Including Chapter Approved in List Building

Prot

I don't want to play lots of daemons but it's looking like I may have to. I don't own the Changeling but I'm starting to think at the least I need to get some horrors/daemons and Changeling into the mix.(I guess Ahriman would benefit.)

Just summon squads of pink horrors, since blue/brim doesn't count when summoning you get them out easy and with blue/brim they need to wipe the unit out three times before it's gone...

I don't want to play lots of daemons but it's looking like I may have to. I don't own the Changeling but I'm starting to think at the least I need to get some horrors/daemons and Changeling into the mix.(I guess Ahriman would benefit.)

Just summon squads of pink horrors, since blue/brim doesn't count when summoning you get them out easy and with blue/brim they need to wipe the unit out three times before it's gone...

I'm not sure I understand... if I summon Pink Horrors, and then split them to blue, then brim, that means I pay for them all correct? (Sorry I really don't use daemons in 8th)... and if I recall that means the summoned models aren't actually in my detachment, thus keeping it pure Thousand Sons?

You do pay reinforcement points for any summoned daemons, and they are not considered part of any detachment so by summoning them in you wouldn't be breaking your <Thousand Sons> army. Not sure about the advice on summoning pinks though because pretty much any horror that isn't a brimstone is wasted points.

The thing I'm trying to say is that you can summon once, and the power level of the base unit doesn't include any split blues/brims making it easier to summon, and since the split happens after the shooting, the opponent can't wipe the unit in one volley. They need to kill the unit three times.

Yea that’s my understanding.

To date I’ve been using the squads of Brimstones 9 large with a single Pink so I don’t blow a Brimstone on a Smite. Is that how everyone else is doing it?

I can proxy a Changeling but is it worth it? I could include a cheap patrol.

I find blues to be rather effective for the "schrodinger horrors" effect.

If I've got three squads of ten blues camping objectives and 30 points reserved for brimes, the ten brimes are effectively on all three objectives at once until I take casualties.

It's outright infuriating to try dealing with the fact I can choose where my dudes are after the enemy decides where he is pushing.

I usually put only a handful of blues in each team though. They are still pricy in comparison.

I like that idea. BTW a blue won’t explode from a smite cast right?

I can see pre paying for brims could be pretty annoying.

I’m still trying to come up with the equalizer. I really wish we had a unit like Obliterators! Can’t believe I’m saying that. But a deep strike truly shooty unit would be great in Thousand Sons. The predators have been okay. And I can’t seem to find room for the soul burner decimator for his points.

No only Brimestone Horror blow up from Smite. Since you get full points for 10+ Pink Horrors, i dont see a reason to not go with just Blue and Brimestone Horrors.

You could ally in Alpha Legion Tzeentch Obliterators with the Changeling for a -2 to hit.

What summoning the big flamers of Tzeentch they have an 18" lascannon i think?

Man we really need a codex.

Speaking of Codex, BoLS just made a post recently about an analysis of CA and found that there is a strong likelihood that there are 3 more codexes after Daemons that won't be TSons, let alone what's after that. Seeming as though it'll be TSons and Space Wolves last to the party.

Their argument is based around factions that didn't receive any points changes... and unless you count the stuff in the Chaos Space Marines list, Thousand Sons are one of those factions. The only datasheet that was listed in Chapter Approved is the Exalted Sorcerer, who's points are identical to the changes made in the FAQ.

Their argument is based around factions that didn't receive any points changes... and unless you count the stuff in the Chaos Space Marines list, Thousand Sons are one of those factions. The only datasheet that was listed in Chapter Approved is the Exalted Sorcerer, who's points are identical to the changes made in the FAQ.

I agree with this; we basically didn't receive any real changes. Minus weapon changes which were faction-wide. 

We really didnt get any changes expect for what was already FAQ'd. My first thought was does GW really think they hit the bail on the head with this one, like there is almost no reason to take a soulreaper cannon in Scarab Occult terminators, soes that not deserve some change? and i had a second worse thought. Will less popular/niche armies get less attention since they are bot part of lists that make their way to tournaments and there for dont garner the same attention from the community. Edited by Raven1

As long as we get a bit more love than GK's I think we'll be okay. I had hoped our army would have wound manipulation (ie. -1 to wound Rubrics as they're simply a shell for All is Dust) and hopefully we'll see some kind of special rules for inferno rounds (ie. +1 to wound?). That, plus some Strategems would be pretty solid.

I can't even guess anymore as BA got wound manipulation already and I thought that was going to be ours for sure.

CA probably didn't address much of our units as the real points changes will come with our codex. Would be cool if we got some new buffing characters as elite choices. Dark Angels got their Talon Master (dude in a land speeder) so even if we don't get any new models it is definitely possible that we will get new units/characters.

I think we will get most of the general CSM stratagems like VotlW, Killshot etc and some generic ones like "1CP, Character may cast one additional psychic power this turn" etc. Since we are THE psyker army I think our stratagems will revolve a lot around psychics. Our legion trait will probably limit losses from morale + some nice additions like re-rolls 1s to hit if near a character (representing the Rubricae being controlled by the magi).

I suspect we’re “the psychic army” unless you count Eldar and Grey Knights. I’m not exp much cool stuff in the inevitable codex as their seems to be nobody in the studio that plays Thousand Sons. I think that’s they key to getting a good codex. Look at Space Marines and Eldar since forever.

