Blood Angels Codex brief review

JamesI

Whoa whoa whoa!

You can take the warlord trait that makes units within 6" immune to morale. Make the warlord Chaplin Death Company with a jump pack. Drop in with a squad of 15 decked out Death Company, Use the strat to charge in with 3d6 for the 15 death company, charge in with a Chaplin with jp and the no over-watch relic. Then you have some fancy-pants immune to morale DC charging in first turn. If the chaplin fails the charge you conga line some of the DC so they are in the aura and your not even losing that many attacks. 

^_^

DC have no issues with morale ever again.

Sanguinary Guard got cheaper. base cost is now 20. And with Angelus bolters cheaper, that makes the minimum cost per model 35 points.

So I take it that means the Encarmine Glaives are 12 points. That seems pricey given that you can get a power fist for the same price to ensure you are wounding anything less than a Land Raider on a 2+.

Thanks for taking the time to share all this with us.

Encarmine weapons should be cheaper like force weapons. But aren't.

A Blood Angel with a fist or hammer, within 6 inches of a priest and on the charge wounds T8 ona 2+.

Fluff question: it was reported by some people that watched the WHTV stream that Sanguinius is now 'in bad shape/in stasis.' Is there any new lore on this in the codex itself, or was it just offhand comments from the stream/misinterpreted by the listener(s)?

I did not see that in the codex, but will admit Ive spent more time on the rules than the fluff so I could have missed it.

Wait wait wait.

Did you just say Astorath like CANCELS out a psyker via deny the witch with his warlord trait?? 

Little more detail on that please. That is prehaps pretty huge depending how it works...

--

Thanks for doing this Q&A James I.

You are indeed awesome for doing so.

Mood was growing dark and GW armed the right guy to be there at the right moment to tilt with that for me.

Anyhow, Thanks for the info (good and bad) =)

I may have missed this- were there any other relic weapons? I'm mostly curious to see if Valor's Edge is back.

No, closest is the archangels shard.

So only weapons are the hammer and shard.

Oh and Galens staff, force staff with -1 ap and +1to cast smite.

Wait wait wait.

Did you just say Astorath like CANCELS out a psyker via deny the witch with his warlord trait?? 

Little more detail on that please. That is prehaps pretty huge depending how it works...

--

Mood was growing dark and GW armed the right guy to be there at the right moment to tilt with that for me.

Pretty sure he just means that Astorath always has that warlord trait and that it just lets him try to deny the witch like a normal psyker once a phase.

Wait wait wait.

--

If i said that, i overstated it. The warlord trait gives one additional time using deny the witch. So it lets Astorath do it once.

Wait wait wait.

--

Pretty sure he just means that Astorath always has that warlord trait and that it just lets him try to deny the witch like a normal psyker once a phase.

Yeah I misread him - Ignore me =)

I may have missed this- were there any other relic weapons? I'm mostly curious to see if Valor's Edge is back.

They said there are 6 relics so they are:

1) scrolls that give back command points

2) feel no pain standard

3) thunder hammer

4) jump pack

5) force staff

6) successor only shard sword

Is this it?

Damn, that's unfortunate. The Archangel's Shard looked borderline useless so there go my dreams of having a good relic weapon on my Captain with a sword. The other relics seems pretty damn good though.

They said there are 6 relics so they are:

1) scrolls that give back command points

2) feel no pain standard

3) thunder hammer

4) jump pack

5) force staff

6) successor only shard sword

Is this it?

yes.

Oh man! I like a lot of what I'm reading! Thanks for the info! You are a true hero :wink:

I couldn't have said it any better myself, Brother Lemartes. This definitely makes me feel better about the models I own (including 15 JP DC :whistling: ), and how – despite the lack of lower costs or improved FNP, etc – I can still manage to think of ways to combo them with stratagems and other units to really feel like I can be at least a fun amount of competitive.

I ran out of "Likes" for today, but thank you so very much for sharing, JamesI !!

I will say a fun moment from my game. DC charged a ork battlewagon. The 2 fists and the 2 with powerswords killed it leaving the 4 others standing there wondering what to do.

Thanks James

Any changes to the sanguinary priest wargear options (IE can mine still take thunderhammers?) and any option for ones in terminator armor?

you need to use the index for options. No ability to hive priest terminator armor.

Death Company Captain with the Angel's Wing, Thunderhammer+Storm Shield, +1D warlord trait. Pick a target, deepstrike, play the 3d6 charge strat and then the +D3 attack strat when he gets in. Minimum 6 D4 Ap-3 attacks hitting on 3s, rerolling 1s, wounding everything short of a Land Raider on 2s- and he's immune to overwatch. I know what I'm kitbashing this weekend.

I will say a fun moment from my game. DC charged a ork battlewagon. The 2 fists and the 2 with powerswords killed it leaving the 4 others standing there wondering what to do.

Thanks James

Any changes to the sanguinary priest wargear options (IE can mine still take thunderhammers?) and any option for ones in terminator armor?

you need to use the index for options. No ability to hive priest terminator armor.

Crap.  At least they clarified the index usage.

I just can't get over them keeping the useless relic sword over the good one.

Means a master crafted power sword is the best not crap looking melee weapon we have (thunder hammers and fists just don't feel remotely blood angel to me)

Relic Blades actually feel pretty usable with the Red Thirst taken into account. That's what I'll be giving my captain at least.

Thanks James

Crap. At least they clarified the index usage.

yeah, I think it sucks. My priests have jump packs and power fist or power axe. So have to drag out the index for 1 or 2 models.

No option for a glaive encarmine I assume? (Definitely not on primaris, but maybe on normal?)

I wish captains could take them, though might as well do a relic blade then.

Can’t Blood Angels also use all the generic C:SM relics and stratagems too?

we have a lot of the generic codex stratagems, but you would need a codex marine detachment to get codex artifacts