Post Chapter Approved

Prot

I too have stopped giving my rangers and vanguard pistols  the rilfe is free and its pretty tidy , If I've got the points they will get taser goads, ive seen a magical double 6  from a goad wounding 6 times killing a space smurf Warlod .

I'm just annoyed I already have a handful painted with pistols.  They're just not worth the points anymore :(

I too have stopped giving my rangers and vanguard pistols  the rilfe is free and its pretty tidy , If I've got the points they will get taser goads, ive seen a magical double 6  from a goad wounding 6 times killing a space smurf Warlod .

I'm just annoyed I already have a handful painted with pistols.  They're just not worth the points anymore :sad.:

Rule of cool, CC weapon just looks better, especially with a pistol :cool.:

But I too never used one, does not make any sense to me. But since I think Yoda thinks about what he is doing I am curious the see the reason behind it :wink:

Oh I build them  with cc and pistol ... for looks but i dont think i've ever been in a situation where the pistol has been useful.

I Think they messed up arc entirely ...it needs to be -2 ap to do its " anti-vehicle role " or give them access to the gamma pistol which the datasmith carries ...   right now it's more of a fizzle than an Arc.

I'd actually take a strength 4 higher ap pistol over any of our choices once  your vangurd are in combat unless your fighting T5  wounding isnt much of an issue .

Edited by synthaside

I'm just annoyed I already have a handful painted with pistols.  They're just not worth the points anymore :sad.:

Rule of cool, CC weapon just looks better, especially with a pistol :cool.:

But I too never used one, does not make any sense to me. But since I think Yoda thinks about what he is doing I am curious the see the reason behind it :wink:

What if Arc was something like...

-1 to Wound and -1 Damage (Down to a minimum of 1) against non-vehicles.

And +1 to Hit +1 to Wound and its D6 damage against vehicles?

For me it is ok... guys, it is just 4 points for a S6 AP-1 Rapidfire weapon. It is very solid against everything up to T5 and 3+ save, and if it gets through an AV it can hurt a lot. Most vehicles just have a 3+ save, so with the Arc weapons only 50% of the wounds will be saved.

It is just not the no brainer AV killer it used to be in 7th...

We were talking about the Arc Pistol,  so Pistol 1 rather than rapid fire   ... Arc weapons are  "fine " they just aren't particularly good at what their niche roll
its supposed to be ...  maybe .... 1 damage -1 against infantry  d3 damage  d3 ap  Vs vehicles.

Representing the unpredictable nature of shooting whats supposed to a tesla gun. 

I use breachers as screener . Using arc for smaller targets transports etc. I love their durability and their weapons might not be so super but will do for 120 points. Need the screen. Wish destroyers where bs 3+ and breachers was 3+.

Hold on to your britches, Breachers are coming out.

With point adjustments I am now trying 5 of them! Looking forward to actually trying something new.

It's crazy how a moderate points adjustment can boost a flagging unit.  C: SM players are busting out the Inceptors/Aggressors now!  Here's hoping the Breachers actually get some legit table-time  :)

I for one am moderately annoyed that the 6 Destroyers I have are still semi-pants.  It seems like 50% of what I painted up a couple years back are now subpar.

I'm Almost certain no-ones going to flinch if you proxy them destroyers as breachers provided you weren't also running destroyers armed the same . 
It's literally the same unit with a different weapon loadout and torso adjustment, I  put them track plates on mine anyway rule of cool , I was worried that people would make a dal about me running,  Rustalkers as power sword infiltrators most people don't seem to give a hoot as they are obviously the same  model just with guns .

Im aware this probably wouldn't fly in tournament play but it is what it is .

Edited by synthaside

I just added up my list with the new points, I'm almost 100 points down from where I was. Crazy!

On the subject of Breachers - I've been using them with arc rifles because they look cool. They have been a surprisingly intimidating choice that I usually put on a flank or at the tip of an advance. They tend to die early but better them than something more expensive. When they get the chance to shoot they usually do ok. They are pretty handy against heavy infantry like Terminators and low wound count vehicles like dreadnoughts. I don't think they have yet survived to attack in melee in 8th, so I advise stick to the arc claws.

Hold on to your britches, Breachers are coming out.

With point adjustments I am now trying 5 of them! Looking forward to actually trying something new.

It's crazy how a moderate points adjustment can boost a flagging unit.  C: SM players are busting out the Inceptors/Aggressors now!  Here's hoping the Breachers actually get some legit table-time  :smile.:

I for one am moderately annoyed that the 6 Destroyers I have are still semi-pants.  It seems like 50% of what I painted up a couple years back are now subpar.

Aggressors were usable before the point drop they were just expensive and you needed to devote alot of points to protect them.  Interceptors are still questionable but plasma interceptors are worth testing now.  Boter interceptors have to compete with a much more efficient unit.  

With the talk of adding graxfax to lists to help deal with psychic issues has anyone considered adding a black Templar patrol of scouts to provide an army screen and shutdown psychic actions with their stratagem?

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious if anyone has any results to post with running Greyfax in their ad mech army, and how you did so. I just painted her up and I think she fills the main thing that ad mech lack for me from a coolness factor point of view (psychic powers)

She does seem to add a lot of what we need.  I think the psychic defense is worth the buy-in as well, though with Smite spam soon to take a hit (supposedly) she may not be as useful as before.

She does seem to add a lot of what we need.  I think the psychic defense is worth the buy-in as well, though with Smite spam soon to take a hit (supposedly) she may not be as useful as before.

I think being able to deny the two easier to cast Smite's makes her potentially even more valuable!

Plus she can get a cheeky smite of her own in as well.

I think being able to deny the two easier to cast Smite's makes her potentially even more valuable!

Plus she can get a cheeky smite of her own in as well.

In addition, she can snipe out Psyker characters with 3 damage per failed save (!).

Doesnt she have the inquisitorial mandate rule to let her ride in any transport she wants? IG chimera? Sisters of Silence Rhino? Custodes Land Raider?

yes, along with all Inquisitors.

With the changes, what are folks general thoughts of Skitari being used as Chaff units? Running perimeter duty on the flanks of forces. Are they cheap enough? I am currently gonna to think of trying to units of 4 Units of 8 Rangers with Arc Rifle and Taser Goads to run perimeter for my center. (HQ's are Techpriest Enginseers so nothing special).

Sure we got more viable solo ad mech lists now. And ranger can be of use even in bigger numbers now. I like and try solo ad mech as possible but I prefer my lists a bit more competitive. That said I d rather go with Astra militarum for tour games. Good troops los basilisks. Or when I test my lists or want a bit more fluff I usually end up with something like.

Troops graia usually

Vanguard 10 with taser on alpha maybe data tether depends. But I got balistarii close to buff leadership.

2*

Rangers as stock shooters or snipers with omnispex.

And breachers solo troop on stygies. Second line defence with -1 to hit and stratagem at the end of my turn for +1 invu/save +1 attack. I also try to have me warlord stygies a dominus to buff me outriders so you most likely play vs me with something like.

Stygies outrider.

1*dominus

1*3-6 breachers

2*1 lascbalistarii

1*4-6 Dragoons

1*7-10 staff priests

I love this stygies detachment and I play it constantly I even add up 2* neutronagers if I play with two detachments Mars stygies battalions and four Onagers. Getting 2 neutron in stygies and two icarus in Mars seems valid.

All depends on detachments. If you want to play more troops I'd go max two battalions. Won't take more for no reason. And personally I use one battalion + breachers something close to that !!. I believed mech to be more elitish vehicle army than rangers spam. Or at least more effective and competitive with out so many troops so many infiltrators etc.