Black Library Advent Calendar 2017

DarkChaplain

I don’t like that migration at all. Right now Mor is one of the coolest characters ever developed. He can only become less cool. He won’t get better with more narratives.

I have to agree. Many of the FW characters have just enough story to them that they're a complete package for me. Sure, make references to them, have the occasional cameo, but more than that has the likelihood of going very wrong.

I don’t like that migration at all. Right now Mor is one of the coolest characters ever developed. He can only become less cool. He won’t get better with more narratives.

I have to agree. Many of the FW characters have just enough story to them that they're a complete package for me. Sure, make references to them, have the occasional cameo, but more than that has the likelihood of going very wrong.

I don't think that's fair to say without there being an actual piece written about them. 

I haven't read the FW HH books so I've only seen Mor in Old Earth, but his depiction made me want to read more about him. At the time I actually thought that a Space Marines Characters novel based around him, ala Dante, would be good.

It depends on the author obviously, but there have been tons of things in HH and 40k that have been improved by further exploration/exposure. 

I don't think that's fair to say without there being an actual piece written about them.

I haven't read the FW HH books so I've only seen Mor in Old Earth, but his depiction made me want to read more about him. At the time I actually thought that a Space Marines Characters novel based around him, ala Dante, would be good.

It depends on the author obviously, but there have been tons of things in HH and 40k that have been improved by further exploration/exposure.

Some characters, especially darker ones, do better the less you know about them. It’s like the saying ‘never meet your heroes’, because it ruins your perception of them and the things you like about them. Like certain politicians that claim egalitarian purpose buying three houses and being famous here in DC for an appetite for fine meals and exclusive company.

Finished reading/listening to all of these (the 8 HH ones I mean), and I'm really pleased with this year's batch. In my opinion, not a single bad story in the bunch. Loved First Lord of the Imperium and Magisterium for their character work with Malcador and Valdor respectively (in fact if I have any complaint here, it's that I wish Magisterium could be expanded into something longer), Now Peals Midnight, Duty Waits and The Board is Set excellently set the tone for the looming Siege, Dreams of Unity was solid (and another where I wish more could have been done with the concept, to really build some more connection with the characters). Stone and Iron and A Lesson in Darkness didn't fit within the broader theme of building up to the Siege, but both did nice work with their respective Primarchs.

All the audios were up to the usual high standard of quality. I myself once had an attitude of not wanting to listen to them at all, I gave in and am very glad I did. If anyone else feels that way, I strongly advise dipping in, the audio dramas really are great quality.

Forgot to bring this up at the time, but one thing I wondered about while listening to Malcador: First Lord of the Imperium:

One of Malcador's adepts, Alum Karpin, is dismissed by Malcador, being told "You should return to your great work", which Malcador is looking forward to reading. Since it's an audio (and I don't think the character has appeared elsewhere) I can't be certain of the spelling, but if it is with the initials A.K., could this be the same A.K. who is, in-universe, responsible for the Forge World books?

Forgot to bring this up at the time, but one thing I wondered about while listening to Malcador: First Lord of the Imperium:

One of Malcador's adepts, Alum Karpin, is dismissed by Malcador, being told "You should return to your great work", which Malcador is looking forward to reading. Since it's an audio (and I don't think the character has appeared elsewhere) I can't be certain of the spelling, but if it is with the initials A.K., could this be the same A.K. who is, in-universe, responsible for the Forge World books?

It is that person,

How spoilerish is Magisterium for events in Master of Mankind? A little bit, or very much?

Not much. It benefits from being read with/alongside/with reference to MoM in that it covers similar subject matter, like the custodes self-image just before the battle of Terra. It doesn't spoil anything plot-wise beyond the very broadest strokes of the war in the webway, i.e. who 'won'. Valdor and Dorn are the main characters in both and they don't have a huge amount of screen time in MoM.

How spoilerish is Magisterium for events in Master of Mankind? A little bit, or very much?

Literally finished that one last night!

It depends, it's not a big spoiler really, but it being set afterwards means that it acknowledges the current state of those involved heavily.

I'd give MoM a read first though because:

1) it's incredible

2) context

======

On a side note, came here to post saying u really enjoyed Duty Waits, Now Peals Midnight as a look into how the Siege is affecting the palace leading up to it.

Also Endurance was a great look into the "humanity" of the Death Guard in contrast to the solo-minded determination of a loyalist marine.