Chapter approved leaks

Chris521

It would be interesting to know how far in advance of publication their Codices and Chapter Approved are finalised and sent to the printers. Were some of these adjustments already in progress at the time C:AMil was just being released? Might explain why some of the changes don’t seem to reflect people’s feedback.

I think the Conscripts points change highlights a problem with the overall downward trend in points costs over recent editions (and also the 8th edition convention of giving points costs per model): there is not much room for fine-tuning if a model costs only three or four points. Maybe they should increase all points costs ten-fold to allow more room for adjustment!

It’s just so.... random.

conscripts being 4PPM pretty much ensure that, unless I’m playing highlander and need to fill a Detachment, they’ll never come out with me. Congrats, you’ve killed the conscripts for Guard.

The artillery changes, eh, I can live with those, but were Wyverns such and issue? I don’t think ive even seen them on the table in 8th but once or twice.

Cawl goes down after you said he’s going up... do they have any clue what they’re releasing? If that doesn’t prove you can’t trust their FB Page about anything rules related, I dunno what does!

Primaris psykers going up seems to be their response to them filling a cheap HQ slot and smite spam. Astropath changes, however, just seem mean. Maybe 20 points would be ok, but 30??

I’m glad they addressed melta gun spam, that was becoming such a huge issue too... *end sarcasm*

I guess I’ll stick to PL for casual games. Which I think is exactly what they want anyway

I.....I... just can't understand what they're doing with conscripts. The only thing that makes any sense to me is that Commissars are reverting to their previous status, or conscripts follow all orders now. Or both. Otherwise conscripts are just ludicrously bad. 

That seems like wishful thinking to me. I doubt if GW would reverse a previous FAQ, that would make it appear as one of two things: 1) they don't know how to go about balancing 40K; or 2) their previous "fixes" were half-baked, and not properly tested. I can't see GW admitting to either of those things. The Conscript and Commissar nerfs along with the excessive price increase for Malefic Lords are obvious over-reactions that only punish the players who don't abuse those units, and do little to discourage the behavior that caused the problems in the first place.

Don’t worry about those other changes we’re all after - when CA 2018 comes out next December for $30/40 all will be addressed!

THIS is what infuriates me and what I cannot in any way support. Freaking DLC/pay after purchase cash grab garbage. Ugh.

The majority of fixes in this edition look like little more than panicked reactions to internet trolls just so GW can appear to be fixing things. They're making a big show of fixing the symptoms while avoiding dealing with the roots of the problems in 8th.

I'll need time to properly go through it all, but so far it's a bit confusing. I'm also not sure where some of this has come from and from the looks of it Guard are far from alone in having some odd changes. It's a little disappointing because 8th started out with such promise but it feels like we're getting knee-jerk responses that's undoing this good start :confused:

So, let's wait for the book to come out. We shall properly go through it, and perhaps, we could write to GW not just individually, but through a forum-based collaborative feedback? If the admins could handle that, and possibly coordinate among the various faction forums, we could make up a file subscribed by hundreds of users. If GW really listens to community feedback, this could be a good effort.

So, let's wait for the book to come out. We shall properly go through it, and perhaps, we could write to GW not just individually, but through a forum-based collaborative feedback? If the admins could handle that, and possibly coordinate among the various faction forums, we could make up a file subscribed by hundreds of users. If GW really listens to community feedback, this could be a good effort.

Sign me up for this!

Operation Un-“Fix” the Guard!

this completely ruins my artillery gun line

having no conscripts ruins a lot of fluff for me running a Guard army 

maybe I can kit bash my models into Genestealers Brood Brothers :( 

GW has lost the plot, I think I should wait another 20 years before playing again 

So Conquerors are now 155 points compared to the Battlecannon Russ at 152. For those 3 points you get 48in on the main gun a Coax Storm Bolter and rerolls to hit when within Storm Bolter range. Now this is great for Vostroyans, but what's everyone's position on Catachans bringing it. Worth the range reduction for the close range pain, or is that lost range too big a hit?

This is amusing to me. My Cyclops and melta guns went up for my Elysians finally. I figured they would as the Cyclops for me regularly took out three times or more than its points cost in EVERY game(no really, EVERY game I brought one). Granted I didn't spam them like "that guy" bringing nine or twelve of them in a list either. The most I brought was three and usually only one as a surprise(Its fairly effectively camouflaged and with its small size easily overlooked when sitting next to terrain and more than one makes the opponent look for them.) So I have to pay 60 for it now. Its more than worth it still. My codex guard army was barely touched on this one too so aside from finding an extra 20 points for the one cyclops it has, I should be good.

My marines weathered it great. I actually get to add troops to both of my armies. Hell, I get to almost add a full squad to my Minotaurs. Yay us!

All in all I think a lot of over reaction. Most point increases make sense. A few confusing things. But all in all its ok with me.

I know everyone is all uppity about needing different books and faq papers and what not. But honestly I would rather that, then no attempt to balance and every thing just staying stagnat and everyone complaining that GW never does anything. The method they're using isn't the best but at least they are trying. Not a GW apologist It's just since 2nd edition this kind of rapid "fixing" (whether right or wrong) never got done so it is refreshing.

I agree with you there Altasmurf. I wish GW would just release their own BattleScribe app. Even at a subscription per month I’d buy it in order not to need to buy/carry all these books around.

The changes are nonsensical, but now with a few days to calm down, I’ll survive. New lists will be built and fun will continue to be had. The sky hasn’t fallen, Chicken Little, it was just a small poop storm.

I am fine with most of the changes. Only the conscript one confuses me, why are they the same price as normal guardsmen? Other then that, my autocannons went down (good) and my psykers and cyclops went up (expected and needed)

None of the changes make sense or are particularly well-implemented.  Autocannons being cheaper is good, but why ignore the overcosted vehicle with 4 of them?  Psykers may have been an issue, but now Astropaths being practically the same price as Primaris Psykers means you're just buying more Primaris Psykers.  Fix the astropaths, don't make them a dead spot in the codex.  Fix the commissars, don't make their ability an active deterrent.  The FAQ already kiboshed most conscript-heavy lists, did they really need another beating (and I don't even use conscripts)?  Who in the world is wrecking shop with Ratlings and meltagun spam?

Anyway, it seems the more FW models you had, the more you were screwed by this Chapter Approved.  If you mostly had GW plastic, then you don't care about most of the egregious nonsense that went on.

Exception of main rule book ive gone all digital. Done with lugging an equivalent weight of an actual battle kit to games.

The main appeal of Conscripts to me was in the wake of combined squads being removed; who wants to track a dozen plus infantry squads. It shouldnt be a stupid strategem.

Edited by Akrim