Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Short review] Adrian Smith's Chronicles of Hate

Adrian Smith artwork comic artbook visual novel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

Warpmiss

Warpmiss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 134 posts
  • Chapter Name: Death Guard, Iron Warriors

I've mentioned a couple of times that one of the main reasons I became interested in Warhammer as a whole was the gorgeous yet creepy art by Adrian Smith. Since I'm guessing I am not alone in that respect I thought I could share a few bits of his recent visual novel: Chronicles of Hate.

I got both books yesterday and I quickly read through them in a couple of hours. Only looking for these covers did I discover they are a companion of sorts to a tabletop game whose models would look amazing in a Khorne army. Goodness, I want to try it.

5Q6Q65u.jpg

Anyway, let's start talking about the visual novels. 

OVRN8uV.jpg

As you can see, they are a bit bigger that a 40K codex. At least in height, they are thinner with the first volume at 100 pages and the second 126. 

The art is all I have always loved about Adrian Smith's style. Reading this was like revisiting his old black and white illustrations in the WFB books, specially those for the Chaos Warriors and Beastmen which were always in my top favorites.

zkTpuH1.jpg

bg6KQRN.jpg

AzypjbI.jpg

The story is very straightforward. In the very first page we have some paragraph's which tell us all we need to know about the dark world the story takes place in.

Spoiler

After that there's barely any dialog or narration. Everything is conveyed through the illustrations with only a few words being exchanged for the reader to understand the details and nuances that would otherwise be quite difficult to follow. This lack of text makes you take your time to analyze every panel to take everything in and there's too many details in there!

However, that's also the main problem I've had with these books. Since you are paying a lot of attention to the illustrations you will also notice that they sometimes have an unfinished look to them or worse, they even seem blurry. I took some other pictures but since the pages are glossy and not matte it may not be so noticeable. This picture I found online of an actual page in the first book shows it better:

bTCBoEo.jpg

I was very disappointed by this but if you look at the pages from a bit further away it is not so noticeable. Besides, if Adrian Smith did all these illustrations by himself (no other artist is credited) I can let it pass as I can imagine a single panel may have taken hours.

Still there are many amazing illustrations, this one in book two has to be my favorite:

oaKoU9o.jpg

• Warhead01, Sandlemad, Scribe and 1 other like this

Call_of_Chaos_10_Banner_00.jpg

Scribe

Scribe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,266 posts
  • Chapter Name: Chaos

That looks amazing. I will buy it this weekend. :D

"We will never be free..."

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 18,733 posts
  • Chapter Name: VIIth Legion
This isn't a Warhammer 40,000 setting product and doesn't fall within the scope of B&C discussion.

gallery_26_548_2975.gif
gallery_26_548_5714.png
gallery_26_548_11725.gif
gallery_26_548_4490.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Adrian Smith, artwork, comic, artbook, visual novel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users