On topic, I believe the biggest changes In CA for the Sons lie in point changes for forge world models, specifically the Sicaran and Fire Raptor.

I actually like the current “All is Dust” rule. It only took 4 games before my opponents realized they need to take d2 weapons, especially in the fight phase.

In The meantime, it’d be cool to see some more Sons vehicle markings as Inferno seemed pretty sparse in that regard. I’ve got a few more models to paint while waiting for some new rules. :)

We really didnt get any changes expect for what was already FAQ'd. My first thought was does GW really think they hit the bail on the head with this one, like there is almost no reason to take a soulreaper cannon in Scarab Occult terminators, soes that not deserve some change? and i had a second worse thought. Will less popular/niche armies get less attention since they are bot part of lists that make their way to tournaments and there for dont garner the same attention from the community.

I disagree on the scarab soulreaper.

Assuming you use the CSM points for soulreapers, over the inferno combi-bolter its a 12 point upgrade so you can have full 4 shots at full range, +1S and-1AP. I'd say its a solid pick for them. (used to be a 17 point upgrade)

Its not AS good as it is on rubrics (14 points to upgrade a regular inferno bolter), but its still good, and the platfom is arguable better

Costs less than throwing an extra rubric somewhere, and does more to increase your damage output than putting said rubric would-overall its a good thing.

As for the codex.

Rumor has it was supposed to be one of the initial 10, but got pushed back due to some sort of issue.

Now, that tells me one of several options of whats going on:

1-a new model had a production problem.

2-the rumored psyker changes in march are too important to us to have the codex before them. (but not to GK and daemons? fishy.)

3-they decided to rewrite the codex for some reason, possibly because they realized it lacked depth and people won't accept 7th depth Tsons compared to 8th depth DG.

Honestly, either potion is good for us. maybe a bigger wait, but a bigger payoff.

Naturally, there is option 4-it was never intended to be in the first 10, as its a bland and uninteresting codex. that WOULD suck.

Onto other fields.

Icon of flame. 5 points.

Still not worth it, or at mere 5 its worth considering?

Edited by BoomWolf

Onto other fields.

Icon of flame. 5 points.

Still not worth it. The "only works on a 6" part is not so bad as the range. For it to be worth its cost it should be 18 or 24".

Well, fortunately traits are supposed to be picked before deployment, but after the game "started"

so you can see what  kind of list the enemy has, and only if he actually features psykers bother going with the trait.

Its still a poor trait though, given that its highly situational and don't even work against some armies. its a good trait to have in a toolbox, but a horrible trait to have as your only one.

We really didnt get any changes expect for what was already FAQ'd. My first thought was does GW really think they hit the bail on the head with this one, like there is almost no reason to take a soulreaper cannon in Scarab Occult terminators, soes that not deserve some change? and i had a second worse thought. Will less popular/niche armies get less attention since they are bot part of lists that make their way to tournaments and there for dont garner the same attention from the community.

I disagree on the scarab soulreaper.

Assuming you use the CSM points for soulreapers, over the inferno combi-bolter its a 12 point upgrade so you can have full 4 shots at full range, +1S and-1AP. I'd say its a solid pick for them. (used to be a 17 point upgrade)

Its not AS good as it is on rubrics (14 points to upgrade a regular inferno bolter), but its still good, and the platfom is arguable better

Costs less than throwing an extra rubric somewhere, and does more to increase your damage output than putting said rubric would-overall its a good thing.

As for the codex.

Rumor has it was supposed to be one of the initial 10, but got pushed back due to some sort of issue.

Now, that tells me one of several options of whats going on:

1-a new model had a production problem.

2-the rumored psyker changes in march are too important to us to have the codex before them. (but not to GK and daemons? fishy.)

3-they decided to rewrite the codex for some reason, possibly because they realized it lacked depth and people won't accept 7th depth Tsons compared to 8th depth DG.

Honestly, either potion is good for us. maybe a bigger wait, but a bigger payoff.

Naturally, there is option 4-it was never intended to be in the first 10, as its a bland and uninteresting codex. that WOULD suck.

Onto other fields.

Icon of flame. 5 points.

I think the problem with the soulreaper cannon is that its only good at the same targets as the regular inferno bolters.
I mean do we really need more infantry killing weapons? If you already have rubric marines as troops and a scarab occult units as elite units do you really need to equip them with soulreaper cannons? Our s4 AP-2 bolters are already good at killing infantry. Do we need more low str/high AP shots? More is always better of course but it's not what we lack overall.

Our problem is T5+ stuff. We have no other weapon options other than the Soulreaper cannon. But a str5 1 dmg profile is too weak against T5+ stuff. And diet smite is never going to threaten a 18 wound LR. Especially when factor in meat shields etc.

Personally i hope instead of getting weapon load outs, we get psychic powers that are capable of hurting vehicles. I think that solves some of our weakness in a fluffy way. Add some anti-horde and some utility psychic powers (soul swap) and i have very little to complain about. Preferably also cast able by rubrics/scarabs so the sorcerers actually mean something instead of being dead-weight!! 

Icon still worthless imo. I would much rather have something that combo's with what we do rather than a dice roll for 1 MW. Too random/boring. Even if i take it, 90% chance i'm going to forget about it during the game.

Quick general question:

Are there any psychic powers so far that have a "weapon profile"? Like "the targeted unit suffers 2D6 S4 AP- hits" etc or is it either mortal wounds or no damage at all? Because I really miss those weapon profile powers.