Pre-Codex, how are poeple using TSons?

CornishMike

A brief history...

Long time BA player,  I rage quit mid 7th, and sold all of my stuff (I had about 15000pts of BA).

Cue return of 8th, I hear good things, borrow some models to playtest and find I like the balance.  I unearth a few tactical marine units in a box.  Next week, I open my Space Hulk box, expecting to find 10 terminators, and find about 2500 pts of BA. Score!

Girlfriend likes painting daemons, and had a few horror units, so I figure I'd give chaos a go...  Much prefer Tzeentch playstyle, so i decide to start converting my BA into Tzeentch.  I also changed my christmas wish list away from Guilliman, and instead am asking for Rubrics and a Prince.

So, here I am, building my first 2000pts lists.  My biggest issue? I can't use my biker units, or half my stuff, because TSons has a crazy limited army list in the index...

I'd like to convert my terminators into obliterators, i'd like to use my Bikers, and use my Captains as lords, but all of those are verboten it seems :(

What is everyone doing right now?  Are you all playing lists which are Rubric, Scarab, Tzaangor and Prince heavy?  Or are you creating a core Tzeentch army with the new codex, and then adding a second detachment for your Occult Termies?

If you're playing as non TSons, which Legion are you using?  I'm leaning towards Black if I am tactical marine heavy, and alpha the rest of the time...

I’m running a small Thousand Sons battalion detachment and a slightly larger Chaos battalion detachment. I’m not wed to any of the other legion traits - already have two alpha legion players in the group. My other chaos is DIY and I tried the Iron Warriors trait the past Sunday.

The base of my armies is usually :

- Thousand Sons Bataillon detachment : Ahriman, Sorcerer (not exalted), 5x Scarab Occults and depending on my list, 3 squads of Rubrics or 3 squads of Tzaangors / cultists.

AND either :

- CSM Bataillon detachement : Sorcerer, Sorcerer, 3 squads of Cultists

OR

- CSM Outrider detachment : Sorcerer, 3 Spawns (if I need to keep it cheap)

OR

- CSM Vanguard detachment : Sorcerer, 3 squads of Rubrics (if I want a Legion trait on my Rubrics)

Legion is either Iron Warriors (for the relic armor on my Daemon Prince) or Alpha Legion (self-explanatory).

Non-TS units : Obliterators, Forgefiend (for the Daemonforge Stratagem), Helbrute (for the legion trait).

Edited by Nym

the core of my list is almost always A battallion detachment bringing us to a solid 6 CP, and we build off that in bigger games. 

HQ - Ahirman

HQ - Daemon prince with duel talons

(Another exalted or sorcerer is another good slot in place of the DP but the re-rolls are great)

Troops - 10 man Rubric unit, 8 inferno bolters, 1 sorcerer stave/pistol, and 1 soul-reaper cannon

Troops - a 15-20 man Tzaangor unit, they help us deal with 2 big issues we have - Model count and Melee combat capability. (tzaangors are discount Assault marines)

Troops - The third slot will either be another Rubric unit or another tzaangor squad depending on how i feel for that game. Take your pick! 

This is pretty much always my core; I dont mix detachments so that when our codex is out im 100% locked to having a Thousand sons only detachment and unlocking all the benefits that will eventually bring.  

Mixing in daemons is fine and easy with the 8th detachment system.  A Chaos space marine detachment I will mix in to allow for access to the Chaos Strategems. Daemons I splash only occasionally.  

My list is a Battalion with-

AHRIMAN ON FOOT

EXALTED SORC on foot

x3 10 man Rubrics with Soulreaper

X2 10 man Tzaangor

X2 auto laz Predator

X2 Rhino (for tzaangors)

X2 Hellblades (FW) with hailstorm cannons

This has been working solid for me. SMITE SPAM is ok but not dependable. I hamstring myself by trying to remain fluffy too, so no demons or Princes. Magnus is just not cost effective. SORC spam is limited since we can't recycle powers.

As Yergerjo mentioned in his list, there are quite a few options from Forgeworld to expand on the limited Thousand Sons options. When we get our book, hopefully we will get a couple more unit entries to make a pure TS list a bit more varied.

I would highly recommend looking over the FW options, if cost is an issue there are quite a number of units that you can field using GW plastic kits with some create converting/painting without buying expensive FW models (contemptors, scorpius whirlwinds etc)