Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Blood Angels Codex brief review

• Please log in to reply
538 replies to this topic

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,835 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cacophony of Unbound Pleasure

I'm wondering if the Baal might be worth it as a distraction unit.

Give it all flamers and just roll up trying to burn things (sponson facings now not mattering etc)

You can move pretty far on turn 1 for 1CP and it might move some firepower from your alpha strike.

Still wish the weapons were assault though, then it would have been PREMIER.

A Baal Pred full with Flamer and the 5++ cast on him would make for a great distraction unit for sure! biggrin.png

Edited by sfPanzer, 09 December 2017 - 01:43 PM.

• Aothaine likes this

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpg

Frater Antodeniel

Frater Antodeniel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 894 posts
  • Chapter Name: Knights of Blood

Sorry if that has been asked before : How much space is given to the Successor Chapter fluffwise in the new codex? Is there relevant info on say the Flesh Tearers or the Lamenters in particular? Or is just a page spread with pics of other marines who like their Armour mostly red and / or with drips of blood painted on?

Space really dedicated towards successor chapters? Almost none.

Page 18 has an Intercessor in the colors of Angels Encarmine, Angels Sanguine, Flesh Tearers and Carmine Blades together with a short description of the Chapter and a shoulder pad with Chapter badge pictured.

Page 19 has the same for Angels Vermillion, Blood Drinkers, Knights of the Chalice and Lamenters.

That's all. No more dedicated space for the successors. The rest is all about the past of the Blood Angels, the flaws, the chronicles and the specific units etc.

A shame, considering the excellent work that had been done for the Tyranids hive fleets description. A missed opportunity to bring more diversity for the Blood Angels, most notably with some of the Devastation of Baal chapters, that were given a "description", Golden Sons,  Exsanguinators, Flesh Eaters, Angels Excelsis, Charnel Guard. Those five and the Lamenters, would have made for 2-6 pages of new interresting "new" successors.

Instead, we end up with a plain description of those already well known 2nd foundations successors, a confirmation of the Lamenters and Carmines Blades survival, and the Primaris Intercessor picture (Just in case we wouldn't understand how much GW want to replace Classic Marines with Primaris.....^^).

While i'm happy about the codex as a whole, and that i like the presentation, i cannot help but to feel that GW missed an opportunity in regard of the Successors Fluff, and rule-wise, about the Relics.

A good codex, that could have been even better. GW forgot that the Blood Angels codex is for both the Primogenitor and the Successors, even if it is rightfully focus on the first.

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon. That is the difference between I and you."

++ Rors Chak's, Chapter Master of the Knights of Blood during his Forum Judicium Trial in 849.M40 following the chapter excommunication by the High Lords of Terra ++

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,835 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cacophony of Unbound Pleasure
Honestly, as long as GW doesn't go all out on their Primaris line it all just feels like a temporary Codex. biggrin.png

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpg

Xin Ceithan

Xin Ceithan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 902 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Obsidian Coil, XXth Legio
Thanks for heads up. That is rather sad news indeed. I was hoping for a couple of pages at least, given that that Flesh Tearers e.g. actually had a full codex add on earlier...
<p>Call_of_Chaos_7_Banner_01c.jpg;<p>Call_of_Chaos_9_Banner_01b.jpg

Jakeball74

Jakeball74

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 30 posts
Is there any fluff in the new codex regarding how the companies are organised now with the Primaris reinforcement?

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,734 posts

Is there any fluff in the new codex regarding how the companies are organised now with the Primaris reinforcement?

Yup.

Super flexible, do it how you want basically.

gallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_11765_15606.jpggallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pngXX

Lord_Caerolion

Lord_Caerolion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,913 posts
  • Chapter Name: Lamenters

Sorry if that has been asked before : How much space is given to the Successor Chapter fluffwise in the new codex? Is there relevant info on say the Flesh Tearers or the Lamenters in particular? Or is just a page spread with pics of other marines who like their Armour mostly red and / or with drips of blood painted on?

Space really dedicated towards successor chapters? Almost none.

