How would Sanguinius's return be explained?

Kastor Krieg

Dark Imperium categorically states that the Emperor is still alive on the Throne, and his psychic might is far greater than it was during the Heresy. Guilliman was subjected to the Emperor "communicating" with him and it nearly killed him.

This isn't up for debate. He's still powering the Astronomicon.

Edited by Ishagu

That isnt completely true either... he was placed in stasis on the point of death, which could mean just after or just before. Heck, it could even mean when they realised he couldnt be saved normally but might live another few hours under normal circumstances. Either could be a valid interpretation.

Nah - he's specifically referred to as a "corpse" in a sidebar in the 2nd Ed Ultramarines Codex, and there's talk about his "death wounds." It's not extremely specific about anything (the aside's more about the Shrine of the Primarch), but it's pretty clear that Guilliman is not among the living. Things change, and it's close enough to not be a huge retcon, but a retcon it was.

Edited by Lexington

There has always been an in universe non McGuffin way to bring back the dead primarchs. The warp allows people in the material universe to summon demons/demon princes etc. by ritual and belief. This same principle applies to the Imperium. You just need people with enough faith and some kind of summoning/prayer ritual to bring them back. Think of them as angels instead of demons.

We've even seen some of this in the books. When the Big E needs help in the book "Master of Mankind" he summons help from the warp and you see the ghost of Ferrus Manus help him out. Since Sangy's body has been preserved in stasis it would make it even easier to summon his spirit back to come back into his body.

Bringing back a primarch through the prayer given to the God-Emperor is certainly safer and less prone to nasty surprises than through... the other way.

"So, we have nearly completed the ritual to return our noble father!"

"Did it have to include blood sacrifice?"

"I'm afraid so. I fear anything less won't be able to restore a shattered soul."

"Cleaning all this blood off my armor will take weeks."

"It'll be worth it, brother."

"And that shade of red seriously clashes with my cooking mittens."

"Shush! The primarch is rising!"

"I'm Horus. Bow before me mortals, and despair!"

"What?"

"I mean I'm Sanguinius. Totally totes."

"Of course. My Lyman's Ear has been playing up all month."

But Sanguinius' death (along with Ferrus, Curze & Horus) should be final. 

You are aware not one but two of these ships sailed years ago? :whistling:

Three if we count the fact Kurze's 'death' was kept deliberately vague and his current character arc in Ruinstorm points at him slowly accepting the fact the future can be changed and he might yet try something clever to try and throw a spanner in the works?

Really, I'd like Khan or Vulkan to come back first, but I won't be throwing tantrums if GW writers will go for some 'clever' plot twist. It's far more sensible position than clinging to your headcanon when it was entirely invalidated long ago then complaining the newest developments ignored it.

Dark Imperium categorically states that the Emperor is still alive on the Throne, and his psychic might is far greater than it was during the Heresy. Guilliman was subjected to the Emperor "communicating" with him and it nearly killed him.

In Vaults of Terra the Inquisition is freaking out over the Imperial Throne breaking, so much so they attempt assistance with xenos. So... fluff seems very scattered on the Emperor's status.

Three if we count the fact Kurze's 'death' was kept deliberately vague and his current character arc in Ruinstorm points at him slowly accepting the fact the future can be changed and he might yet try something clever to try and throw a spanner in the works?

Really, I'd like Khan or Vulkan to come back first, but I won't be throwing tantrums if GW writers will go for some 'clever' plot twist. It's far more sensible position than clinging to your headcanon when it was entirely invalidated long ago then complaining the newest developments ignored it.

Huh? Kurze is dead, we see that in the Nightlord Series.

Did I miss something for Ferrus?

Horus has always had the clone story (a clone is a clone...)

So no, other than the hideous Vulkan arc, what has changed?

In Vaults of Terra the Inquisition is freaking out over the Imperial Throne breaking, so much so they attempt assistance with xenos. So... fluff seems very scattered on the Emperor's status.

Oh, it's definitely breaking, and things aren't looking good for him...but he is still alive. And laughably powerful.

