Advice for a noob

STTAB

Gentleman,

I've just started putting together a grey knights army. Age 8-12 I collected, painted and even played a couple of games of warhammer/warhammer 40k. At 33, I am a very busy dude and need some hobby time.

I've been picking up bits and pieces to get to work on building a 1250 list to become the core of a 2000 list... Here's what I'm thinking.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) [59 PL, 1075pts] ++

+ HQ +

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight [14 PL, 290pts]: Dreadfist, Dreadknight teleporter, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Daemon Greathammer, Sanctuary, Warlord

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight [14 PL, 290pts]: Dreadfist, Dreadknight teleporter, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Daemon Greathammer, Sanctuary, Warlord

+ Troops +

Strike Squad [7 PL, 105pts]: Gate of Infinity

. 4x Grey Knight (Falchions): 4x Storm Bolter

. Grey Knight Justicar: Storm bolter, Two Nemesis Falchions

+ Elites +

Apothecary [5 PL, 90pts]: Gate of Infinity, Nemesis Warding Stave

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 90pts]: Hunter-killer missile, Storm Bolter, Twin Heavy Bolter

++ Total: [59 PL, 1075pts] ++

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Inquisition) [8 PL, 79pts] ++

+ HQ +

Inquisitor [5 PL, 55pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Psyker

+ Elites +

Acolytes [1 PL, 8pts]

. Acolyte: Chainsword, Laspistol

Acolytes [1 PL, 8pts]

Acolytes [1 PL, 8pts]

++ Total: [8 PL, 79pts] ++

+

Eversor Assassin [4 PL, 70pts]

+

Crusaders [1 PL, 30pts]

. 2x Crusaders: 2x Power sword

++ Total: [1 PL, 30pts] ++

1250 on the nose.

A few questions if you would be so kind

My thoughts are to leave the Inquisitor, Acolytes and crusaders in the razorback on the table and deepstrike everything else... Will they be able to survive an alpha strike if I don't get first turn?

You lose if you have nothing left on the table... The assasins are hiding on the table before you deploy... Would that stop you from being tabled turn 1? (Wishful thinking?)

Maybe leave the Apothecary on the board too and then gate him in... Can Apothecary's bring dead single units back to life, such as another Apothecary? I assume they can heal themselves?

So far I have 20 PAGK and extra falscions, a lone apothecary, chains swords and pistols for the acolytes and deathwatch storm shields for the crusaders. I'm thinking scions to convert for the acolytes and crusaders and the deathwatch razorback in inquisition colours.

I am not 100% on the dreadknight models but I've been bidding on some forgeword iron circles for conversion. Right now I'm just looking for targets of opportunity untill I get the rest of the army painted.

A single Razor might not survive. It all depends on your opponent.

Nope the assassin would be in reserves and not deployed.

Yup. And Apoths can heal themselves. I'd swap yours to having a Hammer. You won't regret it. And deep strike him with the rest.

You could always drop the Personal Teleporters on the GMNDK and start them on the board with the Razor. I don't teleport mine in any more, but use them for mobile durable reroll bubbles.

Edit. Crusader can't ride in a GK razor. They don't have the 'by the authority' rule that Inquisitors and Acolytes have.

Edited by Gentlemanloser

Thanks for the feedback.

I'd be worried about leaving a GMNDK on the table with the razorback as that would be the best target.

I was thinking the Apothecary with stave would be quite hard to kill and could heal up if he survives... I'll see if I can fit in a hammer.

Any thoughts on some other cheap and durable imperial units to leave behind? I like the inquisition with their authority... I was going for 2 razors and 2 inquisitors with acolytes for the 2000 list.

• 2 weeks later...

Some advice I'd give for people building a new army that don't mind ebay and have the money is to bid on a whole army rather than build it unit by unit.  You get so much more bang for your buck by bidding on a whole army, there are some real steals to be found because people would rather sell it all at once than bit by bit.  By my estimate you would spend about half by getting an army at once and then filling in with what it doesn't have here or there.

I'll keep my eye out but I already have all my troops.

I'm switching tack to having a Grey Knights battalion, acolytes and inquisition themed Space Marines (raven guard chapter tactics, -1 to hit). Vanguard of 5 individual Acolytes with a Primaris Rhino (raven guard tactics) as HQ.

