Blood Angels Codex brief review

JamesI

For some reason that feels like a Black Templar list....just more deadly. :D

You caught me :).

BT player, but a bit saddened that our CT are lack luster. Considering starting Blood Templar. Using DC as sword brothers (vanguard detachment) with some crusader squads as a BT battalion. Not competitive, but fluffy and fun imo.

Or just go full BA, model them as BT and and call em Blood Templar.

It's nice to have that option but I honestly can't really see me taking it unless I need a budget melee Captain. I'd rather take the Gravis Captain or, if he just has to stay back and provide his aura, a cheap Primaris Captain with master crafted Stalker Bolt rifle just for the heck of it. ^^

Forgive me if this has been asked before and I missed the explanation but it seems BA Predators are 12 points more than the SM version at base cost.

Do Preds have Overcharged Engines or something?

It's nice to have that option but I honestly can't really see me taking it unless I need a budget melee Captain. I'd rather take the Gravis Captain or, if he just has to stay back and provide his aura, a cheap Primaris Captain with master crafted Stalker Bolt rifle just for the heck of it. ^^

I preferred the plasma pistol and powerfist when I played my BA full primaris army over the last few months.  I used him to heroic intervention when my hellblasters would get charged.  I just found the regular power sword wasn't great and very much preferred the power fist.  That was much more important for me than the gun.

That's why I've been loving my Gravis Captain- if you have to countercharge he'll happily wade into a big pile of enemies and, assuming you aren't facing beserkers or something, take way less damage than you'd expect.

I'll admit noise marines messed him up pretty bad last game though. First time I'd played against them and every time one died in assault they'd hit me with a krak grenade.

That's why I've been loving my Gravis Captain- if you have to countercharge he'll happily wade into a big pile of enemies and, assuming you aren't facing beserkers or something, take way less damage than you'd expect.

I'll admit noise marines messed him up pretty bad last game though. First time I'd played against them and every time one died in assault they'd hit me with a krak grenade.

I don't think they can throw grenades at him as long as the unit is still in melee with him.

The Music of the Apocalypse special rule says "even if the model's unit is within 1" of the enemy" but that doesn't circumvent the fact that your Captain is still in melee. It just means the model slain can shoot OUT of that combat at another unit. It doesn't allow the slain model to shoot at a model that is in melee itself.

Just because they can make an attack or shoot with a weapon/throw a grenade it doesn't mean they can ignore the normal shooting rules...which includes not being able to shoot anything at a unit in melee than a Pistol (or a weapon with special such a special rule like Daemonette whips). That's why I always give my Champion a Plasma Pistol or a Power Axe. ^^

Of course. Not saying it's the most competitive. But for approx 650pts you get a solid firing platofrom that's durable, and sole killing machines that you'd likely bring anyhow.

You have 1350 pts to play with. Bring other threats.

Edit: for more fun. Bring it twice. Now you have 600 pts to play with and redundancy :biggrin.:

I opened 8th edition basing my army around two Land Raiders with jump veterans in them. (I broke their arms off so many times this year...)

It needs a rethink for sure, as the game has developed alot since then, but here are my ramblings of where I was at back then if it is of any use.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/335259-2000-pts-of-heavy-armoured-ba-assault/?hl=%2Barmoured&do=findComment&comment=4794197

The idea was playable, but left something to be desired as the codex armies gathered steam, the go first mechanic changed and such so I moved to other things.

--

My buddy used to clean my clock pretty regular back in 3rd/4th edition someplace with Black Templars (2 Raiders of boys, 2 Characters, 2 Dreadnoughts).

I miss fighting them even if they mostly won. BT are such a cool army...

Anyhow, 2 Land Raiders is pretty neat. An idea I will likely revisit with the new codex and new toys at some point.

Go for it if you have the models already. Sure to be fun however it plays out I'm thinking.

Edited by Crimson Ghost IX

I don't think they can throw grenades at him as long as the unit is still in melee with him.

The Music of the Apocalypse special rule says "even if the model's unit is within 1" of the enemy" but that doesn't circumvent the fact that your Captain is still in melee. It just means the model slain can shoot OUT of that combat at another unit. It doesn't allow the slain model to shoot at a model that is in melee itself.

Just because they can make an attack or shoot with a weapon/throw a grenade it doesn't mean they can ignore the normal shooting rules...which includes not being able to shoot anything at a unit in melee than a Pistol (or a weapon with special such a special rule like Daemonette whips). That's why I always give my Champion a Plasma Pistol or a Power Axe. ^^

The rule says they can shoot, grenade or attack even if inside 1". It doesn't make much sense to say the NM can shoot a different unit but not the one they're currently in combat with. Codex unit rules override general rule book rules. It's my most EC players love sonic blasters...oh you killed me...here is three shots to the face as I die.

