Index chaos units and daemonic support

Wolf Lord Loki

Hi guys.

Been thinking about the daemonic allies we can take from out codex and wondering what use are they?

I know we may have units that do a similar job or even do it better but i'll like to know what merits the daemonic has.

ROT FLIES for example: fast, can attack as both rider and mount, some plague swords. But not particularly hard hitting. TACTICAL USE: screen for units like blight drone/ daemon prince

Also dont we have some units only in the Index? I heard of a Paliquine of Nurgle, what is that and what does it do?

And is there anything else in the index that is nurgally that I dont know about?!?!

Well, the Nurgle Daemons consist of: (I am not sure if you have the DG Codex, so I will explain those)

- Great Unclean One

- Daemon Prince (The Death Guard one is way better for more utility, the Mortal one for Warp Time psychic power)

- Herald of Nurgle (Buffer and Caster)

- Epidemius (Unique Herald on Palanquin that has a very nice map wide buff depending on units killed but cannot cast)

- Plaguebearers (as in the Chaos Codex)

- Nurglings (as in DG Codex, infiltrators and cheap screen)

- Beasts of Nurgle (Support melee in small groups, Linebreakers in large numbers (only vs. light infantry) or Tank disablers solo, cheap and tough with ok but random damage)

- Plague Drones (fast, tough unit with good hitting power vs light armour, got way better in Codex DG)

- Furies of Nurgle (light flyers, I do not use those)

- Soulgrinder of Nurgle (roughly like the defiler, but you can summon them)

The most recent rules are in the Codex Death Guard, in January Codex Daemons should be available, so that would be your go to for daemons then. I do not know what Rot Flies are. (FW?) Do you mean Bloat-Drones, not Blight Drones? The only choice for Herald on Palanquin is Epidemius, but there are options for Chaos Lord or Sorceror on palanquin in the Index. The main advantage of daemons are A. a cheap troop choice that can create CP in their own Detachement, if you mix them up with your CSM you lose legion Traits. and B. they can be summoned on the field for VP grabbing, reaction to enemy movement and similar things.

Ive not made myself very clear have i? :-)

Right i have the DG codex so i know a bit about the daemons in there.

I was mostly considering a patrol detachment for fun and fluff.

Rot flies are those flies with the plague bearers riding them but that might not be the units name.

And yes i think i meant foeted bloat drones- the ones from dark imperium

So what does the paliquin actually do for the lord/ sorceror?

Ive not made myself very clear have i? :-)

Right i have the DG codex so i know a bit about the daemons in there.

I was mostly considering a patrol detachment for fun and fluff.

Rot flies are those flies with the plague bearers riding them but that might not be the units name.

And yes i think i meant foeted bloat drones- the ones from dark imperium

So what does the paliquin actually do for the lord/ sorceror?

Plague drones (your 'rot flies') are, unfortunately, kind of awful, but foetid drones, the bile-spewing daemon engines, are pretty dang good.

The palanquin makes a model a bit tougher, but thanks to some hilarious shenanigans by GW, means that a sorcerer of the Death Guard that uses the palanquin-equipped profile gets to make use of Dark Hereticus powers, which are in some demand in a Death Guard army (warptime, death hex, and prescience are all quite useful).

Daemons can make worthy allies- plaguebearers are decent, nurglings are great for zoning enemy alpha strikes, and heralds can heal daemonic Death Guard units with fleshy abundance.

Plague drones (your 'rot flies') are, unfortunately, kind of awful, but foetid drones, the bile-spewing daemon engines, are pretty dang good.

The palanquin makes a model a bit tougher, but thanks to some hilarious shenanigans by GW, means that a sorcerer of the Death Guard that uses the palanquin-equipped profile gets to make use of Dark Hereticus powers, which are in some demand in a Death Guard army (warptime, death hex, and prescience are all quite useful).

Daemons can make worthy allies- plaguebearers are decent, nurglings are great for zoning enemy alpha strikes, and heralds can heal daemonic Death Guard units with fleshy abundance.

So if ive got this straight it increases their toughness- is that deathguard toughness or astartes toughness?

Can i assume it also increases their movement?

I wish it increased the character's toughness. All it does is add a couple of wounds, really (and the aforementioned psychic power changes for the sorcerer).

If you want speed in your HQ, take a daemon prince.