Feedback to GW

Gentlemanloser

But I completely agree with everything that's been said in these forums. If I had to only chose 3 major things that I think need to be addressed they would be:

1. Ranged Special weapons

2. More diversity/internal balance of units

3. Command points

Also points costs! Lol. But if they can fix units appropriately and make them worth the current points costs it's a non issue then.

I pretty much agree with this.

For my 2 cents

Ranged Special Weapons

Psycannon/HvyPsycannon: current profiles with additional on a 6+ to hit AP becomes -3 (reminiscent of original Rending, and maybe add this to the AC profile as well), and on a 6+ to wound causes an additional mortal wound.

Psilencer/HvyPsilencer: current profile with addition of each 6+ to wound becoming a mortal wound, would need a points increase of maybe 2.

Incinerator: points drop of 4 (I think flamers across the board should get some kind of points drop)

HvyIncinerator: points drop of 20

Stratagems

The Aegis, Psybolt Ammunition, and Psychic Onslaught all reduce CP by 1

Do something about the Domina Liber Demonica, some good suggestions already here.

Definitely need some points adjustments on a number of units with Techmarine IMO being the worst offender, but quite a few others as well.

I would like to see a few other rule changes on individual Units (I like the idea of losing baby Smite on Characters, or at least HQs in particular), currently I see no reason to take Crowe, Draigo could use some kind of boost for his points, and I would like to see a FNP aura back on the Apothecaries (along with a small points increase). And while Hammerhand gives a great boost to a single unit's wounding potential in h2h, I feel we lack the ability to boost our ability to wound in general (such as the SM rerole 1s aura ability on whichever of their HQs that does it).

Finally I know our lack of access to Storm Shields and Cataphract (sp?) armour will not be easily overcome due to modelling issues which I see as the biggest impediment to ever allowing them as wargear for us.  However some kind of special rule that adds +1 to our invul save role against wounds from anything with the Daemon or Psyker (maybe even Chaos) keyword and a 6+ against save versus mortal wounds could be some kind of compromise.  Sure it does not help against LC spam on imperial armies, but it is kind of flavourfull, unique, potentially useful but not overly powerful.  Probably too much , but I just feel a little left behind in the special rules department for the price and eliteness of our force.

I'm sure that GK primaris will require GK upgrade pack. Or they will go even futher and make our own primaris with stormbolters and force weapons. This is the only reasons I see they didn't give Primaris to us (why not to sell more models to GK players too?).

Wait, is the dreadknight included in the updated list? That thing is utterly useless if the profile of heavy weapons doesn't change... and the fact that it loose effectiveness with wounds makes him an even worse choice compared to the GMNDK. Like seriously, what is the point of taking it?

NDK is beyond salvation. Even if GMNDK becomes twice of it cost, we will just stop taking it and bring more strikes and apothecaries. The only thing I could think of is 2+ WS and BS and point cost drop. It will make them at least playable. Otherwise, it is just cannot survive and do anything because it is instantly becomes a fire magnet. I wish, they just moved NDK to HQ, gave them +1 invuln and reroll of 1's instead of making another unit that is better at everything.

Edited by Corvus Fortis

Ok, here is the email I sent to gamefaqs@gwplc.com (I've tried to adjust points comparisons following Chapter Approved but may have missed some).

Hi,

Please can you consider some adjustments to the Grey Knights as they have already fallen well behind every other Codex released so far. May I suggest any/all of the below.

