Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Warmaster is out!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,042 posts

A wee bit of news, the Warmaster is finally out!

THE STORY
After the success of their desperate mission to Salvation's Reach, Colonel-Commissar Gaunt and the Tanith First race to the strategically vital forge world of Urdesh, besieged by the brutal armies of Anarch Sek. However, there may be more at stake than just a planet. The Imperial forces have made an attempt to divide and conquer their enemy, but with Warmaster Macaroth himself commanding the Urdesh campaign, it is possible that the Archenemy assault has a different purpose - to decapitate the Imperial command structure with a single blow. Has the Warmaster allowed himself to become an unwitting target? And can Gaunt's Ghosts possibly defend him against the assembled killers and war machines of Chaos? 

Written by Dan Abnett. Audiobook edition running time 14 hours and 17 minutes. Narrated by James Cameron Stewart

Dan Abnett doing a reading:

And the opening excerpt from the audio on the BL site:

Duncan opening the special edition:

02-12-Warmaster-LE-page-2500.jpg

Special Edition

And then the normals:

BLPROCESSED-GGTheWarmaster-cover.jpg

http://www.blacklibr...ster-ebook.html

Edited by Petitioner's City, 02 December 2017 - 10:36 AM.

• Brother Lunkhead and Loquille like this

Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

Spoiler

lajetee.jpg

Ficinus

Ficinus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 175 posts
Oh... I thought this was news that GW was re-releasing Warmaster. I guess I'll go put my tiny dwarves and high elves back in the closet.
  • Doghouse, Lexington and Calyptra like this

Reinhard

Reinhard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,725 posts

I thought they'd redone Abaddon for a second and wondered why the headline was worded as it was

Img_CH00_08Awards_03_ETL_2012B.gifgallery_29004_6198_5690.pngImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2012C.gifBT_Crusade_Expansion_VIII.gif

Tylydox

Tylydox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 276 posts

That's nice.  Now let me toss out in the garbage bin all my previous Gaunts Ghosts books and buy them again in this format so I could finally read the latest stories which BL sells nowadays only as digital...  If I ever saw a big, fat ":cuss you" from a company to its customers, that would be a prime example of it.

klisof

klisof

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 444 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars
Only as digital? The BL page has eBook, hardback and mp3 versions of the normal edition as well as the special addition with all the extra bits.
How is offering it in 3 formats and a special edition a cuss you?

If your upset the hardback does not match your mass market paperback versions of the other books you will just need to wait a few months.
  • Brother-Captain Alecto, Arkhanist, Shinespider and 1 other like this

SixOfOne

SixOfOne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 67 posts
  • Chapter Name: XIX legion: Raven Guard

I've just finished it. It's certainly up to the standard of the other books, even if it isn't as good as Necropolis and some of the other books (Personal preference has a lot to do with that though). If there's one thing that I have to say it's that I really want the next book now, it ends on much more of a cliffhanger regarding certain plotlines than other books. I definitely feel that this and Anarch is a 'two-parter', not that that's a bad thing. The last thing I'll say that when it comes to characters, Dan Abnett is continuing the trend set by every other book in the series.

• Petitioner's City likes this

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,042 posts
The one thing I'm sad about tbis is the voice actor is different - I really loved the four accent-reading of Salvation's Reach.

Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

Spoiler

lajetee.jpg

Tylydox

Tylydox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 276 posts

If your upset the hardback does not match your mass market paperback versions of the other books you will just need to wait a few months.

I've been waiting for years now and don't tell me what I already know.

Brother-Captain Alecto

Brother-Captain Alecto

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + ADEPTUS DOMUS +
  • 2,265 posts
  • Chapter Name: Word Bearers

Since when have books come out in paperback before hardback?  A standard publishing release schedule is not a ":cuss you" to the fandom.  Get a grip.  

I've just finished it. It's certainly up to the standard of the other books, even if it isn't as good as Necropolis and some of the other books (Personal preference has a lot to do with that though). If there's one thing that I have to say it's that I really want the next book now, it ends on much more of a cliffhanger regarding certain plotlines than other books. I definitely feel that this and Anarch is a 'two-parter', not that that's a bad thing. The last thing I'll say that when it comes to characters, Dan Abnett is continuing the trend set by every other book in the series.

To be fair, Necropolis is arguably the best thing Dan Abnett has written in 40k, with XenosSabbat MartyrHonour Guad, Titanicus, and Horus Rising close behind.

Edited by Brother-Captain Alecto, 02 December 2017 - 05:58 PM.

O frozen sky!  And sunlight pure!  Shining bright in history!

SixOfOne

SixOfOne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 67 posts
  • Chapter Name: XIX legion: Raven Guard

Since when have books come out in paperback before hardback?  A standard publishing release schedule is not a ":cuss you" to the fandom.  Get a grip.  

To be fair, Necropolis is arguably the best thing Dan Abnett has written in 40k, with XenosSabbat MartyrHonour Guad, Titanicus, and Horus Rising close behind.

