Hi all!

This is my first post on the forum so sorry if I'm not doing everything right

A friend recently got me into 40k and I played a few matches with my other friends armies and, being a bit of a pyromaniac, found I played best with the blood angels, I love them! since then, I've been trying to start an army, although with very limited budget because....well... I'm a kid. I'm thinking of buying the starter set but might consider saving for larger, better value sets. Does anybody have any recommendations on sets (on a small budget) if so, can you give me the best equipment for the point value? provided I prefer to attack close range with long range support fire. Are there any rules regarding using space marine HQs. Also, any recommendations for a good support HQ? (not too concerned on budget for this).

Sorry for asking so much, I just want to start right as I've very little experience in army building.

Our new Codex is coming out in less than 2 weeks. While we have a few hints as to what will be in it, we do not know for sure what units will be good and what sort of army lists will be effective.

For this reason, it might be worth being patient until we see the new list.

The 'best equipment for points' is a bit of a misnomer as better weapons cost more points, so most weapons have identical 'value' as it were. You pay more for more range, shots, strength, ap etc. The best way to equip squads is to think about what you want them to do in game.

It also matters if you want to include primaris in the army, or go only primaris. They are cool, but less tactically flexible. As with every edition change, some models are safe and will always be useful.

As you like close up fighting

5 tactical marines, razorback, melta, combi melta, multi melta

10 marines, flamer, heavy flamer, combi flamer

Chaplain/captain.

This will always be a solid start to a BA army.

The 'best equipment for points' is a bit of a misnomer as better weapons cost more points, so most weapons have identical 'value' as it were. You pay more for more range, shots, strength, ap etc. The best way to equip squads is to think about what you want them to do in game.

It also matters if you want to include primaris in the army, or go only primaris. They are cool, but less tactically flexible. As with every edition change, some models are safe and will always be useful.

As you like close up fighting

5 tactical marines, razorback, melta, combi melta, multi melta

10 marines, flamer, heavy flamer, combi flamer

Chaplain/captain.

This will always be a solid start to a BA army.