Page 18 has an Intercessor in the colors of Angels Encarmine, Angels Sanguine, Flesh Tearers and Carmine Blades together with a short description of the Chapter and a shoulder pad with Chapter badge pictured.

Page 19 has the same for Angels Vermillion, Blood Drinkers, Knights of the Chalice and Lamenters.

That's all. No more dedicated space for the successors. The rest is all about the past of the Blood Angels, the flaws, the chronicles and the specific units etc.

A shame, considering the excellent work that had been done for the Tyranids hive fleets description. A missed opportunity to bring more diversity for the Blood Angels, most notably with some of the Devastation of Baal chapters, that were given a "description", Golden Sons,  Exsanguinators, Flesh Eaters, Angels Excelsis, Charnel Guard. Those five and the Lamenters, would have made for 2-6 pages of new interresting "new" successors.

Instead, we end up with a plain description of those already well known 2nd foundations successors, a confirmation of the Lamenters and Carmines Blades survival, and the Primaris Intercessor picture (Just in case we wouldn't understand how much GW want to replace Classic Marines with Primaris.....^^).

While i'm happy about the codex as a whole, and that i like the presentation, i cannot help but to feel that GW missed an opportunity in regard of the Successors Fluff, and rule-wise, about the Relics.

A good codex, that could have been even better. GW forgot that the Blood Angels codex is for both the Primogenitor and the Successors, even if it is rightfully focus on the first.

What annoys me about the Lamenters they've shown is that the way Company/Squad is depicted on the armour is completely different to the Forge World depiction. The previous method had no squad markings, and the Company shown by a numeral inside the squad-type symbol (arrow for Tactical, swords for Assault etc.) on the shoulder, and now we've got the company seeming to be shown by a kneepad coloured the same as the Codex designations, and the number of the squad on the shoulderpad. Very minor issue, I know, but still annoying.

QUOTE (A D-B @ Feb 2 2011, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Lord_Caerolion @ Feb 1 2011, 03:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"And then Horus landed on the Moon, which looked like the moon. Funny that, isn't it?"

You're hired.

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,892 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels
Disappointed that I have to resort to the Index for my Bike Squad Sergeant :(
  • Valistan and Chaplain Gunzhard like this

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,390 posts

Disappointed that I have to resort to the Index for my Bike Squad Sergeant sad.png

What's he missing in the codex?

gallery_62972_10568_11157.jpg 30k WIP Thread: Talons : 40k WIP Thread "You would not cut down a tree with a sword, neither will you pierce a heart with an axe."

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,892 posts
He can only have pistol or melee. In the Index it says Sergeant list. So I need to go down that route to use my combi-weapon Sergeant.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,390 posts

Welp.

Another reason to not finish painting my bikes I guess then rolleyesclean.gif

They did well in the last few games of 7th at least biggrin.png

gallery_62972_10568_11157.jpg 30k WIP Thread: Talons : 40k WIP Thread "You would not cut down a tree with a sword, neither will you pierce a heart with an axe."

Chaplain Gunzhard

Chaplain Gunzhard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,487 posts

Yeah the refer to Index thing is pretty lame, but what is kinda weird is... "Twin Assault Cannon" for razorbacks have never been in the all plastic kit (can't remember if it was in the metal turret kit) - but they're still in the codex. You can buy forgeworld kit for it but that's it.

ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei02.jpggallery_21629_1142_21859.gif
Please check out my 40K blog: http://atticwars40k.blogspot.com/

Booley

Booley

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7 posts

Yeah the refer to Index thing is pretty lame, but what is kinda weird is... "Twin Assault Cannon" for razorbacks have never been in the all plastic kit (can't remember if it was in the metal turret kit) - but they're still in the codex. You can buy forgeworld kit for it but that's it.

There's also the Land Raider Crusader upgrade pack for $20 with both the hurrican bolter sponsons and an assault cannon turret.

https://www.games-wo...Raider-Crusader

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,892 posts

Quite, but that seems an odd addition at first glance? Can only assume that's why it's there (there was no TLAC back then)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Orpheus Black Blood