Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Essentials for a new starter?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Rockythedog

Rockythedog

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 24 posts
Hi all,

New to the forums, and new to 40k too.
Wife has got me First Strike for Christmas, and I have gotten myself a copy of imperium index 1. I have decided on space wolves for my army. Main question is, what else is essential now? Do I get the rule book? (I can’t afford the dark imperium boxset) or Just chapter approved, or both? Obviously the codex when it comes out next year but for now? I have some paints and brushes on order to get me started with the minis I’ll get in first strike, and am looking at the space wolves start collecting box. What else do I want to be looking at?

Cheers
  • Jolemai and LordVelype like this

WarriorFish

WarriorFish

++ PRÆFECT SOCIORUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 18,033 posts
  • Chapter Name: Hunter Legion

Welcome aboard Rocky :) If you're looking to game than the rulebook would be a good start, but I'd hold off for now until you have a few units ready for battle. The Start Collecting boxes are great to get going so would be a good idea to bolster your forces and keep your paint brush occupied. You'll be able to get more detailed advice in The Fang, such as good ways to build your models and tactics :tu:

gallery_30308_3239_193.pnggallery_30308_9518_1600.pnggallery_30308_3239_17729.pnggallery_30308_3239_4912.pngETL_Medal_04.gif
Painting Oaths Completed:
gallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_84.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gif
gallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gif
In the grim predictability of online 40k, there can be only Sun Tzu quotes

SM Cataphractii | IG Commissar | CSM Daemonettes | =][= Inquisitor | AM Knight | DE Sslyth

Rockythedog

Rockythedog

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 24 posts
Thanks Warrior, good words I appreciate them thankyou

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,877 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels

Welcome to the B&C, and don't forget to show off your models for advice!

• Rockythedog likes this

Rockythedog

Rockythedog

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 24 posts
Thanks. As soon as I get some painted I will

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,293 posts

Welcome to the forums! 

• Rockythedog likes this
gallery_60566_6038_10057.jpg
gallery_60566_6038_15153.png

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

battle captain corpus

battle captain corpus

++ CENTURIO COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,001 posts
  • Chapter Name: Valhallan 95th company

Welcome to the BnC comrade!

BCC

• Rockythedog likes this
"As inexorable as the winter cold, as ruthless as the bitter frost, as certain as death - the Valhallans fight only for victory and the Emperor. All else is a prelude." - Colonel Kasteen, 597th Company
Valhallan Ice Warriors Regiment

Rockythedog

Rockythedog

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 24 posts
Thank you cap’n

battle captain corpus

battle captain corpus

++ CENTURIO COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,001 posts
  • Chapter Name: Valhallan 95th company

That's Battle Captain, I work for a living comrade! ;) :D

Essentials wise I would suggest having a float around the forums and see where the land lies about what others find the best purchases etc to begin with. It also depends on which direction you want your hobby to go in, whether its gaming, painting or just plain old collecting! :)

You'll enjoy being part of the BnC, we're a very friendly bunch!

BCC

• Rockythedog likes this
"As inexorable as the winter cold, as ruthless as the bitter frost, as certain as death - the Valhallans fight only for victory and the Emperor. All else is a prelude." - Colonel Kasteen, 597th Company
Valhallan Ice Warriors Regiment

Rockythedog

Rockythedog

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 24 posts
My humble apologies Battle Captain 😀
Yes I have found everyone to be friendly and helpful.
Hobby wise, I want to do it all, collect paint and play. Have decided on space wolves, and the brother wolves in the chapter sub forum have been very helpful so far. Especially when it comes to the fluff and where to start reading for the back story.

Major_Gilbear

Major_Gilbear

++ ÆDIFICATOR BARBATOS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,000 posts

Hi and welcome to B&C (and to 40k!). smile.png

If you are very new to 40k, and are just starting out with a few models, I would suggest that the 40k Wiki is a great place to get (much) more info on the 40k background. This is also a much more economical starting point than buying lots of books, and should give you a good grounding in the game's background, which in turn may direct you towards the army/models that you like the look of.

Likewise, I would probably not worry about the Chapter Approved book for now - you already have the rules, the Index, and most people will be accommodating whilst your build up your force - there's very little that will seriously change anything at this stage anyway. You can also "borrow" the scenarios from a friend's rulebook when you play together. The FAQs are worth a look at though, and these are a free download (with the next one due on March next year). If you *really* think you need the contents of the Chapter approved for some reason, ask a friend or your local games store if you can have a look at theirs.

Next up is that you'll probably want to paint your models. Citadel paints are widely available, but are also some of the more expensive. Vallejo and P3 paints are easily as good, and are often rather more economical (cheaper and/or you get more paint in a pot). It almost seems silly to say this, buy you will very likely spend a fair amount on paints and hobby tools, so a bit of forethought here can save you quite a bit. There's also nothing to stop you mix-and-matching different brands of paints and tools to get what you like.

