New releases for Dark Angels

Chaplain Raeven

Well, confirms we get at least a surge of vanilla space marine units (about time!). The accessory sprue confirms aggressors will be added. Pretty safe to assume all primaris are in.

I'm glad that there are no primaris in the inner circle. Hopefully there never will be. 

I wonder if scout bikes will be ravenwing or a recruiting pool for them. I'm guessing the latter. 

All of the primaris units were usable for Dark Angels. This was specifically stated on the sheet that was updated with every new release. You can find it here.

I'm not sure these units were missing as such. We have the Nephilim, which is great and to be fair, the Dark Talon was chosen most of the time as a flyer, so it's a difficult spot to contest. 

Hunter/Stalkers were amazing in 7th due to the fact that flyer's hard to hit being a 6+, not a -1 to hit. It's nowhere near as needed in 8th edition. Not too fussed really. 

And Scout Bikers, while very fluffy, I'm already having trouble incorporating regular bikers in lists. They just don't bring that much too the table over Black Knight's most of the time. They're overpriced and outclassed. Hopefully with a point reduction, I can see it happening, but so far, I'm not too fussed. 

I'd loved to have the Storm Raven as a unit. THAT is actually sorely missing. It's an amazing piece of kit with a transport capability that is unriveled, due to the fact it can transport a dreadnaught without losing capacity for regulars. It's not as stupidly priced as a Lucius Pattern drop pod (relatively, of course), can still move afterwards and has a ton of firepower. 

Hopefully the codex will add some more units, but I'm pretty sure this will be it. Here's to hoping that we get some nice rules changes, point reductions, great stratagems and nifty chapter tactic.

You must be fairly new to the hobby. Nothing is absolute until the codex drops. GW can and has dropped units/models/rules without notice from a new codex. Even if it was previously listed before. Point in fact - attack bike squadrons magically disappeared in 4th edition. Heck, in even the 6th edition preview pics (the same ones in the codex) showed 5 man ravenwing command squads, but the codex only allowed for 3 man.

I question why we're receiving the Stormhawk.  I get why BAs are getting it, but we already have a fighter-interceptor.  What we need is the Stormraven.  Every other chapter gets it (or an equivalent in the case of the SWs).  What, being Unforgiven means no flying transports for us?

Like every other army gets a transport and ad mech doesn't? :wink:

And DA do get a flying transport. Its called a Storm Eagle :teehee:

Edited by twopounder

Well, confirms we get at least a surge of vanilla space marine units (about time!). The accessory sprue confirms aggressors will be added. Pretty safe to assume all primaris are in.

I'm glad that there are no primaris in the inner circle. Hopefully there never will be.

I wonder if scout bikes will be ravenwing or a recruiting pool for them. I'm guessing the latter.

All of the primaris units were usable for Dark Angels. This was specifically stated on the sheet that was updated with every new release. You can find it here.

I'm not sure these units were missing as such. We have the Nephilim, which is great and to be fair, the Dark Talon was chosen most of the time as a flyer, so it's a difficult spot to contest.

Hunter/Stalkers were amazing in 7th due to the fact that flyer's hard to hit being a 6+, not a -1 to hit. It's nowhere near as needed in 8th edition. Not too fussed really.

And Scout Bikers, while very fluffy, I'm already having trouble incorporating regular bikers in lists. They just don't bring that much too the table over Black Knight's most of the time. They're overpriced and outclassed. Hopefully with a point reduction, I can see it happening, but so far, I'm not too fussed.

I'd loved to have the Storm Raven as a unit. THAT is actually sorely missing. It's an amazing piece of kit with a transport capability that is unriveled, due to the fact it can transport a dreadnaught without losing capacity for regulars. It's not as stupidly priced as a Lucius Pattern drop pod (relatively, of course), can still move afterwards and has a ton of firepower.

Hopefully the codex will add some more units, but I'm pretty sure this will be it. Here's to hoping that we get some nice rules changes, point reductions, great stratagems and nifty chapter tactic.

You must be fairly new to the hobby. Nothing is absolute until the codex drops. GW can and has dropped units/models/rules without notice from a new codex. Even if it was previously listed before. Point in fact - attack bike squadrons magically disappeared in 4th edition. Heck, in even the 6th edition preview pics (the same ones in the codex) showed 5 man ravenwing command squads, but the codex only allowed for 3 man.

