-1 to hit with alpha legion / raven guard

Madmonkeyman

you check from one model in the unit

You roll each shot separately and check the range for each weapon you intend to fire. The single range check in step 2 is to decide if your preferred target is even a valid option to declare against, it's not a single range check for the unit.

If some models are outside of 12" range they suffer -1 to hit.

you check from one model in the unit

You roll each shot separately and check the range for each weapon you intend to fire. The single range check in step 2 is to decide if your preferred target is even a valid option to declare against, it's not a single range check for the unit.

If some models are outside of 12" range they suffer -1 to hit.

I don't think that is correct. If I have 10 shooting models in range on only one enemy model in a unit of several models I am in range and can roll to hit an roll to wound. (why is there suddenly a requirement to roll each shot one at a time. If I am in range on one model in the unit I am in range of the unit?) It's then up to the opposing play to make saves as they see fit.  Why would I split my to hit rolls if some of them models in that unit are further than 12" away. I only need range to one model when shooting. Why is there a difference?

Edited by Warhead01

Was trying to see if one model of the firing unit needed to be within 12 or all the models firing. I.e. 5 bolters . Only one is within 12 inch of the alpha legion cultists with -1 to hit. So would one hit at normal bs and the rest hit at -1.

Totally agree that the firing models only need to be in range of one model

Was trying to see if one model of the firing unit needed to be within 12 or all the models firing. I.e. 5 bolters . Only one is within 12 inch of the alpha legion cultists with -1 to hit. So would one hit at normal bs and the rest hit at -1.

Totally agree that the firing models only need to be in range of one model

I misunderstood . I thought it was a whole shooting unit with in 12" of a single model in a unit with that -1 ability. TheWolflord has it right in that instance.