That is true. By itself I think Warmaster is one of the weaker books in the series. It's certainly still good, but I think it suffers because it's nowhere near as much of a self-contained story. I don't mean that in terms of the over-arching plotlines, but every other book has focussed on a single event that is wrapped up by the end of the book. However, as this book sets up a lot I think my opinion of it will probably change when Anarch is released. The story from Warmaster is just not completed yet, which is fine. 

Tylydox

Tylydox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 276 posts

Since BL has started publishing them.  It was probably long before your time, but at some point in history most of the books which were available from BL were only paperbacks.

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,577 posts
  • Chapter Name: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company
Wait, that's not Horus.

Check out my Photobucket Here

DuskRaider's 40K Death Guard: A Return to the Past

DuskRaider's Word Bearers Shadow War Kill Team & INQ28 Chaos Coven

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

Brother Lunkhead

Brother Lunkhead

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 203 posts
  • Chapter Name: Praetorian Sword, Ultramarines

Since BL has started publishing them.  It was probably long before your time, but at some point in history most of the books which were available from BL were only paperbacks.

I have to give this one to Tylydox. BL has not been publishing HCs for all that long. BL, like most SF/Fantasy/Game Fiction publishers produced MMPBs almost exclusively. HH came out exclusively in MMPB format for the first few years. I was a book store owner at the time (and this was one of my hottest sellers) so I speak with some experience. I also understand and sympathize with his frustration with format. Every few years BL changes their book format quite drastically (with exception to HH which has only added different formats). For us old dog collectors it's a bit maddeningverymad.gif 

Having said that, I'm really looking forward to ​Warmaster yes.gif ​I love Abnett's work and there is very little of it that I haven't enjoyed (ok I love it all, just some I love more than others). Sadly, I'll have to wait for PB as although the HCs look very nice, the material quality is subpar.  Still, it's going to be hard to not pick it up. Happy reading brothers and sisters!

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,042 posts

Since when have books come out in paperback before hardback? A standard publishing release schedule is not a ":cuss you" to the fandom. Get a grip.

Since BL has started publishing them. It was probably long before your time, but at some point in history most of the books which were available from BL were only paperbacks.

I have to give this one to Tylydox. BL has not been publishing HCs for all that long. BL, like most SF/Fantasy/Game Fiction publishers produced MMPBs almost exclusively. HH came out exclusively in MMPB format for the first few years. I was a book store owner at the time (and this was one of my hottest sellers) so I speak with some experience. I also understand and sympathize with his frustration with format. Every few years BL changes their book format quite drastically (with exception to HH which has only added different formats). For us old dog collectors it's a bit maddeningverymad.gif

Having said that, I'm really looking forward to ​Warmaster yes.gif ​I love Abnett's work and there is very little of it that I haven't enjoyed (ok I love it all, just some I love more than others). Sadly, I'll have to wait for PB as although the HCs look very nice, the material quality is subpar. Still, it's going to be hard to not pick it up. Happy reading brothers and sisters!

Not that long? Since 2004 when Double Eagle was released hardback at least - I remember because its hardback release meant i didn't buy it. After that Ghosts books were released hardback too - starting with Traitor General - which also prolonged my buying of them too, as well as Ravenor released first, from 2004, in hardback. 

md21567453686.jpg

mWXfRZCKhl0GSwDwPP5grag.jpg

In fact, Riders of the Dead was hardback even earlier - 2003.

s-l300.jpg

Since BL was only 5-6 years old then, I think you have to admit the company has been far longer following premier hardback release strategies than not for its key releases.

Edited by Petitioner's City, 03 December 2017 - 09:56 AM.

• Brother-Captain Alecto likes this

Spoiler

lajetee.jpg

Tylydox

Tylydox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 276 posts

Ever since I've missed the "Salvation's Reach" that came out in 2012 it was never reprinted again.  "The Wamaster" came out in 2014 only as a hardcover, never as a paperback.  And this is the current state of the Gaunt's Ghosts series on the Black Library website:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Do you see a pattern or should I point it out to you?

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,577 posts
  • Chapter Name: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company
Pfft... kids here. I remember reading "Space Marine" on Papyrus.

Check out my Photobucket Here

DuskRaider's 40K Death Guard: A Return to the Past

DuskRaider's Word Bearers Shadow War Kill Team & INQ28 Chaos Coven

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

Morovir

Morovir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 278 posts

Nah, clay tablets are the way forward for all your modern reading needs.

ETL_2015_Banner_03d_Primus_Inter_Pares.jETL_2016_Banner_04_Primus_Inter_Pares.jp

sarabando

sarabando

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 368 posts

Nah, clay tablets are the way forward for all your modern reading needs.

my original copy of Inquisitor (the one with the SQUAT in it) was told to be by fire light sat in a cave by an elder passed down by his father from his father.

Reinhard

Reinhard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,725 posts

Oral traditon is where it's at, brethren.

Img_CH00_08Awards_03_ETL_2012B.gifgallery_29004_6198_5690.pngImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2012C.gifBT_Crusade_Expansion_VIII.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users