The Dreaded 49th

Plague _Lord

After the events of the fall of Cadia and the destruction of Belis Corona by Typhus the Arch Plague Lord Mortatrion had his eyes set upon Macragge and the soon to be corpse of his brother - gilly man. Even though the invasion was brutal and intense not all of Mortarions forces were set upon the boys in blue. The primarch of plagues had sent some of his lieutenants in a flanking manouvre around the outskirts of the imperium secundus to strike against Macragge's lightlty defended agro worlds. Chief among these commanders was Plague Lord Bale - a hulking warrior of great stature but also of acute tactical and strategic prowess.

This move however did not go as planned - instead of finding resource-rich agri worlds to corrupt, the forces of Lord Bale had come into direct contact with not only Ultramarines, but also Filthy greenskins and naive tau expansion forces.

With these threats at hand, the Plague Lord readies his forces...

Hi guys! Long time Deathguard player here! I got into the hobby after reading an article in white dwarf that showcased the deathguard (this was some 10 yeras ago I think). Before that I was solely playing WFB (oh GW what ahve you done! :sad.: ). Finally after the long wait, we get our own codex with amazing minis a fun new units.

The first new plague marine I've painted below:

gallery_94482_13987_70418.jpg

gallery_94482_13987_46990.jpg

I still need to get that cool technical paint - nihilide oxide (or something like that) and slap it on the icon and possibly weapons to make em stand out.

Not good at doing pics of minis with my phone unfortunatly but will post up regular updates of the 49th along with fluff and daemon serfs.

Cheers,

PL

Edited by Plague _Lord

Glad to have you, and that plague marine looks great!

I got into the hobby after reading an article in white dwarf that showcased the deathguard (this was some 10 yeras ago I think). Before that I was solely playing WFB (oh GW what ahve you done! :sad.: ). Finally after the long wait, we get our own codex with amazing minis a fun new units.

Was it this article, by any chance? I remember reading that in WD 290 when I was a kiddo and it also inspired me to make my own Nurgle army.

Glad to have you, and that plague marine looks great!

I got into the hobby after reading an article in white dwarf that showcased the deathguard (this was some 10 yeras ago I think). Before that I was solely playing WFB (oh GW what ahve you done! :sad.: ). Finally after the long wait, we get our own codex with amazing minis a fun new units.

Was it this article, by any chance? I remember reading that in WD 290 when I was a kiddo and it also inspired me to make my own Nurgle army.

Yes! Well that,s just the tactics part. There was also a cool story from the perspective of an imperial guard officer, getting attacked by plague marines and pick's of Ryan's epic death guard and that really got me into 40k

Working now on more plague marines and finishing of my Land Raider. Am thinking of either a CC weapon armed squad with a tallyman to put in it or a dual heavy spewer unit to drive up and shoot pus.

Oh man, I miss deathguard.org :sad.:

Yeah, same here :sad.:

I present you with the latest finished piece of the 49th's arsenal:

The Castigator of Souls

An ancient machine that remembers the time of the horus heresy. One of the few vehicles that managed to cross into the imperial palace during the great siege, the Castigator is truly a relic of great importance to the Death Guard. Following the events of the horus heresy, the crew of this marvelous machine was rewarded by daemonhood in most grotesque fashion - the soul of every crewmember was fused and welded into a single, corporeal form - the Daemon Prince Kug'llax'Rok. It was their fate however to be binded for eternity with, their machine, since such a powerful tank, could only be possessed by the most powerful of daemons...

Rumour has it that each time The CAstigator is destroyed on the battlefield, a rift opens in real space and a tongue like tentacle wraps around the smouldering remains only for them to be reforged on the 49th's battle ship...

gallery_94482_13987_50184.jpg

gallery_94482_13987_95797.jpg

gallery_94482_13987_104724.jpg

I'm having trouble getting my land raider into my list... it just costs so many points...

Was thinking about it either ferrying a LoC, 7 melee plague marines and a tallyman or a LoC and Deathshroud. Thoughts?

I like the fluff piece! A lot of people think land raiders are overcosted (and given the prevalence of lascannons in most metas, I tend to agree). But you might want to at least try it out. In smaller games the land raider tends to be a menacing behemoth, in bigger games they tend to get popped very quickly. As for what to put inside, melee plague marines will be a bit cheaper and might otherwise struggle to get to the forefront of battle. Deathshroud aren't bad, but a big part of their role is protecting vital characters.

