Competitive BA list discussion *Post-Codex*

CrimsonExarch

I have a pair of unbuilt Stormhawks which have long awaited being added to our codex. Upgunning the nose to a Las talon seems a no Brainer but what of the missles pods? Would they bring some effective metal box popping for my assault units to get at the tasty bits inside?

I guess it depends what other AT you have in your army. Bawkse popping is important but I find the AP of missile launchers just a bit too anaemic to be worth their points. I would be tempted to stick with the heavy bolters for added chaff clearance and save yourself the extra 30 points to spend on some more potent anti-tank.

Having said that, if your Stormhawks are your primary source of heavy weapons then the Typhoon Launchers may be necessary, even if they are a bit overpriced IMO.

Has anyone used Hellblasters yet? I'm considering a list which minimises vehicles and the hellblasters could fill the heavy support role to back up sanguard and DC.

The whirlwind - landspeeder stratagem could be huge with a Scorpius. These would be the only vehicles. Obvious disadvantages with hellblasters would be vulnerability to low S high wound count weaponry and more so if I move second and the jumpers are in deep strike, but everything has a vulnerability doesn't it.

One of the guys did a post on them over in the other thread - units you’ll always use, something like that. Highly recommends them. They generally seem the best of the Primaris Marines, but I myself haven’t picked them up yet.

I do have a Scorpius though, so let me know if you give that stratagem a try. Might have to buy a Landspeeder.

Has anyone used Hellblasters yet? I'm considering a list which minimises vehicles and the hellblasters could fill the heavy support role to back up sanguard and DC.

I love Hellblasters. I run the 5-man squad from DI in my Space Wolves and they rock. I would recommend a Repulsor to protect them from getting shot up on Turn 1 which could also form part of your firebase (I recommend lascannon loadout for long ranged anti-tank).

Back this lot up with a cheapish Captain (or Tycho) for rerolls (you really need to be able to overcharge to get the mileage out of Hellblasters) and ideally an ancient with the Standard of Sacrifice. If you have points, a cheap Sanguinary Novitiate or Primaris Apothecary is also good.

Now you have a squad with 2 wounds each, a 5+ FNP and the ability to heal lost wounds or even resurrect whole models and if a Hellbalster dies, he can make an extra shot on a 4+. Add a Scout squad or 2 for bubble wrapping and you are good to go! This costs just under 1000 points and gives you an impressive mobile firebase who can move up the field in support of your assault elements.

You might want to include another tank or two or the Repulsor will be the only target for your opponent's anti-tank meaning it will not last long. Alternatively, play an elitish army with SG as you will then have several multi-wound infantry squads who can then benefit from lascannons and plasma not being aimed at them.

Or as you say, go infantry heavy and just walk the Hellblasters up the board with a Scout screen to prevent them being alpha'ed. I would suggest that a Lascannon Dev squad would be good backup to deal with heavy vehicles.

Edited by Karhedronuk

So I've updated a list I was working on with a bit of a refresh now the points in battlescribe are correct.

Battallion, Spearhead & Vanguard Detachments, 2000pts, 8CP

Battallion

Mephiston

Lemartes

5 Tactical Marines: Lascannon

5 Scouts: CCW & Pistols

5 Scouts: 4 Sniper Rifles, Heavy Bolter

Spearhead

Captain: Jump Pack, Combi-Plasma, Thunder Hammer

5 Hellblasters

5 Hellblasters

Whirlwind

Vanguard

Need a HQ for about 150pts

12 Death Company: 2 Power Sword, 1 Power Fist, 1 Thunder Hammer

Primaris Ancient (Relic Banner)

9 Sternguard: All Special Bolters

-Drop Pod

==========

So I ditched the MSU Assault Squads to get maxxed out on Hellblasters by splitting them into two squads to get a Spearhead instead of an Outrider. Admittedly I could opt for an even cheaper HQ for the Vanguard and have something a little heavier than a Whirlwind if need be!

Originally I had the Sanguinor, but with the amount already put into HQ it feels a bit "special character spam" and his aura probably won't buff all that much. Maybe go for a Lieutenant instead...? Really max out those re-rolls and give the points to expand the 3rd Heavy Support choice a touch more?

NakedLiutanent and then add 4th Lascannons Tactical Squad (personally sense I see no Razors I’d go double Intercessor. And run the 2nd Hammer in Death Company fist). Run both Scout Squads naked. But have them be 2 7 Man. So then present enough of a threaten to be well scary. (I’d also think of turning two fists into 4 Swords so you can 2 PowSwords on Scouts).

I love Hellblasters. I run the 5-man squad from DI in my Space Wolves and they rock. I would recommend a Repulsor to protect them from getting shot up on Turn 1 which could also form part of your firebase (I recommend lascannon loadout for long ranged anti-tank).

Back this lot up with a cheapish Captain (or Tycho) for rerolls (you really need to be able to overcharge to get the mileage out of Hellblasters) and ideally an ancient with the Standard of Sacrifice. If you have points, a cheap Sanguinary Novitiate or Primaris Apothecary is also good.

Now you have a squad with 2 wounds each, a 5+ FNP and the ability to heal lost wounds or even resurrect whole models and if a Hellbalster dies, he can make an extra shot on a 4+. Add a Scout squad or 2 for bubble wrapping and you are good to go! This costs just under 1000 points and gives you an impressive mobile firebase who can move up the field in support of your assault elements.

You might want to include another tank or two or the Repulsor will be the only target for your opponent's anti-tank meaning it will not last long. Alternatively, play an elitish army with SG as you will then have several multi-wound infantry squads who can then benefit from lascannons and plasma not being aimed at them.

Or as you say, go infantry heavy and just walk the Hellblasters up the board with a Scout screen to prevent them being alpha'ed. I would suggest that a Lascannon Dev squad would be good backup to deal with heavy vehicles.

ooph, that is attractive. 

Have you or anyone else for that matter considered a non primaris version of this? I threw this together quickly, but may not be too appealing to those averse to Index units.

Vanguard Detachment- 471 pts

HQ-177pts

Captain with jump pack, master-crafted boltgun, chain sword

Lieutenant with jump pack, Master-crafted boltgun, chain sword

Elite-294 pts

Sanguinary Noviate with jump pack

Company Ancient with jump pack

5x Company Veterans with jump pack, 1 Combi-Plasma, 4 Plasma Guns, 5 Chainswords

It is an interesting option open to us BA players only, due to out Index JP units. We essentially retain the same 36" threat range with this set up, swapping 6" of shooting range for movement range. The only real disadvantage i can see is the loss of a wound per unit. That may be a deal breaker, but i personally like the baked in delivery system JP's add. An additional potential advantage is that, if there is no good target or the board state is not beneficial, they can be kept in reserve for the first 2 rounds, protecting them until they are needed. 

JP Plasma vets are good too but don't benefit nearly so much from the Banner or Sanguinary Novitiate being single-wound models.

As you say, the built in delivery system offered by the jump packs is the big bonus. I would run these guys just with just a JP Captain. They could make quite a nice bodyguard for Captain Smashypants. T1 they all drop in together and he buffs their shooting, in the following opponent's turn, they shield the Cap from enemy fire. T2 they move up and blow away another unit while Cap lines up his charge on something tasty.