Have my group failed to understand the shooting phase?

Styx666

It turns out that the two people who claims to know everything about 40k are rules-dyslectics...

Take a look at this picture. The wall is taller than the models so it covers LoS.

MzAG4EN.png

In earlier editions you stated that the guardians was shooting at the genestealers.

They could only see one of the genestealers. And if they hit and wound 3 shots. The genestealer player then had to allocate 1 wound to each model, even the ones behind the wall that the guardians couldn't see.

BUT, that was earlier editions.

Now in 8th. Have I understood things correctly with this statement:

The guardian player activates his models and says all of them are going to shoot at the genestealers.

They only have LoS to one of them.

They roll and get 3 wounds on them.

The genestealer player rolls the first save and fails.

The genestealer dies and the 2 remaining shots/wounds are lost because there was no line of sight to any other model in that unit.

???

New edition LOS of the models in the unit are less important, partly because of streamlining, partly because of wound allocation

The way you have it written is actually the other way around. In 7th you'd lose wounds if you could no longer see models, in 8th thats not the case.

ie.

If you can see 1 model of a 10 man unit you can shoot at that unit. If you generate 1 or 10 wounds these will apply to any models in that unit, regardless if can or can't see.

Thats how I've been told as well.
But then I read this:

"Fast Dice Rolling
The rules for resolving
attacks have been written
assuming you will make
them one at a time."

So, the first Guardian roll, hit and wounds. The genestealer player allocates the wound on the model to the far left. Rolls save, fails, and the genestealer dies.
Now the rest of the guardian squad does not have LoS to any more models. So their shots are wasted?

Thats how I've been told as well.

But then I read this:

"Fast Dice Rolling
The rules for resolving
attacks have been written
assuming you will make
them one at a time."

So, the first Guardian roll, hit and wounds. The genestealer player allocates the wound on the model to the far left. Rolls save, fails, and the genestealer dies.

Now the rest of the guardian squad does not have LoS to any more models. So their shots are wasted?

No, you only check LOS during Step 2 choose targets and the check is done on a by unit basis. Additionally the opposing player needn't allocate the wounds to the visible genestealer. He can just as well remove one of the invisible ones.

From the free online rules under wound allocation:

3. Allocate Wound: If an attack successfully wounds the target, the player commanding the target unit allocates the wound to any model in the unit (the chosen model does not have to be within range or visible to the attacking unit). If a model in the target unit has already lost any wounds, the damage must be allocated to that model.

As Quixus says LOS only applies when initially targeting.