• 2 weeks later...

If you do run Deathshroud in the Raider, let us know how it goes, I'd be very interested to see how it plays out.

And well done on the paintjob!

Need to buy some deathshroud first ;)

Hadn't had much time for painting but managed to do some plague marines... not happy with the plasma look just yet.

gallery_94482_13987_73146.jpg

• 3 months later...

I can see why you might want to keep perfecting the plasma lighting effect, kinda looks like pepto-bismol. But I love how the rust and their helmets look!

I actually had to google what pepto-bismol is :D

I think I've improved the plasma effect on the marines...

I have been busy...

gallery_94482_13987_309729.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ok so it looks like I'll be playing my second game in 8th tommorrow. I'll be facing Adeptus mechanicus for the first time ever.

Here's my list:

Battalion Detachment

HQ:

Lord of Contagion: 130pts

+plaguereaper

Malignant Plaguecaster: 110pts

+miasma of pestilence, blades of putrefaction.

Troops:

7xPlague Marines: 194pts

+2xblight launcher, flail of corruption, great plague cleaver, Champ - Plasma pistol, powerfist.

7xPlague Marines: 159pts

+ 2xplagma gun, Champ.- Plasma, plague sword.

20xPoxwalkers: 120pts

Heavy Support:

Land Raider: 367pts

+havoc auncher

Elites:

3xDeathshroud Terminators: 180pts

Fast attack:

1x Blight Haulers: 142pts

1x Blight Haulers: 142pts

Patrol Detachment Nurgle Daemons

HQ:

Great Unclean One: 325

+ Bilesword, Bileblade

Troops:

3x Nurglings: 54pts

10xPlaguebearers: 70pts.

that 7pts shy of 2k. Now the plan is to have a blight hauler with eatch PM squad and move them up to the midfield to grab objectives. Not sure what to do with the GuO - was thinking about DS and nurgles rot power but I think having him from the start and casting miasma and healing should work as a nice distraction carnifex. So both the land radier and GuO will have -1 to hit wich will hopefully let them live a turn or two.

I could chuck the GuO for plaguedrones, beasts, horticuluous (dont have any trees though), more plaguebearers and a herald. That would give me more CPs but I have 8 anyway so don't know if it's worth it.

So what can I expect from ad mech? I know that robots are good n shooty bu what else should I be weary of?

Ok so I had the game I mentioned above, using the exact list above.

My opponents list wass more or less:

Mars battalion - Cawl, techpreist dominus, 2 Dunecrawlers with icarus arrays, 3 5man vanguards with plasma, 10 shooty priests

Stygies battalion - 2 tech priest enginseers, 2 flamer/fist robots with dataengineer, 3 5man vanguards, 3 dragoons

Knight detachments - 2 armigers with the new weapon profiles.

We were playing a local tournament ruleset that basically changed D3 VP maelstrom cards into a set 2 VPs.

6 objectives were placed on the board.

My deployment below:

gallery_94482_14671_404061.jpg

I started holding 2 objectives in my deployment zone (poxwalkers on far left, plaguebearers on far right and nurglings on centre objective). He had a lot of his units in stygies infiltration so its was hard to guess where his hard hitters would deploy. I played a somewhat refused flank - counting on holding the left flank with obsec zombies as long a possible and focusing on the centre and right (where his warlord was hiding). I used up 2 of my 8 CPs to put the GuO into deep strike. Below you can see the plaguebearers on the right hand objective.

gallery_94482_14671_871114.jpg

His diployment (after stygies shenanigans):

gallery_94482_14671_1052533.jpg

Yeah... my poxwalkers were goners... he deployed his robots and datasmith right next to my plaguebearers. Looks like his hard hitters were going for my weakest troops. I had to make a choice - help them or go for his lines. I had much less drops so won the roll to go first. He also fails to seize the initiative... that's a first for me! We agree upon dawn of war deployment (-1 to hit in the first round). I move up my forces - each plaguemarine squad has an accompanying blight hauler to make em much more tougher. The land raider with lord of corruption (I took -1dmg for his warlord trait) and deathguard chooses to go right of the central chaos rift. My plague caster tries to pull off miasma on the land raider but fails, I do manage to get off smite and do 3 MW to a castellan robot. The land raider then finishes it off with a nice lascannon hit. I fail to do any more with my shooting.

