Dealing with Primarchs

lash144

Hey there,

at the weekend I had my third game and a friend of mine wanted to test his 2k points tournament list.

He plays chaos soup and his list contained Magnus + Mortarion.

I really struggled with removing those two big boys. I made some mistakes positioning wise, so he could lock up multiple units in CC. But even with out I think I would have had problems.

So your what's your favorite way for removing those Bastards?

If you don't have any really good, does maybe AdMech have? (I could ally with them)

Just plain old Leman Russ Battle tanks are also really good. Basically you want high strength and damage weaponry, but AP doesn't matter so much.

So maybe even an Exterminator?

Both deamon primarchs are T7, so the strength 8 battle cannon should do more damage. Just spam a ton of anti-tank weapons spread out across your army so they can't get focused out. Lascannon and plasma gun in every infantry squads. Russes with battle cannons. Basilisks. Manticores. Plan to kill 1.5+ Mortarions per turn and you stand a good chance to kill at least one primarch quickly.

I should have mentioned that I am playing mechanised Tallarn, so Lascanons in squads won't work very well.

I will run the numbers on the different weapons tomorrow or so.

I am also considering in throwing in some AdMech, namely:

- Rangers with Sniper rifle (he also had a Changling which made his entire 40 brimstone screen -1 to hit...)

- Dunecrawler with Icarus Array or neutron laser (have to run the numbers as well)

I'm usually fairly relaxed about named characters, but Mortarion and Magnus in the same list stretches my suspension of disbelief.

Like I said he was testing the list for a tournament.

The list was IIRC:

- Magnus + Mortarion

- 40 brimstone for bubblewrap

- Changling to give them -1 to hit

- 3-4 squads obliterators

I'm usually fairly relaxed about named characters, but Mortarion and Magnus in the same list stretches my suspension of disbelief.

The list was IIRC:

- Magnus + Mortarion

-1 to hit doesn't work in inferno cannons :P burn him!

Here's a list that I've been toying around with. 

Supreme Command Detachment: 2 x Punisher Tank Commanders with 3HB's each; Company Commander with Bolt Pistol, Power Sword and Kurov's Aquilla; Shadowsword with two sponsons. 1 CP

Brigade Detachment: 3 x Company Commanders with Bolt Pistol and Power Sword; 3 x Platoon Commanders with Chainsword and Bolt Pistol; 6 x Infantry Squad with Chainsword, Bolt Pistol and Voxcaster; 3 x Hellhound with Inferno Cannon and HB; 3 x Basilisk with Earthshaker Cannon and HB. 9CP

121 Power Level    2000 Points

Valhallan Regimental Doctrine for both Detachments. Basilisks for range and indirect fire. Shadowsword to nuke Primarchs. Punishers and Hellhounds to delete Brimstones.  Troops for massed fire and bubblewrap.  Officers for orders, orders, orders for days.

The list was IIRC:

- Magnus + Mortarion

-1 to hit doesn't work in inferno cannons :tongue.: burn him!

Good idea: burn the heretic!

I don´t won´t to tailor my list, rather build my own list which I could use at some tournaments in the future.

So how is the Hellhound performing in general? (haven´t used him yet)

Hellhounds are sooo much fun, park in your opponents face and DARE him to destroy it, you can re-roll the exploads dice for fun :P 

If you have the points, add track guards. Nothing beats your opponents face when your 1 wound hellhound is still moving 12" and autohitting with its flamers, heavy flamer is a must! 

Do wonder if this has derailed the post though..............

However there is a use for them vs primarchs, if they are out in front, they may charge them and kill them in a turn = mortal wounds on the units within 6", or he ignores them and you roast something else with those lovely 3d6 (your taking the heavy flamer right?) autohits