How many Transonic Arquebusses?

Stemplar

Hey Admechanii. I'm new to this army, and pretty new to 40k.

Question: I want to run a couple of 5 man ranger squads with two Transonic Arquebusses each. BUT the box only comes with one of those glorious weapons per 10 rangers.

So ... How do I get more?

While transonic Arq's are very cool, they are pretty pricey, I get around this by  buying the cheap start collecting sets from online sellers ( usually about £37.50  that way I get an Onager, (yummy)  ANOTHER  tech priest dominus  and the squad

From that  start collecting box I tend to build 5 Rangers  1 T Arq's  and one 1 Arc Rifle   and 5 Vanguard with the plasma caliver I then convert a second plasma caliver looking vanguard guy by using the spare pistol arm from the tech-priest dominus  ( usually the bigger  phosper serpanta and one of the unused pistol arms  from the Alpha ( you get 3) 

As soon as you buy two of the start collecting that gives you 1 static sniper squad of 5 with snipers  1 x 5 mobile skirmisher rangers with arc rifles and 2 units of 5  vangard . Sometimes you just want to take a cheap ranger squad as a screen to move forwards but not quite as aggressively as the Vanguard , and there are pretty dang cheap at 45 points  a squad ( no upgrades)

Or  you can try to sort something out with these, typically authentic T -Arqs are  a pricer from bits sellers

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/The-Armoury/Rifles-Shotguns-Pistols/M88-%22Negotiator%22

Any compatibility with SM Scout Sniper Rifle arms and Skitarii?  I've never seen it tried but it's a possibility.  Another idea is to use a mix of Tempestus Scion arms and Skitarii with a bit of brass tube (or maybe paperclip) to extend the barrels.  Dunno, just cogitating out loud at this point :P

Whoops ;-) sorry ... i knew it was a 5 drop for chapter approved .... bad brain moment ...

I dont see why you couldn't convert the  Anvil industries   " Negotiator Anti-Materiel Rifle"  I'd use the leaning down the rifle Skitari pose the correct larger base  and a rock  / stack of crates / rusty barrel for support ... or this guy for a lugging it around moving model 

4263f14f1631791e3df2dca18f02fa58--ranger
 or go totally custom ;-)

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/13/713534_sm-Conversion%2C%20Scratch%20Build%2C%20Skitarii%2C%20Transuranic%20Arqubus.JPG

Edited by synthaside

Pedant mode on guys, it's Transuranic, not Transonic.  

it suggests the rifle fires rounds that are made of material that's heavier than Uranium (e.g. Plutonium), which would be very dense and very radioactive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transuranium_element 

:whistling:  Pedant mode off.  Move along. Move along. 

As others suggested, bolstering with other troops was the route I went. Secutarii/Peltasts from Forgeworld would yield plenty of spare parts.

Myself, I have 2*5 Rangers with 2 TUA each for four TUA in total.

The other thirty skitarii needed for that are assembled into 3*10 Vanguard, one with three plasma calivers, one with three arc rifles, and one with all rad carbines. (I envisage them operating right alongside my three arc/arc breachers.)

In my mind, I could see myself adding another ten skitarii to allow a force of 4*5 Rangers, each with one TUA per squad, allowing a thinner spread of them to be dealt with.

In my 2K list i have 2x 5man ranger squads each with 2 TAs. so 4. In my opinion (except for the vindicare) its one of the best sniper options available to any army and can threaten vehicles too. Either field near Cawl as your firebase for rerolls, or in a Stygies army for -1 to hit.

I have a question regarding the TA but don't wanna start a new thread for it:

Do you think the TA is even worth employing? How many would you employ in a 2k points list?

I actually might be at the point where I don't take ANY Rangers or Vanguard and stick to specialized Detachments like Vanguard or Spearhead.

Even with Chapter Approved Rangers and Vanguard are too expensive for what they bring.

They should both be 6 points a model. 

Making 'more' isn't something I'm good at, however I would say using under 3 just doesn't seem to be worth it to me. I haven't had any real luck with them. They kind of remind me of that sniper assassin. I used to try him all the time... then I realized it's the temptation of what they are -capable- of that always drew me to them. 

Im not sure I totally agree with that, I wouldn't take 2, but any more than 4 works out just great ... In my big 4k game today ... A 2v2  teamed with an eldar player vs a pair of space marine players. (Primaris Dark angels and Vanilla Blood angels running assault cannon razorback spam , My TS Arq's were pretty devastating  4 shots with re rolls are much more likley to mess up that stupud darkshroud, than single shot lascannons.

The trap with the Arq is to fixate on killing characters with it ... yes, its nice that it "can" .. shoot at characters ... Mephiston went down to them after being softened up by some eldar rangers. Remember its an anti-material rifle ... with 60 range, If  I take them i run them as  2 squads of 5 and more or less drop them both on the neglected flank objective most of the time they either get focused ... awesome they have diverted forces to go kill a 95 point unit . if not ... well "  BANG ....CLUNK CLUNK  BANG

Well maybe they are viable in sets above 3, but playing a 2K game (solo) 1v1, I struggle with even 3. That's... 90 points? Ouch. That's getting up there. Granted I do use them against Tanks more than characters, and that is probably the reason they even stay in my list. I actually have been valuing Vanguard above Rangers in 8th, but I know I have an unorthodox playstyle with my Admech. If you can get mileage out of 4+ per list that's great. I already have issues with mobility/capturing objectives. I just can't seem to put more than a hundred points into them before I start wishing they were something else.

(I guess as a side note it's important to note we don't play really any scenario's where 'sit and shoot' can really win a game. We're either using ITC, or a slightly modified Maelstrom.)

In my 2K list i have 2x 5man ranger squads each with 2 TAs. so 4. In my opinion (except for the vindicare) its one of the best sniper options available to any army and can threaten vehicles too. Either field near Cawl as your firebase for rerolls, or in a Stygies army for -1 to hit.

This is my plan. 

Got a  getting started box off the parents for my birthday (to add to the 2 I already own), so adding a 3rd onager to my force and building 2x5 man rangers with 2TA each (just need to order one more arquebus online), who will camp homefield objectives/DS deny.

They might not be the greatest unit every game, but the potential is nice. These guys and some breachers to finish off units my onagers cant quite kill....or to try and gib some low wound support characters..i don't think its worth trying to kill off anything above 5-6 wounds with them (unless there's nothing else to shoot at) as you'll be there all game.

Oh, I don't get me wrong,  I massively prefer vanguard squads with plasma guns, but I just don't own enough to not take my rangers or have enough points to run my Brigade with my piles of breachers and destroyers.  I do feel they really should have gotten some form of scout move like sentinel's or psudo deep strike ala marine scouts, though .

I typically run  4 X 5 man squads of Vanguard with 2X5 man Rangers, we play everything in the rulebooks, we roll will roll Eternal war VS Maelstrom and then roll on that table, So I need to consider both camping objectives ... moving towards objectives and effective ranges. If you only play  some kind of  modified tournament  which includes objective cards being drawn each turn regardless of what objective points your holding   I would argue that you are playing a meta which favours mobility and flexibility massively, If I knew  I was definitely playing as such I think I'd be taking a very different list, from an all-rounder list.

If I 100% knew I was playing maelstrom I might be less likely to take a unit I want to sit on an objective all game or use something like an onager to do it, but I face combat armies who want to beat up my precious onagers ... instead, I see a good benefit in 1 or 2 babysitting units, either to hold a point to generate a card  and if that unit can at least fire 1 60" gun that's a lot better than having two plasmas stuck on an objective that's 36 odd inches away from anything it can shoot at.