Cultist model options

Shockmaster

I am looking to add some Cultists to my Death Guard/Nurgle army for extra variety, not sure about the GW models as worry they will blend in too well with the Poxwalkers in the same army.

I have been looking at a couple of options from Anvil Industry's Miniatures of the North range obviously the first option is more Nurgle looking 

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/image/cache/data/a-new/MOTN/Tox-troopers-3up-800x800.jpg

but I really like the second option too

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/image/cache/data/a-new/MOTN/crowmantians-800x800.jpg

just not sure if they would look Nurgle enough if painted up in dirty robes, any thoughts from my fellow Death Guard players?

Or if you have any other model range suggestions that would also be welcome thanks.

It's pricey, but I think the FW Renegades upgrade kit looks superb and their gasmasks match the Death Guard/Nurgle aesthetic nicely. Cost does add up if you want to keep 'em with Autoguns/Close Combat Weapons however. At least you can use 'em at official events.

Edited by Lord Marshal

It's pricey, but I think the FW Renegades upgrade kit looks superb and their gasmasks match the Death Guard/Nurgle aesthetic nicely. Cost does add up if you want to keep 'em with Autoguns/Close Combat Weapons however. At least you can use 'em at official events.

As nice as those are, I am not convinced they are that much nicer then the offerings by Anvil Industries to be worth paying three times as much for a squad and luckily official events is not a worry for me as I don't think I have played in a GW store in about ten years.

Thanks anyway though, as alternative suggestions are very much appreciated as it is hard to keep up with all the models available in modern times, I still keep finding surprises even on the GW site. :smile.:

Edited by Shockmaster

To be honest the first set look too well armoured for cultists - more armour than a guardsman, but I also don't like the guns on the second set (looks like a Thompson with a 2nd ed bolter mag). Do the second set come with the guns built in or are they an option?

I really like the Tox Troopers (those first ones) but from memory they're a bit smaller than GW sculpts and the weapons are just plain.

If you like the Kreig look but not the price tag, the more recent Anvil Industries Regiments stuff is really good.

I personally prefer FW Renegade Militia kits. While I was resigned to using the Cadian torsos and arms back when they were first released, these days you have more options such as Genestealer Cult bits, 3rd party like Anvil Industry, etc. Otherwise, you could also mix and match parts from the Poxwalkers with Genestealer Cult and come up with some interesting Cultists. I guess it all depends on how many you want to field to figure out if its' too cost prohibitive, but there's always bits dealers. 

To be honest the first set look too well armoured for cultists - more armour than a guardsman, but I also don't like the guns on the second set (looks like a Thompson with a 2nd ed bolter mag). Do the second set come with the guns built in or are they an option?

The armor shouldn't be too hard to explain. Despite Guardsmen being kinda chaff units they still use pretty high grade armor and weapons (a simple Lasgun would be pretty devastating irl) so these Cultist models could simply use a way inferior material etc. for their armor. Not all Cultists are lunatics who think they can run into battle without armor and be fine, some might actually think things through and at least try to protect themselves. :D

I have decided to keep things simple and go with the first option, I will save the second set of cultists for a more fitting project.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys, much appreciated.

Now I just have to decide which do I want first, a big unit of Cultists or save the money for the Blight Hauler pre order. 

I am going to be rearming (figuratively and literally) some Frostgrave cultists to portray my own Death Guard flunkies. They come with skeletonized bits too, so I can use those to spice up my zombies.
http://nstarmagazine.com/FROSTGRAVE_LICH_LORD_htm_files/9979.png

The armor shouldn't be too hard to explain. Despite Guardsmen being kinda chaff units they still use pretty high grade armor and weapons (a simple Lasgun would be pretty devastating irl) so these Cultist models could simply use a way inferior material etc. for their armor. Not all Cultists are lunatics who think they can run into battle without armor and be fine, some might actually think things through and at least try to protect themselves. :biggrin.:

It's Nurgle as well - the armour could simply be rusted through, weather the hell out of it!

One thing to beware, those first ones are a little on the small side. They aren't "Heroic" scale.

Good spot, a shame they don't have a comparison picture of the model next to the outlines of GW(and others) models like they do on the second option I posted.

Maybe I will hold off on buying these, save my December hobby cash for the Blight Haulers.

Edited by Shockmaster

The Reviews say people are using them as Skitarii, so you'll probably be fine. A bit of cork or something on the base and you're golden.

Normally I wouldn't care about cultists looking wimpy, since they are supposed to be weak and pathetic looking; but our own plague marines are pushing the limits of heroic scale as is. Together on the table top the cultists might seem very small indeed.

I'm waiting for a bits order to arrive in the mail, but I plan to use the normal cultists, but with the heads replaced with the skaven plague monk heads along with a few other small conversions (adding sores and pimples to any bare skin, etc.) I think they'll look suitably death guard-y. As for why they have ratty faces I guess they're mutants :)

I am going to be rearming (figuratively and literally) some Frostgrave cultists to portray my own Death Guard flunkies. They come with skeletonized bits too, so I can use those to spice up my zombies.

http://nstarmagazine.com/FROSTGRAVE_LICH_LORD_htm_files/9979.png

Which arms have you found that fit best with these? I got a box but not enough cultist autoguns to go around. There’s a bunch of good chaos bits in there too.