Death Guard and daemons

Plague _Lord

CP's are definitely always an issue for most PA armies, but the mileage out of those 2 CP could be amazing. I expect to see some alpha lists with Bloat Drones, Mortarion, Blight Haulers (3 model squads), Daemon Princes, etc.

I can see some heavy hitting lists blowing most of their CP's before the game starts.

Maybe. Alpha works the best when you can be in range to shoot or reliably charge. Really only haulers are a unit that you'd take for a genuine alpha strike, especially since theyre annoying to fight in combat. Everything else has shooting that's bad or out of range and a 28% to make the charge is not very good as a reliable strategy

Mortarion you'd teleport simply because he's a fire magnet and having a 28% to charge turn one and not being shot is incredible.

The nurgle stuffs been covered quite nicely in advance of The codex coming out

What are peoples thoughts

Mass summonings? Allied detachments? Little bit of both?

Would summoned daemons be able to make advantage of faction focus?

What would you summon? Plaguebearers? Great unclean one? Plague drones?

Three units of 3 plauge drones with a nurgle DP make it into an outrider in almost any DG list. Fast, deadly, ties up units until my poxwalkers arrive. Now I can deepstrike the whole detachment if I need to.

I plan to use the Outrider detachment but for a Flying Daemon Prince with the Suppurating Plate Relic plus the Plague Wing Psychic power backed up by two Bloat Drones with Plague Spitters & one with a Fleshmower as my plan to make my opponents horde units scared. 

Edited by Shockmaster

But plague drones aren't deadly at all. They hit on 4s, so you only hit with half of the fly attacks, but the strength and Armour piercing is terrible so you really need to luck out to get that 2 damage through. And that's almost 500 points just in anti chaf infantry for 1cp. Even with the locus, you need to wound and get through armour. On average you squeeze through one wound against t5-7 3+ per unit...

Herald and nurglings was by far the better detachment because it was cheap and helped with alpha strike denial.

@loki summoned stuff is factionless, so youd need a detachment if you wanted the stratagems. The deepstrike alone is enough to take it if you have some big Daemonic keywords in your DG and there's some other silliness like the bell on the guo resing haulers on a 4+

In what way prot? To unlock some DG strats/warlord with daemons? Because he cant unlock the Daemon stuff as he's missing it from his faction keyword.

I was asking if using Mort as his own detachment would unlock Daemon codex strategems?

SkimaskMohawk is right unfortunately. All non-Codex Daemon daemon units have the Daemon keyword as regular keyword instead of faction keyword. You need it as faction keyword to make it a Daemon detachment. Holy hell that was a lot of "daemon" in a short sentence...

Before you deploy, what goes into the Faction Keywords (as opposed to just Keywords) counts for what kind of Detachment you can have with it.

After you deploy, then Faction and non-Faction Keywords are functionally the same for the use

of Strategems, etc.

Btw, the Bell GUO and the Horn artifact from the new codex allow you to add Plaguebearers whenever you kill nearby, so it’s similar to Pox. PBs do have their 5++ and -1 to hit on top of their DR, so they may be slightly hardier.

None of them are limited to units from the codex, the only restrictions are DaemonVehicle and Monster depending on the powers (and of course God specific). We don't know the wording for the bell, but so far only the trees don't benefit Monsters and Vehicles; the bell probably won't have the restriction as they're the only Daemon-Vehicle-Unit. Will update after I can download the new book.

EDIT: Totally doable, only Nurgle Daemons as a restriction. Rotigus has a 7" 2d6 S-User AP-3 re-roll wound flamer too. Nasty.

EDIT 2: Oh snap guys, 2CP strat to heal a Nurgle Daemon unit for D3. Another source of heals for morty aside from Fleshy Abundance  

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

• 2 weeks later...

So with an FAQ released today the much anticipated "Summon Mortarion for 2CP" stratagem has been made invalid.

FAQs
Q: When a Stratagem from Codex: Chaos Daemons
uses the Daemon keyword, can it be used to affect any unit
with the Daemon keyword, or only units with the Daemon
Faction keyword?
A: These Stratagems can only affect units with the
Daemon Faction keyword.

In addition to this, a lot of units that had DAEMON in the faction keywords, have now moved it to the lower line of keywords to prevent abuse.

I really dislike how heavy handed that nerf is. Deepstriking super heavies is dumb I agree, regardless of guilliman being way more survivable with no cp spent.

But all strats needing the Daemon faction if it calls for a Daemon target? There's only warp surge on mortarion and possibly the heal, the rest that could actually be applied to csm Daemon units are really niche and situational.

We can't get situational strats but custodes are about to be able to give mass 5++ without even being in a dedicated detachment...