Nope, Curze is definitely dead. Numerous books have specifically mentioned his corpse, the Night Lord trilogy in particular. Hell, in the Night Lord trilogy the main characters title is specifically referring to how he reacts to the death of the Night Haunter. Curze can't be retconned without seriously invalidating basically every bit of info about what happened with the Legion post-Heresy. Not to mention that Curze avoiding his punishment goes against his entire ethos. It's not that he's trying to avoid his fate, it's that he's trying to prove that he's correct, that the only punishment for crimes is death, that the Emperor was no better than he was. After all, death is nothing compared to vindication.

Also, are you trying to imply Horus ain't dead? Sure, he got cloned by Fabius, but the clones, and all his research, got annihilated by the proto-Black Legion.

Ferrus is dead.

Yes, he is. But there's this little bit in Hand of Justice, the old Index Astartes article about the Iron Hands...

They perceive weakness in everything around them, and prepare for the day when Ferrus will at last return to them; that time when they will stand firm with their Primarch in the final reunification of Mankind.

According to their Scriptures, the moment the Emperor fell, the psychic shockwave was felt with such intensity that it reached Ferrus, even though he had left the realm of Man. An image of Ferrus appeared before his Legion, and his anguish and despair were unimaginable. It is said that this apparition spole of his fears for Mankind. He spoke of a great calamity, a darkness that would assail humanity at some unforeseen moment in the future and his promise that he would be there to lead humanity through its trials of darkness. Amongst the Iron Hands it it taught that he ascended to an unearthly paradise where he fights eternally, becoming ever stronger. And so it is said that Ferrus Manus left the world of Man, preparing for the time he is required again, that Time of Darkness when his light is needed most of all.

Nothing proves this apparition is indeed Ferrus Manus, the Warp and the Ruinous Powers inhabiting it being what they are, but there are foundations for his return, however outdated they may be.

I'd like to thank Deus Ex Ferrum for bringing this moment to my attention in some of his posts.

Edited by Knight of the Raven

Oh, it's definitely breaking, and things aren't looking good for him...but he is still alive. And laughably powerful.

You would think priority #1 for Guilliman is "fix dad's chair," but I don't think it's even gotten a mention.

Ferrus is dead.

Yes, he is. But there's this little bit in Hand of Justice, the old Index Astartes article about the Iron Hands...

They perceive weakness in everything around them, and prepare for the day when Ferrus will at last return to them; that time when they will stand firm with their Primarch in the final reunification of Mankind.

According to their Scriptures, the moment the Emperor fell, the psychic shockwave was felt with such intensity that it reached Ferrus, even though he had left the realm of Man. An image of Ferrus appeared before his Legion, and his anguish and despair were unimaginable. It is said that this apparition spole of his fears for Mankind. He spoke of a great calamity, a darkness that would assail humanity at some unforeseen moment in the future and his promise that he would be there to lead humanity through its trials of darkness. Amongst the Iron Hands it it taught that he ascended to an unearthly paradise where he fights eternally, becoming ever stronger. And so it is said that Ferrus Manus left the world of Man, preparing for the time he is required again, that Time of Darkness when his light is needed most of all.

Nothing proves this apparition is indeed Ferrus Manus, the Warp and the Ruinous Powers inhabiting it being what they are, but there are foundations for his return, however outdated they may be.

I'd like to thank Deus Ex Ferrum for bringing this moment to my attention in some of his posts.

Man....maybe that's the firetide.

Regarding Sanguinius, fluff has characters feeling the psychic backlash from Horus killing him with the Talon. My gut says you can't fake the Warp effect of a Primarch's death.

The cheap way for them out of the problem of Sanguinius being dead is to pull a Guilliman. He wasn't completely dead, he's in status basically exsanguinated, and his torment transcends the stasis. His sons experiencing his death is a side effect of their psychic link crying out for help. Cheesy, yes, but no more so than many other 40k things.

Alternate way out of it: the Alphas have shown ability to basically transform legionaries into copies of their Primarchs using Primarch blood. May be a thing specific to the XXth, or may be common to Astartes. Since BAs get a very watered down dose of Sanguinius' blood, maybe eventually one gets basically "possessed" by a "reborn" Sanguinius.

Not saying these would be /good/ ideas, but they're the kinds of things I could see GW having come to pass, because eventually the allure of molding their own money will probably be more than they can ignore.