How would Sanguinius's return be explained?

Kastor Krieg

Gabriel Seth wept.

He could not recall the last time tears left his eyes. He did not cry when the Apothecaries of the Flesh Tearers took him from his home. He did not cry as his organs reshaped themselves under the gene-forging of the Ascension. He did not cry when he ascended to Chapter Master and learned that his Chapter, in no uncertain terms, was dying. He certainly did not cry when he met Guilliman or his bastard Marines. They were not salvation.

This. This was salvation. 

Dozens of his Astartes lay dead in the earth of this miserable world, their sacred vitae mixing with the mud and offal of the war around them. Their weapons lay still in their cold hands. The few that still lived formed a circle around Seth and had fought a desperate defense so that perhaps the Storm Ravens might make it to their position on time. But no Storm Ravens broke through the cloudy skies. No, something far greater descended towards them now. 

Seth heard tales of the Sanguinor and even once witnessed it fighting alongside the Flesh Tearers in the frigid glaciers of Ootov Prime. But the figure that sped down from the skies now only resembled that figure in vague terms. It wore the gold of the Sanguinary Guard and wielded a massive blade, but the face... 

It was Sanguinius. Gabriel Seth had never been so certain of anything in all his life. If any doubts still remained, they disappeared when the figure touched down and began carving a path through the enemy singlehandedly. Where the Sanguinor fought with the silence of the grave, the Primarch fought with fury and passion. His first words filled Seth's heart in an instant. 

"You are my sons! Fight with me!" 

It was as simple as that for Seth. Sometimes, he thought, one must not seek out answers. One must simply have faith. And he had faith in Sanguinius' words.

Gabriel Seth wept. And Gabriel Seth fought. And Gabriel Seth's Primarch lived.

My boy Seth, would never weep. :p

Bawling? No way.

Slaughter his enemies with a few manly tears on his face? Sure, I could see that.

I mean, how would you feel if you thought your dad was dead and he popped up unexpectedly to kick some heretic/xenos/daemon buttocks at your side?

Just wanted to point out that weeping used to be manly as feck (shows up in Authurian legends for example). It's only in the last hundred years or so that it's turned into something that we make fun of guys for doing. So yeah, Seth shedding manly tears as emotion overcomes him would be manly enough to get a pass. I mean it's not like he's watching romantic comedies and crying over the obligatory sad scene.

Just wanted to point out that weeping used to be manly as feck (shows up in Authurian legends for example). It's only in the last hundred years or so that it's turned into something that we make fun of guys for doing. So yeah, Seth shedding manly tears as emotion overcomes him would be manly enough to get a pass. I mean it's not like he's watching romantic comedies and crying over the obligatory sad scene.

Look, my room has gotten dusty when I've read a few of ADBs books...but Sanguinius would bring different tears...angry ones. :p

Look, my room has gotten dusty when I've read a few of ADBs books...but Sanguinius would bring different tears...angry ones. :tongue.:

At least "psychic manifestation of his son's rage" would work better than any attempt to bring back Ferrus. I mean his skull is being used as a recaff pot at this point.

Look, my room has gotten dusty when I've read a few of ADBs books...but Sanguinius would bring different tears...angry ones. :tongue.:

At least "psychic manifestation of his son's rage" would work better than any attempt to bring back Ferrus. I mean his skull is being used as a recaff pot at this point.

'Work' in the context of the universe as we know it (40K that is) sure.

I just refuse to accept it would make the setting better.

There are other seeded 'Primarch will return when...' events, use THOSE. Leave the dead, dead.

Considering the nature of the Primarchs and that Vulkan was/is immortal, the death of a Primarch might not even be as permanent as we thought. Or we could just go "wibbly wobbly timey wimey" and pull them straight from 30k via warp shenanigans leading to there being two of everyone, but that seems too Orky to fly for the Imperium.

In a surprise to nobody, I'm not a huge fan of the Vulkan (Lives!) story arc either :tongue.:

Ferrus, and the other 2 lost Primarchs, would seem to put some doubt into 'Primarch's are Perpetuals' anyway.

On the flipside Guilliman recovering as well has he has (with just a smidge of Eldar help) shows that they can be pulled back from the brink more than we should expect.

Plus considering that Daemon Primarchs stand over more Daemon Princes, it can be argued that even their souls are enhanced meaning there are warp tainted ways to drag them back.