Points adjustments (before Wargear)

Grand Master – 140 (There is virtually no reason to take him over a Grand Master in Dreadknight Armour at his current cost, and he is 55 points more expensive than a Space Marine Terminator Captain but only gains 1 attack and a psychic power but has far less customisation options)

Brother Captain – 130 (In line with the above change)

Librarian – 125 (in line with the Space Marine Librarian in Terminator Armour which currently is 40 points cheaper than the Grey Knights version)

Techmarine – 70 (We currently pay an exorbitant increase over a Space Marine Techmarine for a single psychic power)

Strike/Purgation Squad – 18 ppm

Purifier Squad – 23 ppm (dependent on rule changes detailed below, if no change they should be the same price as Strikes/Purgators as they are not better, just different)

Terminator Squad – 38 ppm 

Daemonhammer – 10

Psilencer – 5 (PAGK), 10 (TDA) (based on current weapon stats & the fact PAGKs sacrifice NFW to take these)

Incinerator – 0 (PAGK), 5 (TDA) (based on current weapon stats & the fact PAGKs sacrifice NFW to take these)

Psycannon – 5 (PAGK), 10 (TDA) (based on current weapon stats & the fact PAGKs sacrifice NFW to take these)

Gatling Psilencer – 20 (based on current weapon stats)

Heavy Psycannon – 20 (based on current weapon stats)

Heavy Incinerator – 20 (based on current weapon stats)

Land Raider (all variants) – 200 (They are currently massively outclassed by the Stormraven which is tougher against everything except strength 7 & 8 due to the new wounding method and the fact it has -1 to hit and can't be assaulted by non-fly units most of the time, more manoueverable, better transport ability (12 plus Dreadnought versus 10, 12 or 16) and actually cost more points in most circumstances for less firepower)

Rules changes

Psychic Powers

Either allow GKs to cast each power at least twice or allow buffing powers to affect target plus an additional unit within 3”/6”

(For example, currently it’s inadvisable to use Gate of Infinity on your characters or their bodyguard squads as it can leave them needlessly exposed. A Grand Master teleporting AWAY from his Paladin retinue?)

Librarian knows 3 powers plus Smite, casts 2 powers, denies 2 powers

Grand Master knows 2 powers plus Smite, casts 2 powers, denies 1 power

Brother Captain knows 2 powers plus Smite, casts 1 power, denies 1 power

(This provides a bit more variation on the psychic strength of the more experienced of the Chapter.)

General Rules

Shrouding – Shooting at GKs (Infantry only) from 24”+ is at -1 (similar to Raven Guard/Alpha Legion, etc but not as strong) this will make them a bit more survivable but will only come into play against units the Grey Knights themselves can't hurt at the time as they would be out of range with their own weapons

Psybolt Ammo – Should be a wargear option, not a stratagem, but should ONLY affect Stormbolters on Infantry, this avoids making Hurricane Bolters/Assault Cannons too overpowering on vehicles but gives the core of the army some more bite

Dreadknight Armour ignores -1 to hit when moving (look at the support struts on the arms, there’s no way it should be affected by recoil)

Purifiers get 2 attacks base and increase Smite range to 5” (as they are now, they are completely useless as you will almost never be in range to use your Smite. Ever)

Psycannons & Incinerators (and Heavy versions) are -2 AP, Psycannons, Incinerators and Psilencers (including Heavy versions) do Mortal Wound on a to wound roll of 6+ against Daemons/Psykers, if these changes are made then points cost drop on Psycannons/Incinerators from current cost to 10/5 for PAGK, 15/10 for TDA, Heavy Versions are 25 points each

Make Terminators Ld 8 (this will make such a small difference in-game but it is infuriating from a fluff perspective. The Codex states that as soon as a Grey Knight completes his training, he is the equal of other Chapters’ most seasoned veterans but this is not reflected in our Terminators having the lowest Leadership of all other Terminators)

Thanks very much for reading,

Edited by Holier Than Thou

Ok, here is the email I sent to gamefaqs@gwplc.com (I've tried to adjust points comparisons following Chapter Approved but may have missed some).

Hi,

Please can you consider some adjustments to the Grey Knights as they have already fallen well behind every other Codex released so far. May I suggest any/all of the below.