I question why we're receiving the Stormhawk. I get why BAs are getting it, but we already have a fighter-interceptor. What we need is the Stormraven. Every other chapter gets it (or an equivalent in the case of the SWs). What, being Unforgiven means no flying transports for us?

Like every other army gets a transport and ad mech doesn't? :wink:

And DA do get a flying transport. Its called a Storm Eagle :teehee: .

You must be fairly new to the hobby. Nothing is absolute until the codex drops. GW can and has dropped units/models/rules without notice from a new codex.

I am fairly new, yes.

I know it's not set in stone. I actually feel the wording leaves room for more units than the ones they mentioned. I'm still a little hopeful. We'll see when the codex drops!

I don't think any units will go missing as such, at least, not when compared to the index, save for the chaplain and librarian on bike. Also, I'm hoping for lieutenants. I have two jump packs waiting for those to make sure they can get around quickly.

Also, I refuse to buy a Storm Eagle. A Fire Raptor was enough torture for a lifetime :p .

I want to slap the person who decided to add Scout bikers. All bikes go to Ravenwing, if you're promoted to Ravenwing from one of the companies you get the appropriate training - that's it. You don't get promoted or train with Ravenwing or Deathwing straight out of 10th Company.

And that's some fluff that never made any sense. I have no problem with them retconning it so that they get trained on everything from the get go. Scout bikes and speeders make perfect sense in my mind.

Also: I hope that they don't port over literally everything from vanilla either. I don't think the storm hawk makes any sense since that role is already filled, wouldn't mind the stormraven even if I never use it just because that's a role that isn't. Honestly the only other thing that I hope makes it in is all the different terminator marks and the contemptor.

You must be fairly new to the hobby. Nothing is absolute until the codex drops. GW can and has dropped units/models/rules without notice from a new codex. 

Yes, I'm new to the hobby.  That is, if by "new", you mean "been playing since 3rd edition". :rolleyes:

I really like the model, like all the primaris models I guess, not that I've bought any though.

Shame about the DA upgrade sprue, I was expecting a lot more robes.

Have to agree with the comments regarding the additional vanilla units, codex anti-air was needed much more in 7th. However I'll be wrapped if we get access to the Stormraven within our codex.

Just on the Lieutenant, the White Dwarf article mentioned the rank as being an excellent proving ground for future Company Masters. I thought Company Masters were drawn from the Deathwing Knight's ranks. I wonder if we're to see primaris knights in the future, gravis armoured primaris with a maces of absolution and storm shields!

Guys, seriously, there was no way for them to do full robes on a simple upgrade sprue for $12.50 - the entire sprue would have to become just legs and a torso back with part of a robe, and then a torso front with a piece of robe, because that is how Primaris are constructed, plus maybe a helmet and a single shoulder pad, and nothing else.

Basically you'd have part of the Primaris Lieutenant, and you'd have to make due on the arms, power pack, etc., leaving you short several components for another Marine. Plus all your robed Primaris would be identical twins.

The only way we are getting good robed Primaris is for GW to do a five man squad of them with some variations on the robes similar to how the old robed upgrade combat squad stuff was.

Yes, I'm new to the hobby.  That is, if by "new", you mean "been playing since 3rd edition". :rolleyes:

Helycon is who that reply is for. Read up.

EDIT - Whoops, multi quote caused a messed up, the last part shouldn't have been there.

Edited by twopounder

BoyAdventurer posted this tidbit from the WD in the News’and Rumors section

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/341025-codex-dark-angels-incoming/?p=4942348

Grim Resolve (Chapter Tactic equivalent?) let’s you re-roll 1’s To Hit If you have not moved.

Edited by Indefragable

I question why we're receiving the Stormhawk.  I get why BAs are getting it, but we already have a fighter-interceptor.  What we need is the Stormraven.  Every other chapter gets it (or an equivalent in the case of the SWs).  What, being Unforgiven means no flying transports for us?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/26/blood-bowl-blood-angels-battle-companies-next-weeks-pre-orders/

Taken from the above community post regarding the blood angels release for some insight into what we might and might not get access to from the vanilla codex.