In his turn he moves up his dragoons, armigers and remainig robot. He really wants to kill the land raider (every one wants to do it in every game!!) so he puts nearly every gun on it resulting in a total of 5 unsaved wounds. The electrpriests burn the nurglings off the central objective with help of the Wrath of Mars stratagem and the lone robot flames a plaguebearer. In the assault phase he tries to charge both armigers into the Land Raider but only one makes it - he rolled a 12 and managed to also tie up my plague marines and blighthauler... I hadn't seen that comming. The dragoons charge the poxwalkers, while the lone robot trundles into the plaguebearers. After a tonne of attacks from all of hits units (really they hit like bricks) I lost 11 poxwalkers, a few plaguebearers and the Raider was down to 5 wounds left. My plague marines obviously fail to damage the armiger with some really bad rolls on my part.

At the end of turn 1 however I was leading 5 to 4 in VP.

With the beginning of turn 2 things weren't looking good. I had 3 units locked in a melee I hadn't intended so I pull out blight hauler, keeping the plague marines in combat. My LoC and deathguard jump out and head straight for the second armiger. The blight hauler moves closer to help the beleaguered plaguebearers on the right. I cant see a good spot for the GuO to drop so I keep him in reserve for now. The plague marines in the centre move up closer to another midfield objective. This is how the battlefield looks after my moves:

gallery_94482_14671_1828441.jpg

In my psychic phase I cast miasma on the deathguard and blades on putrefaction on the plague marines. My shooting does litte aside from a blight hauler missile doing 3 damage to a dunewalker and a few sciatrii dying to bolters/plasma. In the assault phase my plaguemarines manage to bring the armiger down to 6 wounds while the deathshroud obliterate the other armiger... really the LoC didn't even get a chance to swing. Boy are they brutal on the charge. In the other combats he kills all but 3 zombies and another plaguebearer dies.

In his turn he runs the electropriests up to the deathshroud just so all have range. The rest of his forces rearrange just so the have better firing lanes on my terminators. He uses wrath of mars, cawl rerolls and despite having -2 to hit (advancing and miasma) he manages to dish out 7! mortal wounds on the deathshroud... i fail to roll a single DR roll and they go poof. The rest of his army focuses on bringing down the LoC, but thanks to his warlord trait, manage to only bring him down to 2 wounds. Now this is where it starts to get shady... my opponent charges with his electropriests (are they allowed to after advancing?) and I of course fluff my DR rolls and the LoC dies to mortal wounds. He manages to kill the rest of the poxwalkers and only the plaguebearer champ is left on the rightside objective. My plaguemarine with great plague cleaver takes 6 wounds off of the armiger and they consolidate towards the centre.

At the end of turn 2 I am starting to lose 9 VP to 13 VP (he had a card that required him to kill my warlord among other things... he scored 9 VPs this round).

sneaky gits attacking from behind!

gallery_94482_14671_1901161.jpg

Turn 3 starts and its time for payback!

gallery_94482_14671_403292.jpg

I move my forces up and really am in need of VPs now. I drop the GuO next to the central objective and heal a wound off of the blighthauler. My right flank move up to the elctropriests en masse, while my left hand side unit of plague marines gets on to an objective and lets loose into some vanguard reducing them to mulch. My central blighthauler takes some more wounds off of the wounded dune crawler and then charges into some vanguard. I put miasma on my land raider and smite the electropriests but he passes his FnP saves. I then use blight bombardment on the marines near the priests for a total of... 10 shots... they naturally do nothing. The rest of my shooting pours in them killing 4 and then I assault them with everything I have killing... 1. Yeah 5 plaguemarines, a plaguecaster and a blighthauler manage to kill 1 toughness 3 infantry dude. He did make his FnP saves like crazy. He kills 2 in return but thankfully he rolls a 6 on his morale test and the rest flee.

gallery_94482_14671_1658045.jpg

In his turn he destroys my left hand plaguemarines in one charge from his dragoons. He shoots everything he has into my plague marines and blighthauler but thanks to the daemonic engine they are as tough as terminators and only 1 falls. He manages to kill the last plaguebearer and now controls 5/6 objectives....

Turn 3 ends with me losing 13 VPS to 18 VPs... so I'm still in the game.

