Blood Angels Codex brief review

JamesI

Now that preorders are going live I am allowed to write this.

I hate to admit this, but I've had the Codex for a week now.  Sadly only had time to play 1 game so far with it.  

I'll start with a few favorites new things

Astorath - his axe is back to being +2 strength!

With the bonus to wound making me want to maximize attacks, I think Sanguinor will be a really good choice this codex. Also the ability to leave combat and recharge getting the +1 to wound off again

Librarian Dreads flying are a thing again!

The reroll to wound provide by Lieutenants is great, though I think I am more interested in rerolls to hit.

Sanguinary Guard got cheaper.  base cost is now 20.  And with Angelus bolters cheaper, that makes the minimum cost per model 35 points.

Stratagems- 

my favorite I have not seen revealed by GW is Descent of Angels.  2Cp.  A unit with jump packs that deep struck that turn charges with 3d6. Not 3d6 drop the lowest.  3d6.

Artifacts:

My favorite is the banner for the 5+ FNP.  

2 others I like, 

Angels Wing, jump pack can reroll charge distance and no overwatch by target.

Hammer of Baal. Thunder hammer but without the -1 to hit penalty.

Warlord trait:

Heroic bearing. Units within 6 inches automatically pass morale.

Psychic power:

Quickening

+d3 attacks for the psyker and +3 inches charge and advance.

Some things I found disappointing:

Dante is too expensive for what he does I think. I would rather take Astorath or sanguinor and save points.

DC should be better, the +1 to wound on the charge does not make up for not being able to use the 5++ for the banner and that Vanguard are cheaper and can get more attacks with 2 chainswords per model.

Baal predators are actually slightly more expensive (the base cost got cheaper but the Twin linked assault cannon got more expensive)

Don't bother playing a Successor chapter.  the only reason to is if you want to use Seth.

I will try to answer questions when I can.  And will probably add more information as I think of it.

Stratagems- 

my favorite I have not seen revealed by GW is Descent of Angels.  2Cp.  A unit with jump packs that deep struck that turn charges with 3d6. Not 3d6 drop the lowest.  3d6.

Psychic power:

Quickening

Oh my. This'll be fun.

Psychic power:

Quickening

Is the +3" charge and advance for the psyker only or can you cast it on a different unit? If on a different unit then that's huge!

Descent of Angels is definitely going to win us games tho! That's the one thing we needed apart for +1 to wound rolls to make our Jump Pack melee units viable imo. A bit sad that it won't work on Reivers tho.

Edited by sfPanzer

I heard something about Sanguinary Guard getting their own aura as a unit, is that true?

Any changes to dreadnought Blood Talons that make them worthwhile?

Sanguinary Guard do not have an Aura other than possible deathmasks.

Blood Talons are a straight 3 damage now, reroll hits and wounds.  Strength +4, Ap-2.

Thanks for posting.
Really disappointing to hear about BAAL preds and Dante. I had 3 waiting to be built ><. Can't see any reason using them over the FW Sicarans that just got a massive pricedrop.
Was also hoping DC would get... something.. Even if it was just a point or 2 cheaper. Still going to run plenty, they're just too cool not to.

Awesome news RE Sanguinary Guard and that stratagem/psychic power. Kinda makes me want to run a 10man unit.....

Pre-orders are up on the NZ GW store... Don't think I'm a fan of those dice, might stick with my custom Chessex ones.

Edited by Syrex

Death Company can be held back too? What's stopping them from doing the same thing following turn? You can have large jump units charging Turn 1 from reserve, then turn 2 from reserve. It's actually pretty awesome when Meph or a Libby Dread flies over to join the fight.

This is pretty significant

Edited by Ishagu

I think it is going to be really easy to run out of command points in this codex.

2 each time for descent of angels, 1 if you want 2 artifacts. They will go quick.  

So on Descen of Angels, is that one unit only? Like if I have Lemmy with the DC, DC leave Lemmy behind?

Sadly, yes.

Sanguinary ancient no longer makes units immune to morale, have to take the warlord trait for that.  Instead +1 leadership.

Terminator ancient seems unchanged.

What is the successor relic?

Archangels shard.

Power sword that against monsters gets d3 damage, against daemon monsters d6.