Chapter Approved point cost changes

Withershadow

Yeah, it's mainly the Lord's of War that went up.

No real comments on why yet, but the general feeling is to stop them from showing up in "normal" games.

Problem is, when any Imperial player and being 1-3 Shadowswords... That are criminally cheap... Well.

Tell that to most of my renegades army.. every single piece of artillery is now not only worse than normal tanks but also more expensive:/.. I dont even care about the malefic lord nerf as i only use one. Sure the normal dudes got cheaper but now they just cost the same as normal IG without cool stuff like orders... But i dont want to be all doom and gloom.. My ad mech army got around 100pts cheaper. . 

So, do these points adjustments get pushed out to the digital codex, or do I really need to purchase a new book to be up-to-date with my army list?

Don't get me wrong, I'm interested in some of the other content in Chapter Approved. What if I'm not so interested, now, or in a future CA? What if I can't afford to pick it up right away? I was really hoping the reboot of the 40k system was going to consolidate and lower the book count required to play. Does anyone else think this course by GW is quickly returning to the old dilemma?

The points costs will also be reflected in your digital army builder of choice, though I like having the ability to double-check so I think having a copy of the CA (digitally or otherwise) might be wise if you're serious about competitive play.

Errr... call me old-school (I'll admit I'm starting to get quite a few solar orbits behind me), but I don't use a digital army builder. I like creating my own army roster sheets so the information is displayed in a way that I prefer; I'm a geek, and I actually enjoy doing the desktop publishing, creating the layout, adding a few army themed graphics, etc.. But I do have a digital codex, and funny, it should be just as easy to update it to reflect the changes made by GW. I've worked in IT, pushing out updated files over a network should not be a major logistic challenge.

Also, I haven't been very impressed with the consistency of the digital content that GW has been making; half of the files display perfectly fine with everything exactly how it should be, and half of them have incorrect fonts displaying for every title/heading text at the top of pages/sections and for every item entry. It makes some things difficult to read at best, and impossible to read at worse. I've researched the problem and can't find a solution, unfortunately. I want to embrace the digital content for a number of reasons, but GWs handling of it is making it very hard. Will the CA digital book have errors in the same way? I won't know until I pay, and I don't want to support a poor quality product that may never be updated or fixed. I'd like to avoid the hard copies for the space savings and such, but oops, I'm stuck in a catch-22.

I'm not hyper competitive, but I do like to compose legal/correct army lists, and support the company that produces the game that I love. I want to give them my money for consistent good quality product (which is lacking in their digital content), and I'm not keen on being 'nickeled and dimed' in a hobby that is already quite expensive. It's not that the content of the book won't appeal to me at some point, but for now, I just want a few bits of the data that it contains (less than 1% of the book, really) that completely overlaps with a digital book that I already own.

Ok, I'll stop rambling/ranting. I know, I'll have to accept the reality of the situation no matter what it is, but I'm just trying to figure out exactly what that reality is.