Grand Master – 140 (There is virtually no reason to take him over a Grand Master in Dreadknight Armour at his current cost, and he is 55 points more expensive than a Space Marine Terminator Captain but only gains 1 attack and a psychic power but has far less customisation options)

Brother Captain – 130 (In line with the above change)

Librarian – 125 (in line with the Space Marine Librarian in Terminator Armour which currently is 40 points cheaper than the Grey Knights version)

Techmarine – 70 (We currently pay an exorbitant increase over a Space Marine Techmarine for a single psychic power)

Strike/Purgation Squad – 18 ppm

Purifier Squad – 23 ppm (dependent on rule changes detailed below, if no change they should be the same price as Strikes/Purgators as they are not better, just different)

Terminator Squad – 38 ppm 

Daemonhammer – 10

Psilencer – 5 (PAGK), 10 (TDA) (based on current weapon stats & the fact PAGKs sacrifice NFW to take these)

Incinerator – 0 (PAGK), 5 (TDA) (based on current weapon stats & the fact PAGKs sacrifice NFW to take these)

Psycannon – 5 (PAGK), 10 (TDA) (based on current weapon stats & the fact PAGKs sacrifice NFW to take these)

Gatling Psilencer – 20 (based on current weapon stats)

Land Raider (all variants) – 200 (They are currently massively outclassed by the Stormraven which is tougher against everything except strength 7 & 8 due to the new wounding method and the fact it has -1 to hit and can't be assaulted by non-fly units most of the time, more manoueverable, better transport ability (12 plus Dreadnought versus 10, 12 or 16) and actually cost more points in most circumstances for less firepower)

Rules changes

Psychic Powers

Either allow GKs to cast each power at least twice or allow buffing powers to affect target plus an additional unit within 3”/6”

(For example, currently it’s inadvisable to use Gate of Infinity on your characters or their bodyguard squads as it can leave them needlessly exposed. A Grand Master teleporting AWAY from his Paladin retinue?)

Librarian knows 3 powers plus Smite, casts 2 powers, denies 2 powers

Grand Master knows 2 powers plus Smite, casts 2 powers, denies 1 power

Brother Captain knows 2 powers plus Smite, casts 1 power, denies 1 power

(This provides a bit more variation on the psychic strength of the more experienced of the Chapter.)

General Rules

Shrouding – Shooting at GKs (Infantry only) from 24”+ is at -1 (similar to Raven Guard/Alpha Legion, etc but not as strong) this will make them a bit more survivable but will only come into play against units the Grey Knights themselves can't hurt at the time as they would be out of range with their own weapons

Psybolt Ammo – Should be a wargear option, not a stratagem, but should ONLY affect Stormbolters on Infantry, this avoids making Hurricane Bolters/Assault Cannons too overpowering on vehicles but gives the core of the army some more bite

Dreadknight Armour ignores -1 to hit when moving (look at the support struts on the arms, there’s no way it should be affected by recoil)

Purifiers get 2 attacks base and increase Smite range to 5” (as they are now, they are completely useless as you will almost never be in range to use your Smite. Ever)

Psycannons & Incinerators (and Heavy versions) are -2 AP, Psycannons, Incinerators and Psilencers (including Heavy versions) do Mortal Wound on a to wound roll of 6+ against Daemons/Psykers, if these changes are made then points cost drop on Psycannons/Incinerators from current cost to 10/5 for PAGK, 15/10 for TDA, Heavy Versions are 25 points each

Make Terminators Ld 8 (this will make such a small difference in-game but it is infuriating from a fluff perspective. The Codex states that as soon as a Grey Knight completes his training, he is the equal of other Chapters’ most seasoned veterans but this is not reflected in our Terminators having the lowest Leadership of all other Terminators)

Even just getting a handful of these changes would be massively helpful.

I like the Shrouding rule in particular because it could allow for different styles of play instead of only alpha striking.  We would get a nice boost in survivability outside of our effective range.

Holier,

Good for you. That's the only way changes are even going to be considered.... well that and the facebook. I know they do look at facebook comments, but I wore my welcome out there. :)

I love your list because it's extremely reasonable. I still think the 'special weapons' in the GK arsenal are extremely.... lackluster. Being able to boost them psychicly instead of Strategems would have been nice since we can only cast once per turn.

