Defiler loadout

MoGuy

Hey guys. So with the Defiler dropping in point costs yet again I have ordered one to add to my army.

However, I don't quite understand how to play our giant enemy crab tank. The Defiler seems like a murder-machine in melee yet all of his weapons are heavy so once he moves, he will only hit on 5s. 

If I give him the TLC and Havoc Launcher he could make for an artillery platform and just stand still in the back. But then his nasty claw is wasted and a Predator or the Plagueburst Crawler can do the same job but better/cheaper. 

So another option would be to go all anti-infantry with a Combi-Flamer, Twin Heavy Flamer and Twin Heavy Bolter. He would still wreck vehicles in melee but his poor BS wouldn't be a problem since the Flamers hit automatically. 

How do you play our stompy crabmachine from hell? Do you burn 1 CP every turn for "Blasphemous Machines" so that Defi can ignore the to-hit penalty for moving and shooting heavy weapons? 

For the moment i made mine with heavy flamers, autocannon, combi flamers (all with magnets hence the "for the moment") and use him as a the big piece she is to deny deepstriking or rush at the enemy gunline with smoke. 

The goal is to soak up enemy charge or fire. 

I dont believe in Dakkapure defiler with a BS of 4+, predator are better if you want a tank to carry lascanon).

If the Defiler had a daemon machine spirit (would be fluff), it would serve better his roles of a rampaging machine with dakka and close. I still hope for it to happen in a FAQ/Chapter approuved. 

But for now i use flamers to counter the 4+ BS

Edited by DreamIsCollapsing

• 2 weeks later...

I've fielded mine with above mentioned all-flamer-loadout against the Astra Militarum. Rushed him up the board turn 1, popped smoke and cast Miasma on him. It has to be the huge model that imposes some kind of dread on the enemy, otherwise I can't really imagine why he is such a good bullet magnet. Even with Smoke and Miasma my opponent pumped a good amount of shots into him, even though Defi isn't really a powerhouse (statistically hitting with two attacks in melee isn't even enough to kill a Rhino in one go). 

Anyway, I am thinking about swapping the Combi-Flamer for a Combi-Melter. Defi just needs some help to soften up his vehicle-target before he stomps into melee since his CC attacks are just to unreliable to take down a tank alone. So suggested loadout:

Twin Heavy Flamer, Heavy Bolter/Reaper Autocannon, Combi-Melter, Battlecannon. It gives him good horde control with the THF and the Bolter/Autocannon and the BC and Combi-Melter help him to soften up the tank he's gonna charge.

I've fielded mine with above mentioned all-flamer-loadout against the Astra Militarum. Rushed him up the board turn 1, popped smoke and cast Miasma on him. It has to be the huge model that imposes some kind of dread on the enemy, otherwise I can't really imagine why he is such a good bullet magnet. Even with Smoke and Miasma my opponent pumped a good amount of shots into him, even though Defi isn't really a powerhouse (statistically hitting with two attacks in melee isn't even enough to kill a Rhino in one go). 

That is what's called a "Distraction Carnifex". ;)

It looks big and scary so the opponent thinks he has to kill it asap. Only works if it's decently durable as well tho so the opponent has a relatively hard time to get rid of it as well. ^^