At the 1500 list the raven guard Patrol has a captain, lieutenant, 2 shooty dreads and 1 unit of sniper scouts. Plan is to run a firebase with dreads, captain, lieutenant and Primaris Rhino buffing with acolytes screening charges and deepstrikes while the Grey Knights do work.

Dropped the GMNDKs for an all infantry characters and 3 strikes.

I'll keep my eye out but I already have all my troops.

I'm switching tack to having a Grey Knights battalion, acolytes and inquisition themed Space Marines (raven guard chapter tactics, -1 to hit). Vanguard of 5 individual Acolytes with a Primaris Rhino (raven guard tactics) as HQ.

At the 1500 list the raven guard Patrol has a captain, lieutenant, 2 shooty dreads and 1 unit of sniper scouts. Plan is to run a firebase with dreads, captain, lieutenant and Primaris Rhino buffing with acolytes screening charges and deepstrikes while the Grey Knights do work.

Dropped the GMNDKs for an all infantry characters and 3 strikes.

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen (and possibly ladies), a question if may?

A little confusion over transport rules in 8th.

In your turn you can embark infantry onto a transport "at the end of their movement". Can the transport then move after infantry have embarked on that same turn?

I'm planning on running acolytes as a deepstrikes/charge/smite screen on the back and sides for a space marine fire base. 2 venerable a (Auto/las) a Primaris Rhino, jump pack Captain and jump pack lieutenant. Scouts 9" front.

If the the dreads are taken out then the rhino is to charge forward with the captain and lieutenant, I'd like to take the acolytes to the part too but I am not 100% on the rules.

Also, I'm seriously considering dropping the battalion for an interceptor heavy outrider detachment;

Voldus

Draigo

Apothecary (first to the fray, curiass, deamon hammer)

10 interceptors (falscions, sanctuary)

5 interceptors (falscions, astral aim)

5 interceptors (falscions, hammerhand)

I see a lot of fun and versatility to be had.

Got 20 strikes mostly assembeled (blutacking packs/teleporters for now), an apothecary and lots of bits for custom captain, liutenant, 10 scouts, Scion heads for scouts and lots of bits and pieces.

Gentlemen (and possibly ladies), a question if may?

A little confusion over transport rules in 8th.

In your turn you can embark infantry onto a transport "at the end of their movement". Can the transport then move after infantry have embarked on that same turn?

Yes, they can. You cannot, however, move your transport first and embark after. You may already be aware, but that's currently a limiting factor in alpha striking things that can't be deepstriking or otherwise popping on the board :) (and for good reason, of course)

I think the interceptor shunt says "instead of moving during your movement phase" locked in combat means no movement phase so therefore can't shunt?..

But ya GoI can be used to escape for combat.

Edited by Soder

The rulebook FAQ allows actions done instead of shooting to be performed whether the model chooses not to shoot or cannot shoot, so applying the same to movement, you should be able to use the Personal Teleporters rule to teleport shunt when within 1" of an enemy model. Edited by Mr. Shine

• 5 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

I've got my Grey Knights detachment almost ready for action.

Going for a patrol;

GM w/ hammer. Warlord, First to the fray, curiass.

Strike squad *5, 4 falscions, 1 warding stave

Interceptors *9 , 9 falscions, 1 warding stave.

505 points.

This is a very mobile force with the GM and interceptors deep striking, the GM can gate with the interceptors doing their shunt. The interceptors will be casting sanctuary on themselves and the strikes are screen for another deep strike element.

About to pull the trigger on dark angels as an ally ( already have scouts and bits for master)

I've posted the 1495 point force to go with the grey knights force on the dark angels list page. In the end Dark angels suited best for the kind of game I want to play.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/343936-advice-please-noobs-unusual-dark-angels-and-grey-knights/?do=findComment&comment=4998330

The below is very tempting too;

GMNDK (first to the fray, gate)

Apothecary (hammer, curiass)

3, 5 man interceptors

Same principles but with more dread and the apothecary can join one assault and then get left behind to do his own thing.

Just found a picture of the 8th codex interceptor page. They have the teleport strike ability.

You are correct, I had Purifiers in mind for some bizarre reason. Apologies! Been a long day :) .