I'm very fond of the aura-buff ability for HQ's only. It's a great idea and you're right, it's a real problem to Gate and either your HQ goes on a lone wolf mission, or the Bodyguard decides to do their own thing. It's a very awkward mechanic.

I've been really compiling my own experiences using Smite and GK. It's very interesting and weird at the same time that in theory I could take two non-Grey Knight psykers of any description and those 2 psykers could possibly cast smite wounds in quantities that equate to 6 Grey Knight units..... and at a further range. This also means GK have a higher chance of perils.

I probably would have had GK Characters using regular smite, or something of that nature. Right now the mortal wound capabilities of other armies is really ramping up.

Holier,

Good for you. That's the only way changes are even going to be considered.... well that and the facebook. I know they do look at facebook comments, but I wore my welcome out there. :)

I love your list because it's extremely reasonable. I still think the 'special weapons' in the GK arsenal are extremely.... lackluster. Being able to boost them psychicly instead of Strategems would have been nice since we can only cast once per turn.

I'm very fond of the aura-buff ability for HQ's only. It's a great idea and you're right, it's a real problem to Gate and either your HQ goes on a lone wolf mission, or the Bodyguard decides to do their own thing. It's a very awkward mechanic.

I've been really compiling my own experiences using Smite and GK. It's very interesting and weird at the same time that in theory I could take two non-Grey Knight psykers of any description and those 2 psykers could possibly cast smite wounds in quantities that equate to 6 Grey Knight units..... and at a further range. This also means GK have a higher chance of perils.

I probably would have had GK Characters using regular smite, or something of that nature. Right now the mortal wound capabilities of other armies is really ramping up.

Thanks Prot. I've deliberately tried to suggest changes that would bring us closer to the current power levels without surpassing them and instantly becoming ridiculous. I think a lot of what I've suggested fits the fluff , buffs us a bit but avoids us turning into the new 'broken'.

I feel that GW has gone overboard with mortal wounds. It's quite prevalent in armies that have some psychic capabilities due to smite being the only spell you can spam, but in the later codices, they went too far. The silly amount in Death Guard's codex makes it very easy to circumvent any invulnerable saves with relative ease, where some armies (looking at those poor T'au) have no or very little mortal wound capabilities.

I really hope they tune it down so it makes doing mortal wounds feel special and not the way to play every army that has access.

Back to GK, I feel the feedback is on the right track. I haven't played a lot of games really, so it's difficult to add more that feels different.

I'd actually like NFW to be more...diverse though. At this point, we go Falchions on regular models and hammers on 2+ models with a lot of attacks, or bust. Halberds and swords currently offer very little to no benefit, which makes me sad. I love the look of halberds, they look a lot more menacing that the tiny Falchions and mixing it up would be great.

My main issue is how to make terminator armour more viable, or elite models in general, the problem is as everyone knows, the more elite you go, the better your armour gets, your wounds and attacks go up a little, and you lose fire power.

its painfully clear that more bodies with guns for the most part = better for 8th edition.

but some people don't want to a) buy and paint 150 models to get to 2k points b ) have to push them around the board for hours

judging by the Eldar codex, there is plenty of ways to make an elite army strong (evidenced by the merciless tabling I got by a not spammy army earlier this week) it just seems that GW have been very reluctant to push any marine based faction away from the "norm" too much.

we may well be approaching a divergence of that with the Blood Angels codex as it seems like there's so fairly radical stuff coming. yay

but back to Grey Knights.

how about Force Shielding applying to terminator armoured GK. 4+ invuln?

as mentioned above, Dreadknights need to ignore the -1 for moving or the weapons need to be changed to assault. when does a dreadknight ever stand still.

Smite is a joke, i'll leave it at that.

Special weapons are for the most part, terrible and badly thought out. Psilencer doesn't need D3 damage, most things that are affected by that weapon have 1 wound. psycannon needs to be -3 at least/perhaps ignore invulns too. Incinerator doesn't really need to change, but its just way too expensive.

Edited by swordofmandulis

What about an army wide rule for gk only detachments, prognosis: every time your opponent uses a strategem, on a 5+, the gk player may use a gk strategem with the same CP cost in the following turn for free.

