Death Guard and daemons

Plague _Lord

IMO, deep striking Lords of War was a bit gamey, although against certain armies I wouldn't mind. However, removing the "Daemon" faction from Daemon Engines was stupid... they should be able to be taken in a Daemon Army and would offer some cool crossover.

How exactly was that gamey? They are daemons. They live in the warp. They rip through it to get into the world. Why should they be able to do it less than any other daemon?

How exactly was that gamey? They are daemons. They live in the warp. They rip through it to get into the world. Why should they be able to do it less than any other daemon?

Cos i know at least one person that would have deep striked a Lord of Skulls as close as it can get every single game

Edited by Wolf Lord Loki

Cos i know at least one person that would have deep striked a Lord of Skulls as close as it can get every single game

So? Just because it's strong it doesn't mean it's gamey. I also know people who play a pumped up BA Captain every game to just wreck anything big they come across, people who play Guilliman or Cawl every single game and so on.

If deep striking LOWs were such a problem (to be fair like Sfpanzer said it's hardly any more games compared to the crazy stuff other Imperials have) then thhey could easily of added "no LOWs can use this" and it would of been fine. I was actually looking forward to this as certain units which are practically useless in my DG army like possessed actual were going to be far more better being able to use strategems or rules from the Daemon Codex which actually make the unit better, but sure Chaos players need this nerf since they are so OP and threatened Imperial players who have far more abused and cheesy rules :cuss

On the other hand I've to admit that it was dumb by GW to give CSM/DG daemon units the daemon keyword to begin with. It should've been a different keyword instead. AM don't have units with the Adeptus Astartes keyword either etc.

I really doubt it's about balance here. It's most likely that GW realized they screwed up with the daemon keyword and went for a quick fix regardless of the balance.

If they would do it properly they would remove the daemon faction keyword from all non-Codex daemon units and give every daemon unit a different sounding keyword (daemonic/neverborn/whatever).

That way they could still let auras, stratagems etc. target daemons (which would be neverborn then for example) while still having things affecting only Daemons if it's supposed to work only on Codex Daemon units. Without having to have this weird case of "faction keywords are the same as regular keywords except for Daemons".

Idk. Maybe its just me, but I feel like they still just don't know their own rules. Like keywords is the core of 8th, and the first rule of keywords in-battle is that all keywords are the same; faction has no other effect except to build detachments and battleforge.

Even the wording of the faq is absurd. "What keyword do I use for stratagems" ? All of them, theres no difference. How was that even a question, let alone a frequently asked one. Why not just errata the keyword?

Because it was kneejerk and they don't actually understand the rules. This wasn't even a weird interaction via soup; the most popular and impressive Daemon models in 8th are the primarchs. They're literally on of the first things to spring to mind.

Idk. Maybe its just me, but I feel like they still just don't know their own rules. Like keywords is the core of 8th, and the first rule of keywords in-battle is that all keywords are the same; faction has no other effect except to build detachments and battleforge.

Even the wording of the faq is absurd. "What keyword do I use for stratagems" ? All of them, theres no difference. How was that even a question, let alone a frequently asked one. Why not just errata the keyword?

Because it was kneejerk and they don't actually understand the rules. This wasn't even a weird interaction via soup; the most popular and impressive Daemon models in 8th are the primarchs. They're literally on of the first things to spring to mind.

you make a very good point, who even asked that question in the first place?

And it all bothers me because it's a backpedaling, considering that before the codex dropped GW social media suggested using the deep strike stratagem on non codex daemon units

Edited by TURBULENCE

So can I now include Plague bearers and plague drones in  my death guard detachment without losing the dg faction traits?

You will still need to have them in a separate detachment or summon them to keep your DG traits for the rest of your army.

Because the Plaguebearers and Plaguedrones do not have the DG keyword.