I've looked around online and the consensus seems to be that he was doing it right- I certainly couldn't argue after reading the rule myself. It definitely felt pretty crappy though- my poor captain was surrounded by 15 guys who were always hitting first through multiple rounds of combat and would hit him with krak grenades every time he managed to take one down. I ended up flying my jump pack captain in to help which was quite the mistake, as he just died immediately.

The rule says they can shoot, grenade or attack even if inside 1". It doesn't make much sense to say the NM can shoot a different unit but not the one they're currently in combat with. Codex unit rules override general rule book rules. It's my most EC players love sonic blasters...oh you killed me...here is three shots to the face as I die.

Yes I know what it says. I quoted it even. Just because it allows you to shoot something when YOUR unit is within 1" it doesn't automatically allow you to shoot at an enemy that is within 1" of another players unit. Yes Codex rules overwrite general rules but this one doesn't overwrite the rule about not being able to shoot at units that are engaged in melee. It only overwrites the rule that prevents you to shoot when YOU are engaged in melee. Big difference.

Never said it makes much sense or couldn't be better but that's what it is RAW. That being said it does make enough sense since that rule gets triggered when they die from shooting as well.

Forgive me if this has been asked before and I missed the explanation but it seems BA Predators are 12 points more than the SM version at base cost.

Do Preds have Overcharged Engines or something?

I do not understand this at all. Surely it must be a misprint/typo?

Just bought the Codex. 102p for the regular Predator and 100p for the Baal Predator. No change on its Datasheet compared to the vanilla Codex Predator so the only difference would come from Stratagems or psychic powers. Aka Lucifer engines and the 5++ power.

Also I'm reading the killshot stratagem right now and it only talks about Predators, not about Baal Predators. So no killshot stratagem for Baal Predators unfortunately.

Sorry if that has been asked before : How much space is given to the Successor Chapter fluffwise in the new codex? Is there relevant info on say the Flesh Tearers or the Lamenters in particular? Or is just a page spread with pics of other marines who like their Armour mostly red and / or with drips of blood painted on?

Sorry if that has been asked before : How much space is given to the Successor Chapter fluffwise in the new codex? Is there relevant info on say the Flesh Tearers or the Lamenters in particular? Or is just a page spread with pics of other marines who like their Armour mostly red and / or with drips of blood painted on?

Space really dedicated towards successor chapters? Almost none.

Page 18 has an Intercessor in the colors of Angels Encarmine, Angels Sanguine, Flesh Tearers and Carmine Blades together with a short description of the Chapter and a shoulder pad with Chapter badge pictured.

Page 19 has the same for Angels Vermillion, Blood Drinkers, Knights of the Chalice and Lamenters.

That's all. No more dedicated space for the successors. The rest is all about the past of the Blood Angels, the flaws, the chronicles and the specific units etc.

Just bought the Codex. 102p for the regular Predator and 100p for the Baal Predator. No change on its Datasheet compared to the vanilla Codex Predator so the only difference would come from Stratagems or psychic powers. Aka Lucifer engines and the 5++ power.

Also I'm reading the killshot stratagem right now and it only talks about Predators, not about Baal Predators. So no killshot stratagem for Baal Predators unfortunately.

Baal Predators have keyword Predator, so it should apply to them.

Nope.

It's just "Predator" and not "PREDATOR" so it's referring to the unit and not the keyword.

No killshot for Baals.

Unfortunately the Killshot stratagem has Predator not printed in bold so it talks about the unit not the keyword.

Edited by sfPanzer

I'd really like to know why the regular Predator costs 102p for us tho. As far as I can tell the Codex includes all the CA point changes already (not that the Predator had any tho). Not just that it's 12p more expensive than the vanilla Codex one, it even is 2p more expensive than the Baal one now lol

Maybe it's a missprint. Like they were adjusting numbers for the Baal Predator and one time someone didn't pay attention and accidently changed to points for the regular Predator instead and nobody noticed it.....I guess it would get fixed in the FAQ soon in that case.

I'm wondering if the Baal might be worth it as a distraction unit.

Give it all flamers and just roll up trying to burn things (sponson facings now not mattering etc)

You can move pretty far on turn 1 for 1CP and it might move some firepower from your alpha strike.

Still wish the weapons were assault though, then it would have been PREMIER.