As for new rules, there’s all the awesome stuff you know and love from the rest of this edition’s codexes – Stratagems, Warlord Traits, Psychic Powers and more – as well as some special extras. You’ll now be able to clad the Archangels – the legendary, Terminator-armoured first company of the Blood Angels – in Cataphractii and Tartaros armour, diversifying the range of tactical options available to you. If you prefer aerial warfare, this codex sees the Blood Angels gain access to the popular Stormhawk Interceptor and well as the Stormtalon Gunship

I'm hoping that the list of vanilla units is incomplete. I would love to have land speeder storms, for instance. Regardless of how effective or ineffective it might be, that would let us build a passable tenth company list.

I too am hoping for the storm... mostly so that I can finally use mine.  But also because it is the only land speeder the DA can't use at the moment.

GW can and has dropped units/models/rules without notice from a new codex. Even if it was previously listed before. Point in fact - attack bike squadrons magically disappeared in 4th edition. Heck, in even the 6th edition preview pics (the same ones in the codex) showed 5 man ravenwing command squads, but the codex only allowed for 3 man.

In GW's defense, that typo was one of the first things addressed in the FAQ.  Should a codex be printed without any typos? Sure, I think that would be the gold standard.  But when it comes to video games, no one is surprised or angry that as soon as you buy the game and install it, you have to download an update patch.  Even if you get the game on release day.  Why are we not as tolerant of GW as we are of Blizzard, EA or any of the other video game producers?

I want to slap the person who decided to add Scout bikers. All bikes go to Ravenwing, if you're promoted to Ravenwing from one of the companies you get the appropriate training - that's it. You don't get promoted or train with Ravenwing or Deathwing straight out of 10th Company.

You should really slap the person who said that all bikes go to Ravenwing instead.  The whole reason that line was given was to explain away the reason that we didn't have non-Ravenwing Bike units.  Technically the only reason we are not a Codex chapter is because of how we organize our 1st and 2nd companies.   We follow the codex in every other aspect, to avoid suspicion.  So we should have bike units in the 7th reserve company, just like every other Codex chapter.  Same goes for the 8th reserve company with Speeder Squadrons.

And then there is this little gem from the second edition Angels of Death codex, "the Ravenwing is comprised of the BEST riders, pilots, and gunners in the chapter."  You really can't draw the best if no one in the chapter even gets to look at a bike prior to being inducted into the Ravenwing.

Ravenwing is not like Deathwing, in that as you move up the chain of command you automatically get inducted into Deathwing, you simply have to survive long enough to get promoted.  I mean every company commander/captain is a member of Deathwing, so at least by the rank of Captian, you will be inducted into Deathwing.  Or from the other way round, if you don't get inducted into Deathwing, you will never make Captain.

Ravenwing, on the other hand, is the merit-based company in the chapter.  If you want in, you have to prove that you have the what they are looking for.

*Edit*

Also, remember that the Ravenwing does not have the same knowledge of the Fallen that the Deathwing does.  For the most part, the Ravenwing just knows that these are targets of the highest priority to the chapter.  It is really only the Black Knights that are bumping up close to Deathwing level knowledge of the Fallen... although I still believe that the Black Knights are members of Deathwing, that have the skill level required for Ravenwing.

Edited by ValourousHeart

So it seems grim resolve you can re roll to hit 1's if you didn't move. Good for overcharged plasma weapons.

Don't know if it applies to CC.

There's a blurb in the WD battle report.

I wonder if the inner circle rule will apply to fallen or all chaos marines now.

Edited by Sete

So it seems grim resolve you can re roll to hit 1's if you didn't move. Good for overcharged plasma weapons.

Will save us some points on Company Masters. At least, when you would otherwise bring one only for their aura ability for a stationary formation.

Would this apply to overwatch then? Would make sense, with the rules as written.

It feels a bit like the Grim Resolve of 7th in that sense, although I would've hoped for a Chapter Tactic that did not require us to sit still... but, then again, we have the RW and DW for mobility, which makes this USR ideal for our Greenwing. Makes them a lot more capable to spread out and hold down objectives and strategic positions.

Will save us some points on Company Masters. At least, when you would otherwise bring one only for their aura ability for a stationary formation.

Would this apply to overwatch then? Would make sense, with the rules as written.