On my turn 4 I concieve a cunning plan. It was a big gambit but if it worked then it would be glorious!! I move my plaguecaster into a position in which he is shielded from enemy fire by plaguemarines, is in the blighthaulers putrescent aura and is within 7'' of all of his units on the flank, including his enginseer warlord. But first the psychic phase... I try to cast miasma on the plaguemarines... snake eyes! Fortunately I only take 1 mortal wound from perils. I then try to cast smite into the nearest vanguard squad only to roll... snake eyes again!! I take 2 mortal wounds leaving him on his last... that was bad but worse was only to come... The shooting phase starts nicely with the landraider taking 10 wounds off a dunecrawler (despite hitting on 5s) and killing 5 scitarii with it's anti-infantry guns. Now was the time to shine! Nurgle great plan would unfurl! I use my last 3 CPs to cast nurgle's rot onto the mortal world only to fail every roll... I had 7 units lined up and thought that at best would decimate his forces, while at worst maybe only damage a few but I literally did 0 damage. To add insult to injury I failed to kill a single scitarii in the assault phase with my plague marines, plaguecaster and blight hauler, while the GuO which charged cawl managed to bring him down to 1 wound despite 3 bilesword hits going through cawl's inv save... after this I concede. There was no way I could get back into the game and it was running late anyway.

All in all a very fun game! In hindsight a made a BIG mistake at the start by DSing the GuO. That was 3 turns in which 320pts were useless. My opponent deployed his chaff really well and didn't give me a good spot to drop him in. If I put him out from the start then he would have a huge "shoot me" sign but at least could help out with the knights/dragoons/robots. My bad. The blight hauler did the dirty work for me this game and were very usefull - making my infantry as hard as terminators, picking off wounds from both infantry and vechicles alike and then getting stuck in combat. Their speed is very nice and catched my opponent off guard. The Deathshorud were brutal - killing an armiger with ease... shame I can't make saves with them though. I might actually put a surgeon with them next time. The landraider was great - it did what it suppossed to do, that is get my terminators into combat, draw a lot of fire and shoot stuff dead. In the end it actually dealt a lot of wounds out and having 4 lascannon on a mobile platform is nice to have.

Sadly the lord of corruption is just bad. He's going to be a terminator lord from now on that will be waltzing with the plaguemarines on foot (my shooting was bad, I rolled a tonne of ones). Plaguebearers do 0 damage in combat, either go 30 of them with plaguebanner or go home. Poxwalkers are good objective holder and nothing more.

I plan on making my list pure DG by adding a DP, drone and plagueburst crawler instead of the GuO.

Cheers,

PL

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, the Plague Marines look good! I've been lurking around for quite some time now, and finally made an account for comments. It looks like you've painted the armor plating in a sorta streaking, light pattern. How did you go about doing this?

• 5 months later...

Hey, the Plague Marines look good! I've been lurking around for quite some time now, and finally made an account for comments. It looks like you've painted the armor plating in a sorta streaking, light pattern. How did you go about doing this?

Hi, sorry for not writing back but have been away for some time... My technique with the marines is sloppy (just as planned) -> XV88 base, then drybrush ogryn camo, drybrush a mix of ogryn camo and ushabti bone and then a final drybrush of bone. Somewhere in between I give a wash of agrax earthshade. It gives this nice sort of bright but dead colour.

I'm coming back to my DG with the changes in CA. It seems I have around 140pts to spend! The current looks like this:

Battalion Detachment

HQ: 220pts.

Lord of Chaos: 110pts

+plaguebringer, Arch Contaminator, combi-melta, terminator armour.

Troops:

7xPlague Marines: 182pts

+2xblight launcher, flail of corruption, great plague cleaver, Champ - Plasma pistol, powerfist.

7xPlague Marines: 146pts

Heavy Support:

Land Raider: 303pts

+havoc auncher

Plagueburt crawler: 140pt

+ 2xplaguespitters, heavy slugger.

Elites:

3xDeathshroud Terminators: 180pts

Outrider Detachment:

Daemon Prince: 180pts

+Wings, Supparating plate, 2xMalefic talons

Fast attack:

1x Blight Haulers: 117pts

1xFoetid Bloat Drone: 158pts

+2x plaguespitters, plague probe

Now to get to 2k pts I think I have 3 options:

a)  Put another plagueburst crawler and just jamm more armour down my enemies throat. Possibly the AT variant?

b) Get a 3rd plague marine squad - this gives me more troops to cover objectives better. I tend to push my forces to the mid ground always so either plasma guns or blight launchers.

c) Add some characters - Possibly a foul blightspawn and tallyman to go with the deathshroud in the LR. Excess points could be used to summon nurglings.

Any ideas?