Vulkan was permanently killed by John

Had Artellus not traded his life for Vulkan, he would have stayed dead

Would anybody be okay if Dante, Arkios and Seth sacrificed their lives to bring back a weakened Sanguinius?

The Iron Hands Chapter Master along with several CMs of Successor Chapters for a much weaker Ferrus Manus?

Vulkan was permanently killed by John

Had Artellus not traded his life for Vulkan, he would have stayed dead

Would anybody be okay if Dante, Arkios and Seth sacrificed their lives to bring back a weakened Sanguinius?

The Iron Hands Chapter Master along with several CMs of Successor Chapters for a much weaker Ferrus Manus?

Wasn't there a specific thread for these theories and "What ifs" of yours? Can't really see how Ferrus Manus and his ressurection are relevant here.

On topic, I wouldn't be so disinclined to see Sanguinius return, but seeing as he is sort of the Messianic figure of the setting, I'd like to have his return be much more mystical/mythological than any of the other primarchs. Say, have him being reborn/brought back to life through the will of the Emperor that is directed by all the faith and prayers put into Sanguinius on a dayly/yearly basis (Isn't Sanguinala one of, if not the most important celebration for the Imperium of Mankind). Have him rise back from the dead and lead all the chapters derived from his blood on a terrible warpath against the enemies of mankind, and maybe put some more emphasise on Sanguinius' vampiric/dark nature.

I’m divided on Sanguinius possibly returning, in my opinion they haven’t done him justice in the Heresy novels so far but there’s still the siege of Terra left.

If he did return I would do it as a warp ghost/ loyalist Deamon Primarch like the sanguinor or Celestine, but I wouldn’t link him directly to the Emperor so as not to step on Celestines toes.

Sanguinius and his sons always had a sort of psychic link so I’d say that link survived his death, it is that link that gives the BA the Black Rage but it also keeps Sanguinius soul whole and strong in the warp.

However the BA Primaris don’t have that link so I’d do an event or novel where Sanguinius soul is fading because normal marines are being replaced by Primaris, Sanguinius would of course be willing to fade away to save his sons but the Primaris find out and willingly embrace the connection to Sanguinius resulting in them getting the Black Rage but that strengthens Sanguinius soul to such an extent he is able to manifest in material space when his sons are in desperate need.

What I really don’t want is a full and proper living resurrection, that would feel a bit cheep.

Ultimately for me if they tell a good story they can do anything, bring back Sanguinius, Horus, Ferrus or Curze. Make Lorgar a loyalist anything. Some of those things are a lot harder to do convincingly than others, a few are almost impossible but if the story was good enough I’d accept it.

There's a line in "The Board is Set" where Revelation (the Emperor) is considering the Iron General after his death (Ferrus Manus), and states that "perhaps I'll fix that later when I have the time", and although there's the chance that he's speaking only about the shattered piece, there's the implication that he's talking about Ferrus himself.

If this truly is the case, then even proper death may not be the end for the Primarchs, if the Emperor can get back to work.

I’m divided on Sanguinius possibly returning, in my opinion they haven’t done him justice in the Heresy novels so far but there’s still the siege of Terra left.

If he did return I would do it as a warp ghost/ loyalist Deamon Primarch like the sanguinor or Celestine, but I wouldn’t link him directly to the Emperor so as not to step on Celestines toes.

Sanguinius and his sons always had a sort of psychic link so I’d say that link survived his death, it is that link that gives the BA the Black Rage but it also keeps Sanguinius soul whole and strong in the warp.

However the BA Primaris don’t have that link so I’d do an event or novel where Sanguinius soul is fading because normal marines are being replaced by Primaris, Sanguinius would of course be willing to fade away to save his sons but the Primaris find out and willingly embrace the connection to Sanguinius resulting in them getting the Black Rage but that strengthens Sanguinius soul to such an extent he is able to manifest in material space when his sons are in desperate need.

What I really don’t want is a full and proper living resurrection, that would feel a bit cheep.

Ultimately for me if they tell a good story they can do anything, bring back Sanguinius, Horus, Ferrus or Curze. Make Lorgar a loyalist anything. Some of those things are a lot harder to do convincingly than others, a few are almost impossible but if the story was good enough I’d accept it.

I actually agree with this; if done properly, it could be done well; but doing it properly is the key, not retconning everything like Disney seems to enjoy doing.