It feels a bit like the Grim Resolve of 7th in that sense, although I would've hoped for a Chapter Tactic that did not require us to sit still... but, then again, we have the RW and DW for mobility, which makes this USR ideal for our Greenwing. Makes them a lot more capable to spread out and hold down objectives and strategic positions.

I wouldn't say it saves you points, as you would still bring one for the mobile. It is just that the stationary elements do not need babysitting. I wonder if DA will get the Dreadnought Stratagem SM have. This makes it somewhat obsolete. Still, a powerful bonus for a gunline, if you're into that sort of thing. I know I am :P

@ValourousHeart

Sorry, but no - it doesn't make sense. Even if Ravenwing doesn't have the full knowledge they still encounter signs of the Fallen are vital to hunting them down. Scouts were never allowed even close to that knowledge and were still under the watchful eye of their commanders, listening to filtered legends.

Saying that they must be trained in bike warfare as scouts otherwise they won't be good later on is nonsense - should we start putting scouts into Nephilim Jetfighters or Terminator armor, otherwise they won't be good later on without early training ? No, there's a progression: first you become full fledged member of the Chapter, then you serve in the Chapter and if you catch the attention of the Inner Circle due to your dedication to the Chapter and skills (meaning that you can not only be trusted with the knowledge one day, you're also worth being induced into the company) and THEN you get to join Ravenwing. And now, rather than having some scout learn the ropes, Ravenwing members train tested and proven veterans on how to be the best bikers. That's why they're the best: they get all the bikes and the most experienced members rather than just giving bikes to everyone. How exactly the training goes is not told in the Codex, but if I were to venture a guess you start as a gunner in an attack bike or land speeder, learning by watching the driver/pilot and then eventually becoming one yourself. And the best then get to pilot the flyers.

I wouldn't say it saves you points, as you would still bring one for the mobile. It is just that the stationary elements do not need babysitting. I wonder if DA will get the Dreadnought Stratagem SM have. This makes it somewhat obsolete. Still, a powerful bonus for a gunline, if you're into that sort of thing. I know I am :P

No yeah, of course, mobile units will still need one, and ypu sill have to fill those HQ slots

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Ravenwing keyword or a strategem lets you ignore the movement/lack thereof part of Grim Resolve.

Likewise, I can see DW getting to ignore it if they arrive from Teleport or something.

Comparing Death Guard’s book to Chaos SM, there are a lot of ingredients that can be layered together for some powerful abilities. I think Grim Resolve is the broth of the soup, so to speak. Plenty of room for other good stuff in there.

Exactly! 10th Company train to use close combat weapons, bolt pistols, shotguns, bolters, sniper rifles, heavy bolters, and missile launchers. They also get training in the use of Bikes and Land Speeders. When that training is completed, and if they don't die, they learn how to wear their big boy armor and are then transferred to the Devastator companies, where they train in the use of all manner of heavy weapons. Once they are are done there, and if they haven't died, they move to the Assault companies where they learn the use of jump packs and certain special weapons. When that training is completed, and if they are still alive, they may be needed to fill open ranks among the Battle Companies, the backbone of the Chapter, and so may be transferred there to fulfill all manner of functions because they are now capable of doing so. Then, if the marine has not died after serving in the Battle Companies, and has shown the not-too-common characteristics of greatness that might elevate him to the ranks of the Ravenwing or Deathwing, he might be inducted into one of those august Companies (and from there who knows where to!)  Some marines jump that ladder of progression here and there (or are marked out for training as Apothecaries, Chaplains, or Librarian as their skills/character permits), but those are the exception and not the rule.

That is the NORMAL order of progression of training that the Dark Angels have been missing for multiple editions because some feeble minded servitor wannabe decided that Dark Angels already had enough special bikes and so didn't also need Scout Bikes in their list. Their removal certainly had nothing to do with any sensibility as to the progression of training a marine undergoes...

And so I cannot like your post, but I can recommend that you go buy some Dark Angels Scout Bikers, because they're back where they belong, baby! W00T!!! :biggrin.:

[Edit: Oh, and we also used to have GREENWING bikes as a normal part of our Assault Companies (like fully Codex Astartes adherent Chapters have always had). Just saying...:wink:]

Edited by shabbadoo