Blood Angels Codex brief review

JamesI

I'm wondering if the Baal might be worth it as a distraction unit.

Give it all flamers and just roll up trying to burn things (sponson facings now not mattering etc)

You can move pretty far on turn 1 for 1CP and it might move some firepower from your alpha strike.

Still wish the weapons were assault though, then it would have been PREMIER.

A Baal Pred full with Flamer and the 5++ cast on him would make for a great distraction unit for sure! :biggrin.:

Edited by sfPanzer

Sorry if that has been asked before : How much space is given to the Successor Chapter fluffwise in the new codex? Is there relevant info on say the Flesh Tearers or the Lamenters in particular? Or is just a page spread with pics of other marines who like their Armour mostly red and / or with drips of blood painted on?

Space really dedicated towards successor chapters? Almost none.

Page 18 has an Intercessor in the colors of Angels Encarmine, Angels Sanguine, Flesh Tearers and Carmine Blades together with a short description of the Chapter and a shoulder pad with Chapter badge pictured.

Page 19 has the same for Angels Vermillion, Blood Drinkers, Knights of the Chalice and Lamenters.

That's all. No more dedicated space for the successors. The rest is all about the past of the Blood Angels, the flaws, the chronicles and the specific units etc.

A shame, considering the excellent work that had been done for the Tyranids hive fleets description. A missed opportunity to bring more diversity for the Blood Angels, most notably with some of the Devastation of Baal chapters, that were given a "description", Golden Sons,  Exsanguinators, Flesh Eaters, Angels Excelsis, Charnel Guard. Those five and the Lamenters, would have made for 2-6 pages of new interresting "new" successors.

Instead, we end up with a plain description of those already well known 2nd foundations successors, a confirmation of the Lamenters and Carmines Blades survival, and the Primaris Intercessor picture (Just in case we wouldn't understand how much GW want to replace Classic Marines with Primaris.....^^).

While i'm happy about the codex as a whole, and that i like the presentation, i cannot help but to feel that GW missed an opportunity in regard of the Successors Fluff, and rule-wise, about the Relics.

A good codex, that could have been even better. GW forgot that the Blood Angels codex is for both the Primogenitor and the Successors, even if it is rightfully focus on the first.

Sorry if that has been asked before : How much space is given to the Successor Chapter fluffwise in the new codex? Is there relevant info on say the Flesh Tearers or the Lamenters in particular? Or is just a page spread with pics of other marines who like their Armour mostly red and / or with drips of blood painted on?

Space really dedicated towards successor chapters? Almost none.

Page 18 has an Intercessor in the colors of Angels Encarmine, Angels Sanguine, Flesh Tearers and Carmine Blades together with a short description of the Chapter and a shoulder pad with Chapter badge pictured.

Page 19 has the same for Angels Vermillion, Blood Drinkers, Knights of the Chalice and Lamenters.

That's all. No more dedicated space for the successors. The rest is all about the past of the Blood Angels, the flaws, the chronicles and the specific units etc.

A shame, considering the excellent work that had been done for the Tyranids hive fleets description. A missed opportunity to bring more diversity for the Blood Angels, most notably with some of the Devastation of Baal chapters, that were given a "description", Golden Sons,  Exsanguinators, Flesh Eaters, Angels Excelsis, Charnel Guard. Those five and the Lamenters, would have made for 2-6 pages of new interresting "new" successors.

Instead, we end up with a plain description of those already well known 2nd foundations successors, a confirmation of the Lamenters and Carmines Blades survival, and the Primaris Intercessor picture (Just in case we wouldn't understand how much GW want to replace Classic Marines with Primaris.....^^).

While i'm happy about the codex as a whole, and that i like the presentation, i cannot help but to feel that GW missed an opportunity in regard of the Successors Fluff, and rule-wise, about the Relics.

A good codex, that could have been even better. GW forgot that the Blood Angels codex is for both the Primogenitor and the Successors, even if it is rightfully focus on the first.

What annoys me about the Lamenters they've shown is that the way Company/Squad is depicted on the armour is completely different to the Forge World depiction. The previous method had no squad markings, and the Company shown by a numeral inside the squad-type symbol (arrow for Tactical, swords for Assault etc.) on the shoulder, and now we've got the company seeming to be shown by a kneepad coloured the same as the Codex designations, and the number of the squad on the shoulderpad. Very minor issue, I know, but still annoying.