I think it would be better as every time GKs use a stratagem, on a 5+ it's free. Easier to keep track of than rolling dice when your opponent does something and having to remember what you did and didn't roll when it get's round to your turn.

How about an army wide command point refund on any “ reroll” Strategem on a 3+. This way it’s accessible, but not automatic or abusable in match play.

The reason I thought of this is in competitive games I really don’t use our strategems. I can’t afford to lose dudes to perils, I can’t afford to lose characters ( which really are the glue of this army) to a lascannon.

Also it reminds me of brother captain Stern, and typically I use my rerolls in matters that you could argue for fluff’s sake are reminiscent of ‘ prescience’.

FYI on Termies again I don’t think any points adjustment fixes them. I just reported a game on the forum with my Thousand Sons where 5 are wiped in a turn from big choppas. ( even all is dust doesn’t have an effect).

It always bugged me that discounts were never given for special weapon guys who had to give their Force Weapons. I think that’s unique to GK. Funny how that carried with 7 th.

Edited by Prot

I feel like the heavy weapons are a gap in the design where they could really make some meaningful changes. It's immediately obvious that neither Psycannon or Psilencer are good at... really, anything, especially when our starting point is a Storm Bolter. To cut the story short if these troops are giving up a NFW and SB for a (short ranged) heavy weapon that weapon had better be good. We shouldn't be begging passing Space Marines to lend us whatever standard old Lascannon platforms to pick up the slack that the GK weapons are leaving.

I bring it up especially because nobody else has them and so this can be fixed with just a new statline for those weapons in an FAQ/CA/whatever.

Besides that I think others have gone over it pretty comprehensively. Not much to add.

I've found psilencer helps when you can't easily gap close to 12" from an enemy (either because they'll charge you or shoot you up too much). Purgators armed with 4 of them have worked well for me as a cleanup crew against chaff I can't get storm bolters in double tap range for. 

Psycannon is functionally useless at the moment, I agree. I'd probably just make it Damage 2 so it has a role. 

Given what happened with Chapter Approved, I doubt we will be getting another rework anytime soon.

At least we have a monobuild that sort of works. Lots of xenos armies don't even have a functioning monobuild to fall back on.

Only because they don't have a codex.

Hi to everyone. Taking as base the letter posted by Holier, the Italian community started to thinking about an e-mail to send to GW about our Codex problems. The following is the results of our little brainstorming. We are sending the e-mail. I hope that this could help all of us.

Hi,

After a deep evaluation the Italian GK Community would ask you to consider some adjustments to the Grey Knights as they have already fallen well behind every other Codex released so far. Here below you can find some suggestions:

Brother Captain – 130 (In line with the above change)

Chaplain - 124 (In line with the above change)

Paladin ancient  - 120 (In line with the above change)

Brotherhood ancient - 108 (In line with the above change)

Brotherhood Champion - 93 (In line with the above change)

Librarian – 137 (in line with the Space Marine Librarian in Terminator Armour which currently is 40 points cheaper than the Grey Knights version)

Techmarine – 70 (We currently pay an exorbitant increase over a Space Marine Techmarine for a single psychic power)

Strike Squad – 18 ppm

Purgation Squad -17 ppm (they have the same stat line of strike squad, but can't deep strike. Carrying ut to four special weapons doesn't worth, if the special weapons are so bad as they are now)

Purifier Squad – 19 ppm (without any change they are only overpriced no deep striking strike squad)

Interceptor Squad - 20 ppm (In line with the above change)

Terminator Squad – 36 ppm (you should consider that in 8th a 2+ armour save can't be considered as in previous edition. now every weapon with at least -1 AP can modify it. The cost of Terminator squad should reflect this change).