I've mentioned tools, so I'll touch briefly on these. The Citadel ones are fine, but expensive. I would suggest a good set of hobby knives with replaceable blades (Swann Morton, Maxx Tools, and Xacto all make good ones - but don't waste money on Chinese lookalike knockoffs), a half-round needle file, a flat needle file, a moudline remover (the Citadel one is actually pretty good if expensive) and a small hand-held pin vice drill. Some modelling putty is also useful for filling small gaps and adding details (Duro Kneadatite -AKA "Greenstuff"- is popular). A couple of cheap emery boards (like ladies use for their nails) are also quite handy.

Noting that you have settled on Space Wolves (and that you've found the SW subforums here), I would suggest that the Start Collecting sets are worth a look. They are great value, and even the plain Space Marine SC set can be mixed with the contents of the SW SC set to give you more variety. It's also worth looking around various online stores to see if any offer bundle deals. Element Games offer a Space Wolves bundle deal for example, and the various Space Marine bundles are easy to incorporate into a SW force as well.

Finally, you will probably want some terrain to play on. The set you have comes with a paper play mat and the boxes can used as terrain, which is a good start to learn the rules with. Personally, I would use a suitable drop-cloth (get a suitably-coloured fabric offcut from a local shop and use some acrylic paint and an old sponge to add interest to it) and some ruins made from sturdy card and gravel. This keeps things cheap and flexible for you, but there is also the option of something like Moon Base Klaisius if you prefer something ready-made out of the box.

Although many people overlook terrain when helping new players, it's actually a pretty crucial element of every wargame I've ever played in the last 30 years - not only does it help with immersion, but it's an important part of gameplay, balance, and scenarios too. I also particularly enjoy making it! biggrin.png

Anyway, I've rambled enough now. I hope that this gives you a good jumping-off point, but please don't hesitate to ask in the forums if you need anything further. cool.png

Edited by Major_Gilbear, 05 December 2017 - 09:07 AM.
Spelling

• Rockythedog likes this
My Dark Angels 5th Company Painting Log (NB: images are now all fixed!)

Rockythedog

Rockythedog

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 24 posts
Excellent advice and plenty to think about there Major thankyou.
Your right I hadn’t really thought about scenery yet, but I’ll definitly start putting aside scraps of card etc. Maybe get this kids involved in creating a battleground and ruins.
I’ll definitely look out for those tools, I have a lot of small tools already (I’m an engineer) but I think they may just be too big and not precise enough for mound lines and sprues

Major_Gilbear

Major_Gilbear

++ ÆDIFICATOR BARBATOS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,000 posts

Actually, one more thing that's just popped into my head: tutorials on YouTube.

Whilst I'm sure that many people will be quick to recommend a few, you should be able to find plenty on your own with some simple keyword searches. Tutorials for everything from painting basics, to modelling techniques, to making terrain are all available, and I would suggest watching a variety to get some ideas.

These are extremely helpful, as they actively show you things that are hard to explain in more conventional tutorials - how to hold the brush, how wet paint should be, how to get paint to stay where you want it, etc.

Games Workshop has a number of painting tutorials under their YouTube channel ("Warhammer TV"), but I still think it's worth searching for yourself and watching a good few before you begin. It's also worth mentioning that GW stores will help and show you how to paint with in-store materials if you ask, although I personally found the video tutorials easier to see and follow (and re-watch!).

My Dark Angels 5th Company Painting Log (NB: images are now all fixed!)

Rockythedog

Rockythedog

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 24 posts
Brilliant thankyou. Haven’t taken the proverbial plunge into paint yet, but I’ll definitely look for some tutorials

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,943 posts
  • Chapter Name: To be decided later

Most of the tips I had, have already been mentioned, but I have one more: Magnets.

Instead of just gluing the wargear to your models, attach the different options via neodymium magnets. That way you can get a lot more use out of your boxes of miniatures. You can tailor your army's equipment to the enemy you face. There should also be many helpful tutorials online describing this technique.

Oh and welcome to the B&C and the Space Puppies.

Rockythedog

Rockythedog

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 24 posts
Thanks Quixus. I have had a brief look at magnets, are they a big financial increase to the hobby? Or do they balance out in the long run?

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,943 posts

IMHO they more than balance out in the long run, but I have not made exact calculations. It kind of depends on the kit. For example with kits like the Inceptors you basically get the choice of two units (plasma and bolter inceptors) for the price of one kit and 18 magnets. Other kits suffer from the lack of weapons (i.e. devastator/long fang box) you still can't equip all models with the same weapon but this is not as important in 8th edition anymore and you can get the additional weapons from bits resellers or 3rd party manufacturers.

As for the investment I wouldn't call €6/100 expensive.

Another advantage is that painting one model and an additional set of arms and weapons is quicker than painting two models.

• Rockythedog likes this

Rockythedog

Rockythedog

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 24 posts
In that case I’ll definitely look into a kit

Edited by Rockythedog, 05 December 2017 - 03:51 PM.

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,943 posts

You might want to look around a a few tutorials first. The older kits are well suited for magnetizing at the shoulder, the newer ones probably are better magnetized at the wrists. For the former 3mm x 1mm is great for the wrists you may need 2mm x 1mm or maybe even smaller.

Rockythedog

Rockythedog

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 24 posts
I will. Lol there is so much to learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users