Yeah the refer to Index thing is pretty lame, but what is kinda weird is... "Twin Assault Cannon" for razorbacks have never been in the all plastic kit (can't remember if it was in the metal turret kit) - but they're still in the codex. You can buy forgeworld kit for it but that's it.

Yeah the refer to Index thing is pretty lame, but what is kinda weird is... "Twin Assault Cannon" for razorbacks have never been in the all plastic kit (can't remember if it was in the metal turret kit) - but they're still in the codex. You can buy forgeworld kit for it but that's it.

There's also the Land Raider Crusader upgrade pack for $20 with both the hurrican bolter sponsons and an assault cannon turret.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Upgrade-Pack-Land-Raider-Crusader

Got my BA Codex today. Finally! I really like this codex. I have no idea why people are complaining about this codex. Yes, not everything works, but when did everything work? I really love the artwork and pics in the Dex..............now to break out pen and paper and start working a two or three 2000pnt lists...........

Is the Repulsor hover tank worth is points?

I don't see where people are complaining about it that much? The general tone is pretty positive imo.

The Repulsor is very worth it....in a Primaris army. No clue about a mixed army or one without Primaris. I didn't bother comparing it to other tanks. Hover the FLY keyword is certainly a strong point since he can fall back and still shoot in case the enemy tries to disable it by charging.

I didn't say it makes it invulnerable and of course it won't help you if you get charged by something like Berzerker or attacked by something that by definition ignores every save and usually Toughness as well lol

FLY is just by far one of the strongest rules in the whole game. It adds SO much utility it's incredible. You can keep shooting after falling back, you can jump over units and over terrain, you can charge flyer, it often comes with a bigger movement stat and it often also gives the ability to deep strike (not in this case tho).

You don't need to tell me how FLY has to get used. My main army is T'au. Basically everything except for the basic Troops has FLY in that army. :biggrin.:

What I'm talking about? I'm just saying that FLY is extremely good, especially on a shooty unit or a transport and it's something the other Marine tanks don't have. :wink:

Edited by sfPanzer

Ah balls... now have a copy of the codex to read and seems half the hq options have lost the jump pack ability.

May have been discussed elsewhere but looks like just captain, librarian and chaplain? Ie not the priest, nor any of the units that made up the old command squad (champion, ancient...)

Maybe not that big a deal (magnets solve many rule changes) but different role if they are less mobile.

On the plus side, think 2 command squad veterans may have just been promoted to jump pack lieutenant :-)

Ah balls... now have a copy of the codex to read and seems half the hq options have lost the jump pack ability.

May have been discussed elsewhere but looks like just captain, librarian and chaplain? Ie not the priest, nor any of the units that made up the old command squad (champion, ancient...)

Maybe not that big a deal (magnets solve many rule changes) but different role if they are less mobile.

On the plus side, think 2 command squad veterans may have just been promoted to jump pack lieutenant :-)

You can use the index wargear options :-)

Repulsor is good if you have primaris units you need to transport. Probably better options otherwise.

Basically this: it has a ridiculous amount of dakka, but you are also paying a good chunk for its transport capability. As a pure gunboat, it’s not bad just not the most efficient.

Prob is it doesn’t synergize all that well with its potential payloads. You really have two worthwhile options: Agressors (with possible character support) to deliver the slow, close-ranged kind of CC unit and Intercessors (either a single or two 5-man squads) to vomit out cheap ObSec. Reivers have their own deployment shenanigans and Hellblasters want to be on the board shooting every single turn.

The Primaris range really needs a Rhino-equivalent APC to go along with the Land Raider analogue. I would love to do a mechanized Primaris force but at 350+ a pop for the transport it’s just too much.

You can use the index wargear options :-)

Heh - think I'll have to staple the BA codex to the index to the marine codex.

"Hey - what is that you brought for the game?"

"Ah... it's the 'Uber-Blood-Angels-codex'. I fixed some things GW didn't transfer properly from the index"

"You mean cherry picked it?"

"No. FIXED. IT."

[loses rag... proceeds to batter opponent with 900 page codex...]