Nemesis Dreadknight - 110 (In line with the above change)

Daemonhammer – 10

Psilencer – 5 (PAGK), 10 (TDA) (based on current weapon stats & the fact PAGKs sacrifice NFW to take these)

Incinerator – 2 (PAGK), 5 (TDA) (based on current weapon stats & the fact PAGKs sacrifice NFW to take these)

Psycannon – 5 (PAGK), 10 (TDA) (based on current weapon stats & the fact PAGKs sacrifice NFW to take these)

Gatling Psilencer – 20 (based on current weapon stats)

Rules changes (non sono convinto che le prenderanno mai in considerazione ma alla fine tanto vale provare)

Lord Caldo Draigo: D10 - No point increase

Psychic Powers

All Character that is also an HQ choice can use the regular version of smite, in line with the army released after GK codex. 

Librarian knows 3 powers plus Smite, casts 3 powers, denies 3 powers. In this case his price should increase to 150.

Grand Master knows 2 powers plus Smite, casts 2 powers, denies 1 power. In this case his price should increase to 143.

Brother Captain knows 2 powers plus Smite, casts 1 power, denies 1 power. In this case his price should increase to 133.

General Rules

Lord Caldo Draigo: Master Tactician: If your army is Battle-forged, you receive an additional 2 Command Points if Lord Caldo Draigo is your Warlord.

Castellian Crowe: Gains the perfect warrior. He can use both stances together - No point increase

Brother captain gains Tactical precision rule - In this case his price should increase to 135.

Brotherhood Champion: he can take every weapon from Titan melee weapons list.

Librarian: 

Dreadknight Armour ignores -1 to hit when moving (look at the support struts on the arms, there’s no way it should be affected by recoil).  - No points increase 

Purifiers get 2 attacks base and increase Smite range to 6” (as they are now, they are completely useless as you will almost never be in range to use your Smite. Ever)  In this case their price should increase to 22 ppm.

Paladines get Command squad bodyguards special rule. - No points increase  

Psycannons, Incinerators and Psilencers (including Heavy versions) do Mortal Wound on a to wound roll of 6+ and Psycannon should have AP -3 as for Assault cannon, if these changes are made then points cost drop on Psycannons/Incinerators from current cost to 10 for PAGK and 15 for TDA. Point drop for Psylencer should be 7 for PAGK and 12 for TDA. Heavy Versions should be 25 points each

Make Terminators Ld 8 (this will make such a small difference in-game but it is infuriating from a fluff perspective. The Codex states that as soon as a Grey Knight completes his training, he is the equal of other Chapters’ most seasoned veterans but this is not reflected in our Terminators having the lowest Leadership of all other Terminators)

Moreover we need something that every time the opponent use a Command Point on a 5+ allow as to gain a Command Point. You should insert a new stratagem to allow us to launch a powers for the second time during the same turn and drop the price of psybolt ammunition and psychic onslaught to 1 CP. It could be useful if when the Teleportarium stratagem is used the unit subject of the stratagem is not considered in reserve. 

The Italian GK community

Talked to some old friends it looks like the update won't happen till the half year errata review. Last chance for something to be changed[i hope for you guys for good, and not bad] is when smite is going to be changed. It is an important part of 1ksons/GK game play, so maybe something will be adjusted.

Still mass letter is a good thing to do, it will show GW how many people are there that care for GK. It would be nice if we could have this stickied in Amicus, so people playing other factions could join in. Although that maybe a gainst thef orum rules.

Hi to everyone. Taking as base the letter posted by Holier, the Italian community started to thinking about an e-mail to send to GW about our Codex problems. The following is the results of our little brainstorming. We are sending the e-mail. I hope that this could help all of us.

I would suggest that many people should contact gw, not just one person on behalf of the Italian community. One email, no matter how well written and researched is too easily ignored.

I would suggest that many people should contact gw, not just one person on behalf of the Italian community. One email, no matter how well written and researched is too easily ignored.

Agreed. As long as we are all asking for roughly the same things, it will carry more weight coming from numerous voices.

Agreed. As long as we are all asking for roughly the same things, it will carry more weight coming from numerous voices.
yep, the message is in the italian community and everyone can send it to GW. I’m not the only one who sent it. ;) Edited by Danarc