Cheers PL

I like the Blightspawn but what about a helbrute or a LoC? The LoC would have 5 attacks if he's cruising around with the Deathshroud.

I used to play the LoC but he was just so bad and the deathshroud easily killed anything I wanted dead, on their own.

A chaos lord in termi armour is just better and more efficient. Especially with tge plague reaper and combi melta - he is a quite noce counter attack for my adcancong lines.

I think I will go for the extra plague marines with blight launchers for more utility althiugh that blight spawn is tickling the dirty areas of my mind...

• 2 weeks later...

I see your list posted from jan 2019, 3 death shrouds should only be 156pts not 180, 35+17 x3, that should free up some points. Also a chaos lord in terminator armor cannot have a plague reaper, only stuff from the terminator melee list (balesword, chainfist, lightning claw, and power weapons). Only the lord of contagion, whose the same points now as a chaos lord in terminator armor can have a plague reaper. I did enjoy your bat rep with ad mech. My brother plays ad mech and it is sometimes a pain to play him with his robot shenanigans.

And you're right, even with the point drop lord of contagion is still a little lack luster with no reroll one's aura or ranged weapon. But if you get the 9" charge off, he does do some decent melee damage. I find Typhus much better. For 60-63 more points he gives you the destroyer hive, 2 spells and 1 deny (dropping him in with 10 blight lord terminators and getting off blades and miasma/vitality can be game changing sometimes), pox walker buff, AND his master crafted man reaper has 1 more strength then a plague reaper.

Your 2000pts list is similar to mine. I don't have a lord, pox walkers, land Raider or the deathshroud. I use another 7 marines, another hauler and Drone, 5 termies, another Daemon Prince, and then a blight Bringer and blight spawn.

I generally play the objectives. Death guard will never board a good player. Keep the three blight haulers in a group and spread out to cover the troops and March them with the marines and blight Bringer. Usually have the non winged demon prince and plague caster with them for miasma on the haulers. Fan out for objectives after the haulers get tabled. Pbc is for getting up close and distractions. The two drones and winged demon prince are for flying around and annoying what needs to be tied up. Drop termies where needed or on a unguarded objective. Works very well I find. I'm trying to only use units that are death guard with disgustingly resilient, for fluff's sake.

• 8 months later...

Hi guys and gals.

Comming back from the dead, after a long hiatus from gaming.... and am jumping straight into a small local tournament.

I need your advice! It's 2k pts, with maelstrom missions and I seem to have lost my daemon prince :( (can't find it anywhere) so will have to adjust the list a bit.

What I have at the mo:

Battalion Detachment

HQ: 220pts.

Lord of Chaos: 110pts

+plaguebringer, Arch Contaminator, combi-melta, terminator armour.

Troops:

7xPlague Marines: 182pts

7xPlague Marines: 146pts

Heavy Support:

Land Raider: 303pts

+havoc launcher

Plagueburt crawler: 140pt

+ 2xplaguespitters, heavy slugger.

Elites:

3xDeathshroud Terminators: 156pts

Outrider Detachment:

HQ - DP should go here but without it I have no idea.

Fast attack:

1xFoetid Bloat Drone: 158pts

+2x plaguespitters, plague probe

That ammounts to 1659pts and 341 pts left ot fill the gap.

What I have in my collection:

Horticulos Slimux

20xPlaguebearers

3 Nurgling Bases

3x Plague Drones

Helbrute with lascannon

3-6 Beasts of Nurgle/Chaos spawn/Plague toads

GuO

5 old terminators - this unit would probably cost me a few -VPs for lack of WYSIWYG (the tourney has a -1VP for each non-WYSIWYG model)

Another Chaos lord

I see a couple of options:

A) Add the 2nd chaos lord to the outrider detachment, add the helbrute and save leftover points for daemon summoning. I kind of like the idea of leaving circa 140pts for summoning, be it a 20 man plaguebearer BOMB a few beasts of nurgle o plague drones, depending on the situation. Having a 2nd chaos lord lets me sacrifice his mobility for summoning while also allowing me to split my forces up without losing out on the reroll bubble.

b) Incorporating the fast attack elements into the battalion and just taking a 2nd detachment full of Daemons. This option would give me more CP and access to the tasty DoC stratagems. It would also get me more troops to grab objectives while on the other hand it doesn't give me the offensive prowess of option A. Would then probably swap plague bringer on the Lord in favour of the fugaris helm to have a greater reroll bubble.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...