the rules. I'll contact each of the members to discuss options.

Please don't give this post a "Like."

I didn't assemble/paint either of the kill teams,

and those are the only reasons to "like" this post.

The entrants will post the images and take credit

for them later. You can "like" them at that time.

They deserve the "likes," not me.

Edited by Brother Tyler